Author Topic: Media server that can be accessed from anywhere in the world?  (Read 2706 times)

aaz110

• Calf
Media server that can be accessed from anywhere in the world?
« on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »

Hi,

I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router. I was wondering if I could set it up to use the router with a hard drive attached to the USB port as a streaming media server that can be accessed from anywhere (with an internet connection of course), especially on Android phones. I would prefer to use a platter-based hard drive, but I can use a large USB flash drive if need be. I know that I can set up my computer to be a media server that can be accessed anywhere in the world, but the problem is that I don't always leave my computer turned on...whereas my router and cable modem are always on, no matter what. Also, if possible, I would prefer to use some kind of front-end software (such as OrbLive, Twonky, etc) as long as it has an Android app as well as a desktop client.  

My currently installed firmware is: DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std

I installed the official Buffalo DD-WRT firmware because I figured it would be the most likely to acheive what I want here, but I don't really know what to do with it as I've never used DD-WRT before. If I needed to (and if it would be easier), I wouldn't mind going back to the stock Buffalo firmware.

Sorry if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see anything. All the media server threads that I found seem to be setting up a media server on a local network. Thanks in advance for any responses. 

zuron

• Calf
Re: Media server that can be accessed from anywhere in the world?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:16:55 AM »

most likely not. DLNA operates through multicast and ISPs generally do not forward multicast traffic upstream unless you pay for it (heavily), assuming it is even available for residential connecitons.

uhClem

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »

But an ISP should never see the contents of a VPN.   Of course, then the trick is to get the router to forward multicast packets into the VPN connection. 

WZR-HP-G300NH VPN can't browse local network (local to the VPN)

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »

If you set up a VPN, you should be able to access the media server and NAS functions of the router from a remote client on the VPN.