Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH Slow to death several time every hour, both on LAN and WAN. Not an ISP issue.  (Read 8791 times)

Falmer

• Calf

I recently bought two unit for myself and a friend, thinking the features and price of this model were splendid.

Unfortunately we are both hitting the same problem: Erratically slow speed. It irregularly become extremely slow, and often drop connections. Gmail and video websites are particularly bad. Other websites will be ok. It's completely irregular.

I'm on ADSL through PPPoE, my friend is on cable. Both our accesses work wonder when we connect directly to the modems (so it is NOT a ISP issue).

My router switch is on, I've upgraded to the lastest firmware, the movie engine is off. Configuration is fairly standard.

I brought back my unit to have it exchanged, and I'm still having the same exact problems with the new machine...

I actually even get this issue when trying to connect to the router by LAN.

Falmer

• Calf

Does anybody know what to do to solve this?

kyomi7502

• Calf

You may want to post your configuration.  "Fairly standard" can mean anything :)

I'd just suggest update virus protection/malware protection and do a full scan.  Then use the simplest configuration that will work.

make sure all the pc's network settings are set to auto and use UPnP in the router.  see what that does :)  Also what kind of system are you working with?

Falmer

• Calf

Thank you for your answers.

Fairly Standard meant: I've renamed the single SSID, and am using a WPA-TSKIP encoding. Nothing beyond that.

In regards to your other suggestions, the problem is that this is happening on two different computers with two different systems (XP and Seven), and that it happens both on wireless and ethernet. 

As I mention I've even had the problem while trying to connect to the 192.168.11.1 address.

dudeman135

• Calf

I have no idea what your config/firmware versions are, but I have build 14998 which is the Buffalo branded dd-wrt firmware and had the same problem, slow even connecting to the router webpage.  On the Adminstration, Keep Alive tab I have the router set to reboot daily at a certain time and that helps big time.  Not ideal, but it helps. 

Falmer

• Calf

Thanks for the suggestion Dudeman. I'm running firmware 1.74. This is the non DD-WRT one.

I tried upgrading to the DD-WRT, but I keep getting an error message about how the firmware is not valid (even after downloading the file twice).

TBH, I'm waiting for an answer from the official support, but if this doesn't get resolved after that, I'll just go and ask for a refund back.

barbrino

• Calf

Falmer I share your pain! i bought this unit in June after careful consideration. I binned my Belkin (I know) as I sometimes daytrade and the unit would require powercycling twice a day. My modem is a TP Link 8840, know for stability. I have this in bridge mode connected to the WZR. My firmware is 1.74 and I am not considering upgrading to dd wrt given several posts about woeful performance with PPPoE ADSL.

The first 2 months with the WZR were hassle-free with maybe 2 power cylcles per month. My line speed was 12.9mb/sec with latency 22ms so very happy. Recently I have been experiencing deathly slow speeds at regular intervals (latency 7640ms 0.1mb/sec download) I have checked my modem thoroughly and it is solid as a rock when I remove the WZR.

In the past days the frequency of the slowdowns was may 1 every hour. I would power-cycle the unit or use the internet connection wizard in the router settings. This would fix the problem short term. I tried reinstallling everything which seemed to be of benfit for maybe half a day. Two days later I am basically stuck at stupidly slow speeds. When I ping google.com or its IP I time out - even when I am downloading a file (at maybe 40kb/se instead of my usual 1.2Mb/sec.).

Can anyone with technical knowledge help? I am prettty proficient with computers but not so much networking. I have a stable wireless connection of 270-300 Mbps at all times so nothing wrong witth the wireless. I'm happy To install any network analytoical software anyone may suggest or try any ideas anyone might have. I REALLY liked my setup and don't want to give up on Buffalo straight away. Of course I can return the unit but hopefully I can tweak some settings before I have to RMA. My settings are factory defualt.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Falmer

• Calf

Barbrino, thank you. You've described what I'm facing in a much more thorough way.

I have the same situation: pages that time out while I'm downloading/streaming/surfing, certain specific websites that cannot be reach even though I'm downloading/streaming/surfing...

