Author Topic: Latest stock firmware for WZR-HP-300NH  (Read 6582 times)

mookie

• Calf
Latest stock firmware for WZR-HP-300NH
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »

I just received this router from Newegg yesterday and immediately flashed the latest dd-wrt available from Buffalo, mistakenly assuming it would have all the basics - including Samba support.  To my dismay, it did not.

The latest stock firmware has it, right - albeit limited to FAT32 and one other linux format?  My question is:  how stable/usable is the latest stock firmware (1.74) in its basic functions - wireless, storage and hard wired LAN?  I read the posts in this forum and I am getting conflicting information.

FYI - I bought this router based on possibly misleading information in the Newegg reviews on how great this router is working, but when I read the posts here, it may all have been hogwash.

AfterShock

• Calf
Re: Latest stock firmware for WZR-HP-300NH
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 01:12:34 AM »

the latest firmware is for the most part stable, I don't have wireless N so I can't comment on how that worksbut the only 2 gripes I have about 1.74 is the layout appears to have been done by someone who obviously has never seen a linksys or ddwrt setup the other gripe is with port forwarding, its basically nonfunctional and poory written but now that I don't run my own servers or website I have no need for it. I guess if you just want something that you don't have to babysit or reboot every so often 1.74 would be the way to go.

mookie

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:28:20 AM »

So far so good...

Wired, I get 43/31 on a 43Mbps/35Mbps FIOS connection.  Wireless, I am getting on average 35-40Mbps/25-30 Mbps.

All my clients are working well without any drops.  Nice strong signal.  My N clients connect at 216-270 (40 MHz Auto Channel at 11).

At first, my wireless clients would not get to the net, although connected to the router.  A restart of the computers solved this problem.

I have media server running flawlessly, streaming video to PS3.  UpNp enabled. Maybe it's because Buffalo is Japanese - it works flawlessly with PS3 without the  need for a wireless bridge (unlike my previous experiences with Netgear and Linksys).

NAS works well too.

Impressed so far.

It would be nice to have a wireless signal to clients table, as in dd-wrt.

SirDragonx

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »

Does it have OpenVPN Support?

mookie

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:47:40 AM »

It has a VPN server tab.  (I am talking about latest stock firmware 1.74).

You might want to check this:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/VPN-setup-for-WZR-HP-G300NH/m-p/12183

I got this router from Newegg for $69 free shipping (with $20 off promo code) and it sure as heck beats the performance of wrt610nv2 which I paid more than double but can't use to its fulll capabilities because of flaws in Linksys firmware.

SirDragonx

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:03:36 AM »

Yes they all have a VPN tab.  The basic build has PPTP support.  I am looking for OpenVPN support.  If you open the VPN tab you should see a radio button for enabling OpenVPN client.  That is if it is supported.  OpenVPN is faster than PPTP and I have never been able to get PPTP on DD-WRT to route my internet traffic through the VPN once connected despite hours of forum suggestions.  As a matter of fact if you read on the DD-WRT forums there are many people who have issues with PPTP and DD-WRT.  OpenVPN works like a charm.  I had it working on a another companies WNR3500L but switched to Tomato because it is so much more stable than DD-WRT.

My WZR-HP-300GNis a second router and if the Buffalo branded DD-WRT is stable then I may switch it out to be my primary router but it has to have OpenVPN support.

Note to Buffalo:  I had faith in your company when I bought this router and have been patiently awaiting your version of the DD-WRT firmware.  All I have to say is I have since bought a another companies WNR3500L and it works like a charm with DD-WRT and Tomato and I am almost ready to make Buffalo play second fiddle instead of first as I run 2 routers in my house.  I will say that running DD-WRT on other routers and it is just plain buggy and I have heard nothing but bad things about the WZR-HP-300GN running the open source version.  I hope your engineers managed to clean up some of the bugs.  It would be ashamed that you made us wait for a buggy version of DD-WRT.  The hardware on this router has so much potential of making it the best on the market but Buffalo has failed in the software development end to make it the best.  So far my WNR3500L is far better than my Buffalo due to the firmware possibilities.  You even have a buggy stock firmware.  Come on Buffalo, get off you butts and make this the best router like I know you can.  I am a big fan of your products but my loyalty is slowly shifting away.

mookie

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »

I don't see any openVPN setting of any kind under VPN settings.

Having said that, and I'm not sure what your specific application is, but I have just VPNed into work using my company-provided work at home system with no problems whatsoever.

mtp

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »

The VPN support in the stock 1.74 firmware is one of its strengths - I can access internet either at the client or server side depending on how I configure the client.  The only VPN issue that I have (and I am not sure that the problem is with the router) is that sometimes when a client broadcasts to the broadcast address x.x.x.255, sometimes not all of the machines behind the router get the broadcast ...

If I could only get the NAS to work at a reasonable speed .... bittorrent to work reliably..... wireless recieve speed to come up (transmit is good)

SirDragonx wrote:

Yes they all have a VPN tab.  The basic build has PPTP support.  I am looking for OpenVPN support.  If you open the VPN tab you should see a radio button for enabling OpenVPN client.  That is if it is supported.  OpenVPN is faster than PPTP and I have never been able to get PPTP on DD-WRT to route my internet traffic through the VPN once connected despite hours of forum suggestions.  As a matter of fact if you read on the DD-WRT forums there are many people who have issues with PPTP and DD-WRT.  OpenVPN works like a charm.  I had it working on a another companies WNR3500L but switched to Tomato because it is so much more stable than DD-WRT.

My WZR-HP-300GNis a second router and if the Buffalo branded DD-WRT is stable then I may switch it out to be my primary router but it has to have OpenVPN support.

Note to Buffalo:  I had faith in your company when I bought this router and have been patiently awaiting your version of the DD-WRT firmware.  All I have to say is I have since bought a another companies WNR3500L and it works like a charm with DD-WRT and Tomato and I am almost ready to make Buffalo play second fiddle instead of first as I run 2 routers in my house.  I will say that running DD-WRT on other routers and it is just plain buggy and I have heard nothing but bad things about the WZR-HP-300GN running the open source version.  I hope your engineers managed to clean up some of the bugs.  It would be ashamed that you made us wait for a buggy version of DD-WRT.  The hardware on this router has so much potential of making it the best on the market but Buffalo has failed in the software development end to make it the best.  So far my WNR3500L is far better than my Buffalo due to the firmware possibilities.  You even have a buggy stock firmware.  Come on Buffalo, get off you butts and make this the best router like I know you can.  I am a big fan of your products but my loyalty is slowly shifting away.

mookie

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 12:55:54 PM »

I have one question about the DNS setting.  Currently, it is set at default (router setting of 192.168.0.1).  Is this what it should be?

It seems  to work fine, but in the past, my clients used to get this from the ISP setting.

pwilson

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »

False advertizing Buffalo.  Your marketing clearly states: 

Power by DD-WRT
Leading open-source firmware equipped with robust and high-performance features for custom configuration. 
• Intuitive interface allows you to get connected in no time
• Customizable advanced features allow for optimizing wireless performance, security and routing options
Advanced features also include VPN endpoints, hot-spot sign in, VLAN and more

VLAN capability is claimed,  but not delivered.  Support for DD-WRT is to be commended (it is awesome firmware on Broadcom-based routers, unfortunately weak on Alteros based routers like yours);  it is false advertizing to claim Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH supports VLAN (under DD-WRT),  when it clearly does not.  

Please update your marketing located at:  http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-n-nfiniti/wzr-hp-g300nh-airstation-nfiniti-wireless-n-high-power-router/ so that you stop marketing this untruth.   Your product is an awesome WAP (best radio I've ever seen on a Consumer Grade router),  but as Router,  it is useless to me without it's "falsely advertized" and non-existent VLAN capability. 

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 09:03:27 AM »

The stipulation to this is that it does work with 802.1Q VLAN tagging, just doesn't have port based VLANs, which is what most people want and need.

pwilson

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »

My observation while valid,  and frustrating was overly harsh. 

I found myself embarrassed with my employer.  I am already using a Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH as an access point on my personal LAN,  and in this capacity it is a first class unit.  I'm thoroughly satisfied with it.  It performs the job I've tasked it with flawlessly. 

My frustration comes on recommending the product based solely on it's marketing hype,   and effectively recommending it for a job that it is not well suited to.  Hopefully in time DD-WRT will properly support VLANs on Alteros Gigabit based units like this one.  Unfortunately I need the VLAN capability now rather than later,  I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for the hardware that will get the job done. 

This router has excellent stats,  and it's radio is first class.  I hope that the VLAN capability will be addressed in time.  I'll continue to upgrade my personal WZR-HP-300NH as new Buffalo versions of DD-WRT are released.  Hopefully I'll be able to recommend this product again in the future without fear of embarrassment. 

I believe in this product.  I have already sold 14 of them.  I was hoping to sell dozens as our customers start their annual hardware upgrades at this time of year,  unfortunately I will only be able to sell them as AP's,  rather than actual routers until this issue is resolved. This product is excellent,  and it has the potential to become our "recommended" Router of choice for our customers once the VLAN issue is properly addressed.    

Most of my customers get their funding from the Government,  so their fiscal year is in sync with the Government that funds them.  This means they are motivated to buy now rather than later,  I will continue to recommend this product for AP's,  so Buffalo will get plenty of my business.  Hopefully the VLAN issue will be resolved before next years purchasing round starts.   As iPhones and Notebooks start making a large inroads into the Business world I support,  my need to source decent cost-effective routers will continue to grow.

Please don't recommend the Friendly Firmware option,  I've already looked into it,  and while DD-WRT isn't a perfect solution,  it is one I'm already familair with,  and will continue to support.   I watched DD-WRT's Broadcom support grow over past few years,   and I'm sure their Alteros support will catch up over time.  (I am running DD-WRT on all of my Routers,  both personally and professionally.  This is unlikely to change anytime soon). 

Buffalo:  Please keep building quality hardware like the WZR-HP-300NH.  DD-WRT:  Please start properly supporting this product.  This router has so much potential,  and I have faith that DD-WRT will unlock that potential.  A quality router with DD-WRT preinstalled at the factory makes for a powerful combination.   I can market your product for you,  if you can deliver a product that meets or exceeds your marketing hype. 

I apologize for the harshness of my earlier post.  My complaint is valid.  My "tone" was not.  Keep up the good work!

Patrick.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »

Agreed, but as i said, it does support VLAN tagging, which by 802.1 standards are VLANs, it just doesn't support port based group switching VLANs, which by 802.1 is NOT a VLAN standard. So there advertising is not false in that sense, and yes i know, frustrating perhaps as i wanted port based VLANs as well. The sad part is that openwrt DOES support both tagging and port based VLANs, but openwrt is very crude and somewhat harder to configure and also openwrt support for the wzr-hp-g300nh has come to a stand still since about 4 months ago.

Also to verify...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN#Protocols_and_design

802.1Q is tagging and standard. Port based switch grouping, is not standard.

pwilson

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »

You have increased the accuracy of my requirements,  unfortunately,  regardless of the terminolgy used.  I require "port based group switching" VLAN's for my customers.   They unfortunately choose to operate classrooms on the same external IP address as their corporate networks,  so I need to be able to isolate their classrooms from the normal network infastructure.   If it was simply a WiFi guest zone,  it would be easy with just about any hardware,    but my clients need to support both Wired and WiFi connections in their classrooms,  so I need to bridge a wired subnet to a virtual VAP. 

Isolating one of the lan ports to a separate subnet,  and then bridging my classroom VAP to the same segment to put all "student" machines and classroom machines in one segment,  while permiting the administration network to exist in the other 3 lan ports bridged to the main SSID on their own network. 

Puchasing multiple routers and completely isolating everything would be possible,  but then "shared" network resources like Laser printers etc become a challenge.  Most of my clients are accomplishing this setup on DD-WRT on ASUS RT-N16's via VLANS,   which is fairly trivial to do,  but my customers, are quite rightly concerned about the WiFi on the ASUS offering. 

Accomplishing what I want on the Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH is a firmware issue.  (The hardware can handle the task).  The issue attempting this on the ASUS is a hardware issue,  and no firmware is going to fix that.  I will simply try to be patient,  and hope DD-WRT resolves my issues. 

I'll simply apologize to my boss,  for recommending the Buffalo solution prematurely.  I have every confidence than Buffalo will get this right yet.  (This is after all the first official DD-WRT firmware on this product,  so they haven't had a chance to address all the issues yet.  imho Buffalo marketed the DD-WRT prematurely on their released product,  but I commend their choice to abandon their own firmware in favour of the feature rich,  and highly configurable DD-WRT. 

I am still a fan of both Buffalotech and DD-WRT,  so I want to see this partnership work.    

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »

Hmm, interesting task to do here, how many routers are you using to want to do this with?

I ask this because you could somewhat accomplish this task with 2-3 units, if you was to use this, i would do it like this...

Router 1 - Main AP, then create a VAP and create a seperate bridge in the webgui under Setup > Networking

Create a bridge say..  br1 then set a subnet different than the main AP like 192.168.2.1 and under "assign to bridge"

on the drop down tab select br1 - interface wl0.1 apply that, then at the bottom in the Port Setup, enable NAT and disable "multicast forwarding" then in Multiple DHCP section, on the drop down, select br1 and then set however many DHCP address you want and how long you want the leases and then apply.

Then in the webgui, go into Administration > Commands

Enter this in the command box..

iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -o br0 -m state --state NEW -j DROP

Then click "save firewall", that will allow br1 no access to br0 subnet, but still allow access to the internet, and its own subnet.

Link any other routers to either the main AP for that subnet using "client mode" or link to the VAP using client mode for that subnet, create VAPs on those for wireless clients to use. Its probably the only way off top of my head i could think to do it.