Author Topic: WHR HP G300N Wireless Bridge Configuration with latest professional build  (Read 27463 times)

pissedboutbridg

• Calf
Re: WHR HP G300N Wireless Bridge Configuration with latest professional build
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »

I have a WHR-HP-GN and Client bridge does not work! I have a linksys wrt54g that is running dd-wrt and it connects to my AP just fine. I did identical steps on this POS and it says its connected, my AP lists it as a wireless client, but I get no internet access. This is a huge flaw and has wasted hours of my time. I will be returning this to newegg and leaving a review to warn others not to waste hours of their life on faulty buffalo products. If someone from Buffalo would like to rectify this please feel free to email me.

sherdog16

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »

I'm having the same problem.  I see a connection between the 2 points but get no internet from my WDS AP, only the WDS station.  I don't understand!!  I don't want to waste anymore time if this hasn't been resolved and is a Buffalo issue.  Please help!!

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »

Please provide all details for people to be able to assist, or call the local Buffalotech support line, if you want immediate help without supplying enough details.

BillGiles

• Calf

I just bought two WHR-HP-G300N's and followed Paul's instructions on page one to set up the bridging between them. It almost works, but the wireless client only stays connected for 2-7 seconds then drops. I've changed wireless channels, different modes etc with no changes. Prevoius experience with Linksys 54G's running DD-WRT was not this difficult. Should I regret this purchase?

Madnick

• Tatanka

"Should I regret this purchase?"

If you want to use DD-WRT, then yes you should.

Revert to the "user friendly" firmwares on both units and use WDS

Jotin

• Big Bull

BillGiles, if you want to PM me your contact information I can call you and walk you through the set up. 

Cherryopolis

• Calf

I bought the G300N based on its advertised claims for the sole purpose of being a wireless bridge in my home network so as to add internet access for my home-theater components in my downstairs .   LIke others, I have spent many hours trying to configure my WHR-HP-G300N as a wireless bridge. My AP is a Linksys WRT310Nv1 router, which does not support WDS, so I do not have that option.  As others have posted, I can see the G300N as a client on my 310N, so I know the wireless is setup properly (it will get an IP address in Client mode as well).  My laptop gets IP addresses from the G300N if DHCP is enabled, so I know the router side of things is working. Obviously the packets are not getting routed or forwarded to/from the radios MAC to the router.

I am very adept now with the process:  Factory (hard) reset; Change IP address and gateway.  Release IP address on laptop to work on changed subnet;  Change wireless configuration to match 310N (I always check to make sure the radios are connected).  Reboot.  Change to Client Bridge.  Change Firewall settings;  Change Gateway to Router.  Save; reboot;  Rinse and repeat, changing up the order once in a while just to keep things fresh (basically following http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged instructions).

My assumption is that the router (eth0) and the wireless (ath0) interfaces must be bridged, or a static route must be set up between them to make this work, which Paul hints at in his instructions earlier in this thread, but the internal bridges apply to WDS configurations and I can't get it to work.  I have tried many combinations, trying to think "logically" through the process, and while I know some about networking, I don't know enough to fully understand the interconnections and the internal neworking configurations and routes and what I should be seting up.  Of course, I shouldn't have to for setting up a basic, "advertised" capability.

I have the original box out and am getting ready to send back to the store and buy a router that will actually work and doesn't require a bottle of aspirin for setup.  However, I thought I would try a deperation cry for help before doing so.

Let me ask the most fundamental question to the Buffalo folks:  Can the G300N ever work as aClient (wireless) bridge  with a WRT310N (Broadcom Chipset BCM4785), or, as it was advertised, any brand of router?  If not now, wIll updates to DD-WRT allow this?

And BillGiles and Jotin, if you have some insight, can you please post.  Curious to see if you were able to get it working.

Thanks for any feedback,

-Paul C.

jleable

• Calf

My parents live in the boondocks and use a 3g wireless AP for their internet. I used a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N as a repeater to extend the range of the Verizon 3g device which is only around 30 feet. I was originally having a lot of difficulty with the Buffalo DD-WRT firmware. I used the following procedure to use the Buffalo router as a repeater to extend the wireless network under a new SSID. I also found out that the Client Bridge mode seems to be the only way to make a true repeater and it is like the repeater mode that is used a Broadcom based routers. Regular client mode will only connect the original LAN to the router wirelessly but will not rebroadcast the signal.

This procedure worked for me.

General instruction: Religiously Follow the wiki for the generic Buffalo procedures in firmware update.
You MUST do hard reset INCLUDING change login/password before/after firmware update. I used the latest (V24 SP2 [beta] build 14896) as the router database recommended. I used the firmware upgrade section of the Buffalo DD-WRT to change the firmware to DD-WRT build 14896.

Set the router power switch to ON always (not AUTO)

Assuming you successfully loaded the two firmwares "buffalo-to-dd-wrt_webflash-MULTI.bin" first or  "whr-hp-gn-firmware-MULTI.bin".

1. Hard reset the router. Change login name/password as necessary.
2. Settings-Basic. Disable WAN. Save.
3. Settings-Basic. Disable DHCP. Save.
4. (VERY IMPORTANT)Status - Wireless. Site Survey, select the AP you want to connect. Save. Apply.
6. Wireless - Basic. Here the Mode is "automatically" set to CLIENT. Save.
7. Disable Firewall. Save. Apply.
8. Basic - Advanced routing. Set to ROUTER. Save. Apply. WAIT FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES as the router will connect/disconnect about 3 times.
9. Set PC LAN to DHCP
10. WAIT for at least 5 MINUTES. Sometimes, getting an IP address from the AP takes time.

