Author Topic: WHR HP G300N Wireless Bridge Configuration with latest professional build  (Read 27465 times)

Ronnie_USA

• Calf
Re: WHR HP G300N Wireless Bridge Configuration with latest professional build
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 07:29:55 AM »

PixelFreak wrote:

I don't see how setting up the router using WDS "solves" his problem.  He is asking for the bridge connection to be set up, but only instructions for WDS has been provided.

I agree, and am having the same problem.  Please provide us with clear instructions on how to get a second router to properly BRIDGE with the first router, not just to be used as a repeater through WDS...

I want this second router to bridge the same subnet wirelessly and allow wired clients on the far side to have full access to the subnet/network.  So far, this has not worked.

See if this helps You any>> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Atheros

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »

However WDS should accomplish the same results via wireless.  If you want to connect a wired Bridge follow the steps below

Disable the wan port in set up

Set a static IP within your existing subnet

in Advanced routing change the operating mode to Router

Then use the lan port to connect to the network.

Save your changes

nchall

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 12:26:44 PM »

the problem is with the madwifi driver dd-wrt is using, so until that is resolved pointing us to a poorly maintained wiki is less than helpful.

most of the people on here are fairly technical and if we are having these problems buffalo should certainly do more than "bump this up as a bug".  you've clearly advertised functionality that doesn't exist at present, and certainly didn't when the item was sold.  i would advise you to address this quickly as remedies become exponentially more costly and your options decrease farther down the line.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »

I have 2 Buffalo routers that use ddwrt at home, both are configured to use WDS, and both work as advertised.  I am able to connect them wireless and use the Ethernet ports on the AP as well as the router.  This is how I stream my media from the computer room to the downstairs TV room.  DDWRT posted that this is only designed to work with the same chipset.  Buffalo has only advertised that it comes with DDWRT.  I think  your argument is with the wrong company.  Now that said, I have no issue reporting that to my management that this is a HIGHLY requested issue and I will push to get it resolved as quickly as possible.  Also since we are all fairly technical people we also should respect DDWRT for what it is, an open source platform that has opened the doors for many things.  I will continue to work out as many issues as we can with both Buffalo and DDWRT.

nchall

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 06:54:02 PM »

this is from the buffalo press release announcing the new routers:

"Buffalo’s new DD-WRT enabled high power router and access point offering will include WZR-HP-G300NH, WHR-HP-G300N and WHR-HP-GN, all delivering three-in-one functionality that is unmatched in the market.  These new wireless solutions can either function as a high power router and access point, a wireless bridge or as a universal range extender. Uniquely, when operating as a universal range extender, all of Buffalo’s DD-WRT enabled wireless solutions can connect to any router, regardless of brand, greatly extending the range of wireless coverage, eliminating ‘dead spots’."

clearly refutes your earlier point.  all i am asking for is the basic functionality that was behind my purchase decision.  i can no longer return the item as i have been waiting for you all to fix this issue and 30 days have elapsed.

geas_sama

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »

I've been using the setup Paul described on p.1 of the thread and all was working fine until recently. For the past couple days I've been getting ~500kilobits/s connection speed with intermittent spikes to ~3megabits/s. I've checked with my ISP and tested my connection through the modem; not great, but about 10megabits/s. I've power cycled about everything connected to either G300N and I can't seem to resolve this issue.

The only change I made from Paul's instructions was to enable uPnP in the hopes that my XBox would stop giving me it's "I don't like your NAT settings" problem. It didn't, incidentally.

Did enabling uPnP drop my LAN bandwidth to nothing, or are the issues seperate?

geas_sama

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »

Well, as far as I can tell the uPnP settings didn't affect anything. Enabled, the XBox still has connectivity problems. Disabled, bandwidth through the routers (either) is barely 10% of what it is when using just the modem.

I would really appreciate some assistance on getting my network speeds back up. I've got a tech from my ISP coming today but I'm pretty certain he won't find any problems with my modem or signal.

padraig

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:42 AM »

i have to agree with earlier posts in this thread .. the functionality does not work as advertised .. i am using wds between two whr hp gn models .. to say its been frustrating is an understatment .. firstly can paul or dr memory confirm theres an issue with dhcp when using wds in the described setup in this thread .. i find i can connect on once and then no more from the client end of the wds .. ping still works from the command within the client wds router and can ping the master .. i have no signal strength issues as i am getting 20 to 40 % strength .. paul dr memory should i open a new thread for this issue .. using 14998 ddwrt on both routers .. problem dhcp via the client AP in wds does not work after connecting once .. setup is as follows

wds ap encryption on ( WPA AES )  dhcp on static ip

wds client encryption on ( WPA AES ) dhcp off static ip and wan connection set disabled and dns & gateway pointing to wds ap static address

virtual interface enabled on wds client same settings as wds AP ( also in AP mode not wds AP )

DHCP lease comes through once and never again until both routers are rebooted ..

Further reseach indicates this is issue with dhcpd daemon in WDS ap unit ( lots info on this in google as you cannot delete a lease from the dhcp database ) .. a work around is to use DNSmasq instead which i tried and it would not work .. can someone at least confirm this is a known issue as i have wasted so much time on this and just keep getting disappointed .. paul dr memory please make a suggestion

padraig

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 09:41:12 AM »

I have almost the exact same set up, with an exception to the security I use TKIP only. 

I will over the day or so make the necessary changes to try to replicate your issue.  How far apart are your routers and what channel are you using?

padraig

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »

Paul thanks for the quick response .. i have just returned from the client where they are installed .. uptime was 7 days .. anyone with the key could connect to the master AP .. the client AP would not accept connections at all .. i tried 3 different laptops while onsite .. all the same fine on the master but maybe work on the client ap 

during the initial config phase of this setup .. i tried tkip, aes and aes+tkip and had the same issue .. the routers were a room apart .. i also had different SSID for master and client AP ..which you posted was a requirement for correct operation in this thread .. but it still happened .. then i tried to operate in mixed mode only still the same ( my preference is for NG mixed in order to compensate for the reduced throughput in WDS mode but this is flexible if i can get it to work ) 

After much research i did a 30-30-30 on both routers and reconfigured no success .. i tried DNSmasq and could not get it to work at all

I also found that it would not work at all until i added the mac address to the wds tab

moving routers onsite the routers are 3 rooms apart and get 10 to 20 signal on the client mac under the wireless status page .. ( NG mixed mode .. mixed mode only give 5 to 10 % signal ) .. before installing i did a full channel scan using inSSider and put them on channel 1 using upper channel for control channel ..i still cannot figure it out

The LAN and WAN domain settings are not required AFAIK as i have set these up without any difference

Can u confirm that the VAP setting for SSID must be different to the Master AP in WDS mode and also do the WDS tab have any use at all

Many thanks again for your assistance

Padraig

GTrius

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 05:27:55 PM »

I bought my WHR-HP-G300N a few weeks ago from NewEgg. I intended to get an older one and install DD-WRT on it myself, but I sprung for the newer one with your "Pro" DD-WRT firmware on it instead.

This firmware DOES lack functionality. I spoketo a support professional about it, and it seems that Buffalo has a different definition of "wireless bridge" from the people who made DD-WRT.

What people here are asking for is a point-to-point wireless connection-- a wireless router connected to a modem (not necessarily a WHR-HP-G300N, or even necessarily a Buffalo router, as I believe is the case for nchall) being connected to WIRELESSLY by a Buffalo router with DD-WRT (WHR-HP-G300N, in my case) and relaying a connection to clients wired into it. This is possible with other routers running DD-WRT, without any implementation of WDS, using the "Client Bridge" setting under Wireless configuration.

