Author Topic: WHR HP G300N Wireless Bridge Configuration with latest professional build  (Read 27480 times)

nchall

• Calf

Still doesn't work.  Won't connect to another DD-WRT running router over mixed G/N network.  What driver are you using in these builds?  How can you release a product or firmware that doesn't provide the most basic advertised functionality?  And on a side note, why is the release date on the support website still listing June, when the latest professional build was released only recently.  Sloppy!

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: WHR HP G300N Wireless Bridge Configuration with latest professional build
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »

WHR-HP-G300NHs connect to identical chipsets for WDS, as in, another WHR-HP-G300NH. chipsets with only G will have a different chipset and are not compatible for the WDS feature.

nchall

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »

Not talking about WDS, talking about wireless bridge.  Both routers are Broadcom chipset, and are wireless N.  This is a serious problem. You all maintain that DD-WRT is supported, but in the real world only limited functionality is possible.  Either get it working, or stop inducing people to buy a product with fraudulent claims.

geas_sama

• Calf

nchall, I'm having what sounds like the same problem. I'm trying to bridge two WHR-HP-G300N and having no success. Both are running DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std
(SVN revision 14998)
(though I did have trouble flashing the secondary router) and my primary lists the secondary as a wireless client.

Primary: WHR-HP-G300N
SSID: UberWAN (don't judge me, lol)

WPA2 Personal TKIP + AES

AP Mode, Channel 9

Secondary: WHR-HP-G300N

SSID: UberWAN

WPA2 Personal TKIP+AES

Client Bridge Mode, Channel 9

Gateway set to Primary router's IP

I've tried running a virtual interface and not on the secondary, neither works. If there's anything else I can try, I'm at my wit's end.

drmemory

• Big Bull

First, try reflashing the FW on that second AP, in case the first flash was not 100%.

Then,try setting up in the simplest bridging manner first, without security, just to verify the WDS/wireless bridge between the two WHRs is working. If working, add security next and reverify connectivity.

UberWAN - cool name!

geas_sama

• Calf

I'm not sure what the simplest bridge would be. I'm not sure how to set up WDS using the Buffalo DD-WRT. Would trying the client bridge mode without security be simplest? Is there another way to bridge them? I'm pretty inexperienced with all this, so I've been going by what I've read on these and the DD-WRT forums.

The methods I've tried are:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I'll try reflashing the secondary again, I really hope it's just a bad flash. I didn't think that was it because, aside from completely failing to work, it's been working fine. lol By that I mean the interface, etc.

Thanks for the timely response, drmemory. I'll post results of my reflash and unsecured attempt at bridging using what I tried before.

drmemory

• Big Bull

here's a link to basic WDS/bridge setup

instructions

You're welcome - just want you to get your setup in place and working.

geas_sama

• Calf

I started my setup before your reply was up, drmemory, so I'll report what I've gotten from that.

I reflashed a couple times; the first didn't seem to go well. After starting the upgrade, it seemed to go fine. When it finished, though, I couldn't connect to 192.168.11.1 anymore. I waited a bit before trying again but couldn't. So I reset it which allowed me to connect, then upgraded again. That time it seemed to go through fine.

Now I've configured my primary and secondary as before; same SSID and channel, but no security. The client router shows on my primary under status > Wireless as a client. However, I can't connect to the client's IP (which isn't the same as the primary) and the client can't connect to anything.

I've looked at the basic setup that you linked to but I'm afraid I'm not sure what those instructions would translate to under DD-WRT. I'll give it a shot, though. About the WDS setup: how is it different from a client bridge? And what wireless mode should the router and client be set to (WDS AP and WDS Station are my options for WDS, otherwise it's client, client bridge, AP or ad hoc)

Paul

• Big Bull

So to answer  nchall's question if your using a DDWRT version of Buffalos WHR HP G300N your NOT using a broadcom chipset its is in fact a Atheros ar7240 and this is most likely the issue.  We are attempting to work with DDWRT to resolve this "issue".  However at this time we do not have an ETA.

If you are using both Atheros chips sets here is a walk through. 

Introduction

WDS on the Atheros-based routers(WHR-HP-GN and WHR-HP-G300N) works much different than the Broadcom-basedrouters (WHR-HP-G54 and WHR-G54S). On Atheros chips, the only way to do WDS isfor the repeaters to work as clients. In the normal Buffalo firmware, it'spretty easy to set up. It's much more involved on DD-WRT.

NamingConventions

In this How To, the terms used aredifferent than what you may be used to, so I'll explain them here first:

• AP, Access Point     -- The AP is the root router, that is, the router that connects to the     internet and provides DHCP.
  • WDS Station     -- The router(s) that form a client connection to the AP. Also called a     Repeater.
  • Virtual Interface     -- A wireless interface that doesn't physically exist. It is merely an     extension of the physical wireless interface.
    • On Atheros chips, the first wireless interface is      called "ath0", and virtual interfaces are called      "ath0.x", where "x" is the number of the virtual      interface, starting with 1.
    • For example, the first virtual interface is called      "ath0.1", the second "ath0.2", and  

Gotchas

Be careful of a few things when youset this up.

• DO NOT use the WDS tab under Wireless settings. This only applies for DD-WRT on Broadcom chips, which     we don't support, since Buffalo hasn't released their DD-WRT version for     it.
  • DO NOT try to do WDS between Atheros and non-Atheros     devices! (for example, WHR-HP-GN and     WHR-HP-G54). It won't work except in very rare cases.
  • MAKE SURE that the SSID you use on the AP is different     than the one you set for  

SettingUp WDS

Start out with a computer wired intothe AP.

AccessPoint (root router)

AP Basic Wireless config

Easy Part:

1. In Wireless->Basic Settings:
    1. Set Wireless Mode to "WDS AP".
    2. Change the SSID to something known, and note      it.
    3. A static Channel is also recommended, but not      required.
    4. Click Apply Settings.
  2. In Wireless->Wireless Security:
    1. Set the security to whatever you like.
    2. Note the security type and passphrase.
    3. Click Apply Settings.

WDSStation(s)

WDS Station Basic Wireless config

This is the harder part:

1. Connect the computer to the WDS Station, and set a     static on the computer to 192.168.11.150.
  2. Log into the WDS Station's interface.
  3. In Setup->Basic Setup:
    1. Under WAN Connection Type, set Connection      Type to "Disabled".
    2. Under Network Setup, Router IP:
      1. Change the Local IP       Address to 192.168.11.100 (or something more if using more than one       WDS Station).
      2. Change the Gateway to       192.168.11.1.
    3. Under Network Setup, Network Address Server      Settings (DHCP), change DHCP Server to "Disable".
    4. Click Apply Settings.
  4. Log in to the new IP address you set for Local IP     Address.
  5. Under Wireless->Basic Settings (read     carefully, this is where it gets confusing):
    1. Under Physical Interface ath0:
      1. Set Wireless Mode to       "WDS Station".
      2. Set Wireless Network Name       to the SSID used on the AP (this is the SSID that the WDS Station is       connecting to as a client).
    2. Under Virtual Interfaces, click Add.
    3. Under Virtual Interfaces, Virtual Interfaces      ath0.1 (this is the interface that client computers can connect to):
      1. Set the Wireless Mode       to "AP" (or "WDS AP" if daisy-chaining).
      2. Set the SSID to       something DIFFERENT than the previous SSID --IMPORTANT.
    4. Click Apply Settings.
  6. Under Wireless->Wireless Security:
    1. Under Physical Interface ath0, set security      settings to match those on the AP.
    2. Under Virtual Interfaces ath0.1, set security      settings. The security settings here may be different than previous, but      most likely you'll want to set them the same.
    3. Click Apply Settings.

Testing

WDS Station Wireless Node Status

1. On the WDS Station, navigate to Status->Wireless.    
  2. Check under Wireless Nodes. If you've set it up     right, you should see a heading called Access Points & Clients.     In the table, you should see the AP's MAC address. You don't need to check     it... since it's connecting in client mode, if the heading is Access     Points & Clients, and you see an entry in the list that has Interface     showing "ath0", it's connected correctly.
  3. Try pinging the AP while connected to the WDS Station.     If it replies, you're good!
  4. You can also check the status in the AP:

geas_sama

• Calf

drmemory, paul, thank you guys so much for helping me out. Paul's setup seems to be working great. My down/up on the client end is about 3mbps for both (per speedtest.net), is that what I should be expecting? The router is giving me 9 down and 3 up. Terrible, because I'm paying for 24 or something like that.

Thanks again!

nchall

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »

"We are attempting to work with DDWRT to resolve this "issue".  However at this time we do not have an ETA."

Don't you think this is a problem?  You advertise that this router supports DD-WRT but it clearly doesn't, and you don't have any idea when you will fix it!  Sounds like a false claim to me.

** the thread question was answered in page one of this thread - how to setup wireless Bridge configuration (correction - how to set up WDS). If you have questions about how to use other features.If the explanation doesn't work for you, describe why, in enough detail to where we can duplicate your symptoms, and provide a fix, or send a bug report.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »

you may want to try to change the channel, and or even try moving the AP closer to the router (at least for testing).  Also what is your client capable of (N, G, B, ect..)  Make sure all the devices have the latest firmware as well

nchall

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »

sorry but the thread question has not been answered, and furthermore i started the thread.  currently there is no way to wireless bridge with this router running dd-wrt that gives an acceptable user experience.  as stated above, there is no eta for when this issue will be fixed.  not sure why issue was put in quotes as it is most certainly a real issue.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 03:20:13 PM »

Did you set up as per Paul's instructions - if so, list your data and explain what's going on in your system, so we can try to duplicate, then either provide an answer or push it up as a bug.

PixelFreak

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »

I don't see how setting up the router using WDS "solves" his problem.  He is asking for the bridge connection to be set up, but only instructions for WDS has been provided.

I agree, and am having the same problem.  Please provide us with clear instructions on how to get a second router to properly BRIDGE with the first router, not just to be used as a repeater through WDS...

I want this second router to bridge the same subnet wirelessly and allow wired clients on the far side to have full access to the subnet/network.  So far, this has not worked.