===========
Continue here if you want to use as a repeater:

11. Change PC LAN TCP/IP to 192.168.1.10 Login to dd-wrt again (192.168.1.1)
12. Wireless-Basic. Select Mode to "CLIENT BRIDGE". Add a VIRTUAL INTERFACE. SSID should be different. The default is dd-wrt-vap. See note 1 below.
Mode: AP. Save. See note 2 below.

13. (OPTIONAL) Wireless - Security. You can add encryption/authentication here. Save. Apply. WAIT FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES as the router will connect/disconnect about 3 times. Note: If your original LAN has security then the virtual interface will not work until security is entered under the physical network in wireless security.
14. Set PC LAN to DHCP
15. WAIT for at least 5 MINUTES. Sometimes, getting an IP address from the AP takes time.

gbxk86a

• Calf

I have used dd-wrt client bridge modes with Linksys and Asus Broadcom-based routers, but did not use them to create repeater, i.e. without creating virtual interfaces. 

I did use two WHR HP G300N recently to create a WDS AP and a WDS station to create a bridge.   I did not intend to use the WDS station as a repeater.  However, I found out the unit tended to disconnect easily without creating a virtual interface.  I have tried to use strictly client bridge (without virtual interface like jleable did), but I never get a proper connection that way.  WDS AP and WDS station seem to work best for me, but it seems that I had a occasional disconnect if I specifcy AP to be g/n mixed mode and station to be n only mode.  After I specified n only modes in both, the units remain connected after three days.

I notice today that there ia an alpha version for dd-wrt in the download area today.  I have heard for quite some time that a new version will be forthcoming to solve some bugs in the bridge mode.  Does anybody know what this alpha version fix?

gbxk86a

• Calf

Try to update the firmware to alpha version of 16753 using dd-wrt web interface - firmware upgrade under administration.

Try many times, but each time after a few seconds, it said upgrade failed.  Another disappointment with Buffalo - first they list client bridge and client as optional modes but never worked for me.  Now they post an firmware update that cannot be flashed into the unit.

I certainly would like to know if somebody is able to upgrade to this alpha version and try to see if client bridge mode works (without virtual interface) or not.

gbxk86a

• Calf

Just noticed that the file has been changed for this alpha release, judging from the file name of the firmware.  It was  ....1653...-eu-us.enc instead of .....16753...-eu-us.enc now.  Will try again tonight when I get home.

gbxk86a

• Calf

The new firmware 16753 now can be flashed to the unit successfully.  The client bridge mode still does not work.  It looks like there was some changes to this mode as the menu, unlike the other dd-wrt versions I am familiar with, asks for default GW (I guess that means gateway) mode - either auto DHCP or manual.  If manual is specified, then one needs to specify an IP for the gateway.  I tried various way but still could not connect in client bridge mode to another WHR HP G300N as the AP.

WDS AP and WDS station pair still works, but I do not know how that affects the bandwidth.  I have two other Netgear WNR2000 running with TOMATO connecting to the WDS AP too and I wonder if they are affected if the master is WDS AP instead as AP.

Well, if someone knows how to connect the G300N as a client bridge, please let me know how.

geas_sama

• Calf

Apologies for the (incredibly) lengthy delay. Had some unfortunate life issues come up. My network hasn't changed in either set up or performance. I've just come back to try to resolve this issue, hopefully that's still possible.

My routers are still configured per Paul's walkthru, using Channel 9. Both are running the same firmware ( DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US ) which I suspect is outdated but haven't had time to update. My upstairs router is connected to my cable modem, the downstairs router is the AP. I'm guessing the two are ~30' apart as the crow flies and much of that seperation is an open staircase, not solid wall.

hjacobson

• Calf

Thunderous silence about the latest Buffalo DD-WRT build - v24-SP2 build 17135 posted 2011-06-06 - for Client Bridge. My first attempt with the new firmware failed. A google search of WHR-HP-G300N + "client bridge" returns failures, not successes. To be charitable perhaps those who successfully configured WHR-HP-G300N for client bridge just don't write about it.  

Disappointing the Buffalo people in this thread who ignored client bridge, writing instead about WDS mode and pointing to instructions for the WHR-HP-G54 - as if the models were similar and instructions appropriate! ??

?Ah, yes I should write something about myself as this is my first post with this user ID.

I've been an IT consultant for several decades. I've used and deployed Buffalo AP/routers for almost a decade. My good experience with Buffalo AP/routers made them my top choice. That is until I went through the same problems as others reported in this thread.

Does anyone have successful experience making client bridge work on the WHR-HP-G300N with the latest firmware 17135?

kotlec

• Calf

My 300N v2 is working as a client bridge.  Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/30/10) std?

It is from DD-WRT page. I have tryed new versions and they not worked. But this worked from first try. 

Bad thing is that fw isnt stable to my liking. I need to reset it almost every day as WIFI connection to router is lost. I have heard that autoreset can be set though.

May be there are better firmware but I was tired to investigate after this worked.