I'm running this sort of setup on a bunch of Linksys WRT54G routers now, but the Client Bridge setting on my WHR-HP-G300N doesn't do this. It doesn't seem to do anything. This is a problem that YOU, Buffalo, need to solve.

Pasoc

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »

Buffalo -- I was excited to see formal DD-WRT support and bought 5 of these puppies.  However, my faith and fervor for your experiment into DD-WRT is starting to fizzle.

Not necessarily because you don't support Client Bridge mode, but that you allow it to be a selectable option.   I doubt that I'm the only guy who has spent 3 weeks banging his head at the DD-WRT site, trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong in trying to get Client Bridge Mode working.

If you guys don't address the issue, can you please have the decency to remove it as an option?

So I tried the WDS like suggested.  It seems super flakey without a precise power up sequences.  I've never had to deal with making sure my customer installations boot up one router prior to the other in order to operate properly.  The DD-WRT Client Bridge Mode on other hardware just works reliably, and thus seems to be an advantage of Client Bridge.  Do I have something configured incorrectly, or should I expect power outages at 4am when nobody's there to boot them just right to be a major headache?

One more thing -- So far, no matter what I do, I can't get the TX Power to go higher than 19 dbm (<100mw).  Is there some magic unlocking mechanism to get the "HP" model to put out?

Thanks.  I'll buy lots more if we can get a couple of these things worked out.  I absolutely love that the antennae are replaceable.

uggla

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 06:53:12 AM »

My Tx Power seems locked to only 16 dbm! Editing the Tx Power option under advanced settings does nothing. Is using WDS a way to make my wifi devices talk to my ethernet devices over the lan?

andrewyxm

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 01:23:30 AM »

I bought 2 of them one month ago because the AD said this model was great! But it's NOT!

It has wasted me lots of time... how can I return them? I think Buffalo must have a solution for customers. Either fix them, or recall them

macfive

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »
I had bought 4 of these routers from NewEgg, with great expectations. I had been using Buffalo Routers since the days of the WHR-G125, especially the WHR-HP-G54, both of which use the Broadcom chipset and DD-WRT from around the same time, in probably every type of configuration possible, AP Only, WDS, Client Mode, Client Bridge, Wireless Bridge, etc. Swapping over to the WZR-HP-G300NH I expected to work just as well as what I had been used to before but there has been nothing but issues. I have tried the Stock Firmware from Buffalo (1.76), the Buffalo Branded DD-WRT (V24-SP2 build 14998), the latest stable versions of DD-WRT (14896), even the latest beta versions (15778) but simply could not get a stable AP and/or Client Bridge working. There are a lot of posts about the Wireless N (madWiFi) driver, the Atheros chipset, etc. simply not being able to cut it, one post recommend using Wireless G instead, another post said to try the Broadcom chipsets, another said to try OpenWRT, etc. None provided any solutions to the issue. I now have two WZR-HP-G300NH's which are running the latest Buffalo DD-WRT which I can connect to, get an IP address but cannot do anything else, PING fails, etc. I have tried Buffalo's CD Image to revert to the stock firmware but simply get an Requires Administration Permissions error, irrespective if I actually run it as Admin or set the Compatibility Mode to Run as Admin. The ONLY silver lining in all of this is that I tried this first in house before doing anything with any client's otherwise this would have been a huge embrassement to my 30+ years of a Systems and Development guru. I would hate to know how many hours I have spent trying to figure out if there was any interference, incomplete router flashing, invalid configuration, etc. but the simply state is that it runs for a while and then dies, a simple reboot get it working again, which leads me to that firmware being the issue. I am now trying other implementations of WRT, like OpenWRT (which is don't like as much as DD-WRT) but looks like I either throw away all my Buffalo Wireless N routers, especially those with the Atheros chipsets (which I believe to be the better chipset), I have 4 WZR-HP-G300NH's (Atheros ar9132), 2 WHR-HP-G300N's (Atheros ar7240) and a WHR-HP-GN (Atheros ar7240). AARRGGHH!!