Author Topic: I tried Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH DD-WRT Official  (Read 10083 times)

Aveyer

• Big Bull
I tried Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH DD-WRT Official
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:21:39 AM »

Hi all, I finally gave in and tried official Buffalo DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std - build 14998 on my own WZR-HP-G300NH (B0 B0) and it is working PERFECTLY.

All was done in 20mhz channel width since the option for 40mhz is not in DD-WRT (unless it is in N only mode? I didn't try yet)

I have tried two adapters: Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP and  Intel Pro/Set Wireless 2200BG (minor).

I tested firstly using Mikrotik bandwidth test and then a file transfer on the WLI-UC-G300HP:

UDP upstream reached 85 megabits

UDP downstream reached 51 megabits

An FTP file transfer: 50 megabits downstream.

This is the same performance I got from the stock Bufffalo firmware in this location.

I check latency after that:

Latency for wireless and wired clients to WAN and LAN are a solid 1ms.

Here's the real interesting bit: The TX power seems to be locked at 13dBm which must be related to the built in Amplifiers.

My signal strength is THE EXACT SAME as with the stock Buffalo firmware, the client adapter (-41 dBm on WLI-UC-G300HP) position and location was not changed at all between the flash and test from stock to DD-WRT.

Also checked with an iPod Touch in a different room, -61dBm, same as stock.

The TX and RX rates are a solid 130mbps.

I have not tried the USB storage yet, not urgent.

How I flashed:

-Buffalo v1.74 -reset in the GUI

-Flashed to DD-WRT from the Buffalo GUI

-After flash to DD-WRT, held in reset button for 20 seconds.

Configured it.

Problem with the image links, re uploaded here:

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: I tried Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH DD-WRT Official
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:24:10 PM »

Aveyer - thank you for trying this out and giving it a good going over.

We are working with DDWRT on the transmit power setting.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »

Working with them how exactly? Because I already seem to be getting the exact same signal strength as stock firmware.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »

Aveyer, I can tell you how we work with them, if you email me at drmemory@buffalotech.com

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »

Sent.

DrewG5

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »

Do you get any TX/RX errors after an extended period of time with those settings? Also how many other networks are in range? When I used the same settings TX errors would go through the roof. I have changed a lot of settings at this point though but still have less luck than you have had.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »

There's only 1 other AP and thats mine, on the roof (Channel 13 10mhz channel width). The WZR-HP-G300NH is on channel 5.

There are a few TX errors but I think that only happens with the Intel pro set wireless 2200bg and only sometimes. Performance doesn't seem to be affected. Right now says  RX-no errors and TX 56 errors and doesn't seem to be going any higher.

DrewG5

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:54 PM »

Ok.. I have a theory that I have to many other AP in range for smooth sailing... My router is picking up 12 other AP's running in range (Eeep!). If I connect with the  Athros AR5B93 wifi card I have little to no errors :smileyhappy: The only change that I know improved things for me was setting TX and RX the same 3 TX 3 RX. I did so after reading the FCC test report and the data sheet I found here: http://www.buffalotech.com/files/products/wzr-hp-g300nh_DS.pdf

I'll post screen shots of the settings tomarrow when I get the time. So far I am happy with both the router and DD-WRT now..

DrewG5

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »

scub

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 04:04:38 AM »

my security light (lock LED) is no longer on after installing the WRT firmware.

firewall and wireless WPA2 is already enabled... with the other buffalo drivers the security LED on the modem was always solid.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »

Mine too, but I'd consider that as minor.

Colt725

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »

Thanks guys I was wanting to install this but I didn't have the time to do any tweaks.  Seems like a good upgrade.

AfterShock

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 01:04:27 AM »

scub wrote:

my security light (lock LED) is no longer on after installing the WRT firmware.

firewall and wireless WPA2 is already enabled... with the other buffalo drivers the security LED on the modem was always solid.

The security LED doesn't turn on in any version of ddwrt but they said this would be addressed in the next release, I hope they change the wireless LED to flash with activivity instead of a constant interval but these changes are minor compared to whats needed.

llnsj

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »

The few critical features that were advertised w/ this router are:

- NAS + Drive formating: I have  a hard drive that I formated as XFS w/ firmware 1.74 and now it's not mounted any more.  This dd-wrt firmware doesn't support any large file system such as NTFS or FAS.  When it tried to mount my drive it just failed and say NTFS or XFS are not support!  You must be kidding me to allow me to format in 1 firmware and later say no support.  This is customer data that you are serving!

- Bitorent: nice to have but as advertise onthe box

- DLNA/Media server

I notice many bug in wireless:

- Site survey always report 54b/g even the device is N available (check the TX and RX to see)

- TX and antenna gain setting do nothing.

Probably taking off the "repeater" "repeater bridge" from original dd-wrt is OK.

The key is the features come with this must be supported again.

LLN

DrewG5

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »

llnsj wrote:

The few critical features that were advertised w/ this router are:

- NAS + Drive formating: I have  a hard drive that I formated as XFS w/ firmware 1.74 and now it's not mounted any more.  This dd-wrt firmware doesn't support any large file system such as NTFS or FAS.  When it tried to mount my drive it just failed and say NTFS or XFS are not support!  You must be kidding me to allow me to format in 1 firmware and later say no support.  This is customer data that you are serving!

- Bitorent: nice to have but as advertise onthe box

- DLNA/Media server

I notice many bug in wireless:

- Site survey always report 54b/g even the device is N available (check the TX and RX to see)

- TX and antenna gain setting do nothing.

Probably taking off the "repeater" "repeater bridge" from original dd-wrt is OK.

The key is the features come with this must be supported again.

LLN

Sorry I did not see anywhere Buffalo claimed that DD-WRT firmware would offer the same things, in fact they offer it as a PRO option, not as basic consumer grade. If you want the features of  the consumer grade firmware offers than use that firmware its intended for the consumer anyways.

As for your bugs; yes the TX settings do some thing; select a lower TX power and it will out put less power (WOW!)