All of this while being connected on the router. The connection is lightning fast whenever I'm connected directly to the modem.

As I mentionned this even happened trying to reach the router's config page, while connected by ethernet!

So far I've tried to upgrade the firmware, change the configuration, try either wireless or ethernet, dial the PPPoE connection from my computer (rather than let the router do it), and all solutions have failed.

AfterShock

• Calf

what happens if you go to the routers diagnostic tab and release and renew the ip address, does it go back to normal or just stay slow as hell? I had issues with the stock 1.74 fw issuing constant dhcp release commands for no reason and after a couple hours everything would come to a standstill, while using a linksys or buffalo router with ddwrt or openwrt my ip address has remained the same even after reboots and I haven't run into the slowdowns, according to my isp the only time I should be assigned a new ip address is if the mac address of my router changes or they come back online after regular maintenence or tech probs.

Falmer

• Calf

Aftershock, thanks for the input. This issue happens straight after repowering the router, so this doesn't seem to be a IP address problem.

quizzer

• Calf

I'm having the same problem here, just installed the WZR-HP-G300N build 14512 (not an G300NH if that matters) and have had extremely low download speeds of <800 kbs (usually 6,000 - 12,000 kbs) through Comcast.  Amazingly while the download speeds are bottoming, the uploads speeds remain around 2,500 -3,000 kbs.

One other anomaly is the inablity to access my SurfBoard cable modems configuration at 192.168.100.1  Each time I try, IE can't locate the site and ultimately sends it off to google as though it were an improper URL.  If I remove the router I can then get back into 192.168.100.1 with no trouble.

The router is pretty much configured as it came out of the box except I have wireless set to 'BG-Mixed' as I don't use any 'N' equipment.  And for what it's worth, my subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

wiraone

• Calf

If you're on wireless, check the 300Mbps wireless mode in the Wireless Config tab. If the bandwith is set to 40Mhz, change this to 20Mhz .. I've had a problem with mine when I set it up this morning and it was set to 40Mhz. So, I've change this to 20Mhz and this fix the problem.. pinging the router was around 20ms and sometime up to 200ms with timeout, changing this returning it to 0.3 - 0.4ms .. 

One thing though, with the latest firmware v1.74, I experienced drop of wireless connection. Out of the sudden, I'm disconnected and trying to reconnect give a timeout error. I'm changing the router switch at the back to ON as suggested by someone and will see if this will solve the problem.

dynek

• Calf

I'm having this exact same issue.

Throughput is great for a long while, then for instance I go to work and when I come back home at night ping is horrible, throughput is really really low. But if I do for instance a speedtest then it comes back all of a sudden to normal speed.

I'm running the Buffalo DD-WRT version.

ohi1l

• Calf

Have you checked for radio interference? ... Wireless phones operating at 2.4Ghz will interfere with WIfi. Check the wireless survey from the wireless Status page (DD-WRT firmware) check that your router has a substancially signal to noise ratio than the neighbors & all so not that you are on a differernt channel that any near by WAPs. If you firmware is setup to have the router select the channel, the slowdowns might be when the router is checking for a better channel.

jimmyj

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH - I have EXACT same problem. Likely Heat Problem...
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 11:15:28 PM »

Just got the WZR-HP-G300NH from newegg over the weeekend - uploaded and installed latest dd-wrt firmware from WEB UI perfectly - configured etc...

heat warning label on plastic backing stuck out to me when I unpacked... the router is a slim design so understandable it would get hot if such a small form factor... didnt think much of it but recall having read countless reviews of other branded routers using all other chipsets getting slow over time due to heat. So this crossed my mind when I was inexplicably waiting for pages to load as if I was on 33k dial up.

day 1 = realllllyyyy slow page loads so figured router needed reboot after initial config

day 2 = slow - tweaked some settings based on waaaay too much dd wrt reading... ok not too bad

day 3 (today) - had meetings got some real slow page loads / webex froze.

Unplugged. Removed. Re-installed belkin n+ gig router.

Problem solved 

ALL IS WELL. RMA APPROVED.