Author Topic: Wireless Repeater Two G300N Routers.  (Read 1832 times)

bigee1212

• Calf
Wireless Repeater Two G300N Routers.
« on: March 19, 2011, 01:02:54 AM »

Hey guys, I know this has been answered before here and there around the forums, but  a lot of the posts are much older and I'm having trouble locating exactly what to do...

i have two of the same model G300N routers. One of them is hooked up to my cable modem. I have another one that I want to use as a WDS station or wireless repeater. My first questoin is what is the difference between the two terms? i see them used a lot and it's hard to tell what the difference is. 

How would I go about doing this? I am using WPA2 as security. What i've tried so far is setting up the first router as WDS AP. Then I plugged in the second router into my PC (via LAN), and set up that router as a WDS Station with the same info as the access point. Is this the right thing to do? After resetting the second router, I had an internet connection using the second router to the PC via LAN (nothing hooked up to the WAN) so i know they are communicating. I want to know a way to verify if its working as a wireless extender. maybe a way to ping each individual router? and what is a good way to test if it is actually repeating the wireless signal? I know im asking a lot, but it would really help. Thanks!

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Wireless Repeater Two G300N Routers.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »

You can test it out doing exactly what you did, plugging in with an ethernet cable and seeing if you can get online. You can also try pinging both router's ip addresses and see if it responds. Then you could try unplugging the main router while plugged into the 2nd one and see if your internet goes out. There really is no difference between WDS station and wireless repeater. 

bigee1212

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 02:26:43 PM »

thank you so much for the quick response... the only way i could get it working was if i set the IP address of both routers to the same thing... that seemed weird to me and i couldnt access the 2nd router due to the same IP. not sure if there is some trick to this or w/e. and anyway the connection was buggy. so i realized i didnt have to make it so hard on myself since my house is wired with ethernet cables. i just set the 2nd router up following these instructions exactly http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

this seems to be working! and i dont know why i wanted to do the repeater when i have some hard wires available...

anyway, i just wanted to know do i have to change the settings on the primary router to the same as the secondary router? for example. in the instructions it tells me to do things like 

1. Open the Services -> Services tab
    • (Optional) DNSMasq: Disable
    • (Optional) ttraff Daemon: Disable
    • Save
  2. Open the Security -> Firewall tab
    • Uncheck all boxes except Filter Multicast
    • Save
    • Disable SPI firewall
do i have to do things like this to the primary router? or is it just for each subsequent router i add? thanks jotin .

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:11:12 AM »

The first router does not need any special settings on it. Its just each router you add.