Author Topic: WHR HP G300N Wireless Bridge Configuration with latest professional build  (Read 22415 times)

SilverPuppy

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 1

What is the build number on the one that worked for you? I have heard that 13535 worked, but it looks like you might be using 14684. Please confirm the build number that is working for you.

 

I think it is despicable that Buffalo is selling these units as DD-WRT ready, when in reality, most of the functionality that is off the beaten path for routers flat-out doesn't work with DD-WRT. Buffalo, if you care, you need to get your buns down to wherever the good people making DD-WRT live, and have a conference with them in which code is written, analyzed, and tested until you have a 100% working DD-WRT for Atheros.

 

Either that, or go back to Broadcom chipsets going forward and offer to exchange all the Atheros units free of charge.

 

I know this: Linksys equipment hasn't looked so attractive to me in years.


pissed

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 1

I am using build 19154.  Client bridge does not work for me, a frustrating experience like so many others have reported in this thread using earlier builds.  I did find a temporary workaround. Telnetting to the Buffalo unit  I noticed that the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf was the same IP address as the address assigned to the unit. With this nameserver address I could not ping even the gateway router. I changed the nameserver address to the one I wanted using vi.  Then I rebooted the gateway router and within minutes I could ping anywhere.  And pinging through the night showed that the connection was stable. BUT the moment I rebooted or powered down and up the unit, or saved or applied settings from the web interface, the nameserver setting reverted back to the unit's IP address and I could no longer ping outside the unit any more.  So if after any power failure or any configuration change or reboot from the web interface, I am willing to telnet in and change the nameserver back and reboot the host router, then the Buffalo unit works as a client bridge.  It would seem that there would be a simple way to fix this problem.  I tried to permanently change /etc/resolv.conf trying to remove the symlink to /tmp/resolv.conf but was unsuccessful because the /etc directory seems to be read only. If I can't find a permanent workaround I shall have to return this unit to the store.


tlappalainen

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 1

I tried with newest build I found build 20119. It seem to have same problem that Client Bridge works through LAN but not with WLAN. It has the same problem that /etc/resolv.conf points to router itself.

 

Anyway by setting Wireless-"Basic Settings"-"Default GW Mode" to Manual and then defining my internet router as gateway, it seem to work.

 

It also works by setting "echo nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx>/etc/resolv.conf" (xx... is of coarse my internet gw ip) in Commands "Save Startup". Then /etc/resolv.conf will be updated on reboot.

 

With both method there still seem to be some problem with name resolution. With new pages it almost allways first fails, but works with try again.