Author Topic: WHR-G300n problems  (Read 9580 times)

Lyndon

• Calf
WHR-G300n problems
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:23:40 PM »

Alright, my first post, and I'll try to follow the guidelines.

My source would be a Motorola 3347 DSL modem/wi-fi router. I am using Qwest as my dsl IP provider.

I bought the WHR-G300n to be a wireless bridge, or access point? for my HTPC and Netflix streaming dvd player in the living room.

I have tried to configure this to receive the wireless signal all day and have been stumped.  I got on to the Buffalo website, and used the wizard.

I have enabled the Motorola for wifi, and it works just fine with my laptop.

CAN I make this work, or with this model will I have to flash it with DD-WRT firmware to make it work in this capacity?  I called Buffalo tech help, and after 40 minutes got a guy who told me

to go to the download page for this model, and told me to download the DD-WRT firmware.  When I told him there wasn't any DD-WRT for this model, he said it couldn't be done.

But there are some posts on this forum of people who did do it with the stock firmware.

Any ideas on how to get these two units communicating in wireless would be greatly appreciated.

My HTPC is Windows 7 Pro, and I plan on using the Media Center, along with the Netflix dvd player, and WD Live Media Player.

Thanks,

Lyndon

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: WHR-G300n problems
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »

The WHR-G300N can't act as a client and doesn't support WDS (maybe V2 does?).

DD-WRT does work on this router (WHR-G300N V1) but will void warranty by flashing it I think, client mode in DD-WRT might work but I haven't tried it, best to ask on the DD-WRT forum.

Lyndon

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 11:52:51 PM »

That is what I was afraid of.

So acting as a client is the same as a wireless bridge? It should be made more clear to lay people like myself.

I will investigate the DD-WRT option this week.  What a royal pain to get this working.

Thank you for the response.

Lyndon 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:06:35 AM »

whats the firmware version you have installed.

V2 does support WDS.

I wouldnt go down the DD-WRT router, i installed it on my router and its high unstable (and not supported by Buffalo)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Lyndon

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:20:34 AM »

On my Diagnostic chart it says I have this version1 type.

WHR-G300N Ver.1.65 (R1.07/B1.09)

I tried upgrading to the newer v1 version, but it didn't take.  Glad I didn't brick it.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:40:22 AM »

You have WHR-G300N V1 then, same as mine. DD-WRT works on it, just don't know about the client modes since I never tried them.

Lyndon

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »

Aveyer wrote:

You have WHR-G300N V1 then, same as mine. DD-WRT works on it, just don't know about the client modes since I never tried them.

And I have questions about the firmware upgrade with dd-wrt. With the Buffalo, it has to done online, and it seems to cut off my connection

right in the middle, which is not good.  It did it during my firmware flash at Buffalo.

I can't give you the links Aveyer at work.  It blocks DD-WRT.

Lyndon

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »

Just remember before you do it, it voids your warranty.

Go to www.dd-wrt.com and go to the Router Database, enter WHR-G300N and click WHR-G300N (V1),

download the first file (Buffalo WHR-G300N Firmware: TFTP image).

The Wiki says the rest.

Lyndon

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:52:09 AM »

Still stuck.

I have not flashed the DD-WRT.

Quick review.  I bought this to be a wireless access point to stream Netflix and Pandora internet radio to my HTPC in the living room. HTPC is using Win7 Pro with Media Center

My main direct connection is DSL with the Motorola 3347 modem/router wifi

If I run my ethernet cable to the Buffalo, it works fine sitting next to each other.

But I don't want to do that, for what reason?  If I wanted to run a cable all over the house I wouldn't have bought this!

How can I get this to work as an Access Point? Is it false advertising by Buffalo? Do I have to flash to DD-WRT to make this a real access point???

Please help, guys.  I need some suggestions.

Lyndon

Salt Lake City

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:41:52 PM »

It IS an Access Point (and Router if needed) but does NOT support WDS (WHR-G300N V1).

Set the switch on the back to OFF( Bridge Mode), then the default IP is 192.168.11.100.

Lyndon

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »

Not trying to be stubborn.

If you say it does not support WDS, than it won't work as a wireless access point to my Motorola wifi router?

If I do what you say, then it just stops sending the signal through the ethernet cable to the back of the computer.  Just says, "internet connection lost"

and then there is no way to get it to search for the Motorola.

I have it on auto, and it kicks to just passing the signal.

I will try your suggestion, but it will do what I said above.

Lyndon

Just as I said above.

Procedure:

Turned off dsl router/modem

Turned it back on and waited for connection

Now I had the Buffalo on "off" before, and had removed power.

It was attached to my pc with cable going from "white" connection to back of PC.

Powered on Buffalo and waited for diagnostic to go through its series

Turned on PC.  No interenet connection, and no recognition of Buffalo as even being connected.

Tried same procedure wtih main blue jack on back of Buffalo to back of PC.

The same.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »

I don't know your network setup, is the Modem/Router acting as your router and what is it's IP address? Do you need the wireless on the Modem/Router?

Lyndon

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »

Aveyer,

PM sent.

Lyndon

I don't know your network setup, is the Modem/Router acting as your router and what is it's IP address? Do you need the wireless on the Modem/Router?

Sent PM, yes, the Motorola is acting as my router/modem/wifi.  Yes, I need to put the Buffalo on the Motorola as a wifi connected Access Point.

Lyndon

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »

What about this in the manual:  Or does this only work with a Buffalo modem/router?

To add an AirStation without changing your existing LAN configuration, just connect all
the cables and power on the AirStation. With the mode switch set to AUTO, AirStation
can be added to the existing network automatically, without changing any settings in
other parts of the network. You can now be released from complicated LAN settings!
To specify the AirStation’s IP address, proceed instead as follows:
1. Set the AirStation to AP mode by moving the switch from AUTO to OFF.
2. Connect one of the AirStation’s LAN ports to an existing router or switch on your
network.
3. Temporarily change your computer’s IP address to an unused address on the
192.168.11.x subnet, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
4. Type “192.168.11.100” into a browser window to open the AirStation’s Configuration
Tool.
5. In LAN Config, configure the following settings:
IP Address = [192.168.11.137] (Specify an unused network address from the existing
LAN.)
Subnet Mask=[255.255.255.0] (Use the same Subnet Mask as the existing LAN.)
6. Restore your PC’s IP address settings to their original values.
Note: While the mode switch is in the OFF position, the AirStation’s WAN port may also
be used as a fifth LAN port.

Lyndon

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »

You guys are right.  I just got off the phone from Buffalo tech, and this model, unless flashed, will not work as a wireless bridge.

So, there goes my warranty.

Wish me luck.:smileyindifferent: