Author Topic: Simultaneous Dual Band and upgrading a home network  (Read 4184 times)

chuck441

• Calf
Simultaneous Dual Band and upgrading a home network
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:58:27 PM »

Hello all,

I am a computer tech, but the vast majority of my networking experience is hard wired networks, and small home or small office networks with no more than one wireless router.  But now I'm trying to resolve a problematic home network situation for a client that involves several access points.  Presently, he has two B****n F5D7231-4 2.4 GHz Wireless G Plus routers, with one of those acting as an access point.  They hook up to each other directly, with no intermediate wireless devices.  The internet source is Satellite.

In researching for a solution, I have started to favor Buffalo, but looking at the products leads me to some questions.  So I am wondering because I notice that the WLAE-AG300N Access Point/Bridge/Converter has dual band support (and is that simultaneous, or not? it doesn't say), and yet none of the Infiniti routers have dual band support listed.  So a few questions come up: First, would dual band support be of any use with a router that only transmits in the 2.4 GHz range? Second, does anyone know if the WLAE-AG300N dual band is simultaneous dual band, or selectable? Third, is Buffalo about to release a simultaneous dual band (SDB) router? To me, that would seem to be the best reason to make a dual band Access Point/Bridge in the first place.

He has the modem and main router in the middle of the back of his house (he can't or won't change where his cable connection comes in), on the upstairs outer wall on the same side of the house that the second router is on.  The second router is also upstairs, in the office above his garage, and that is towards the front of his house, roughly in the middle of that area, and on the wall closest to the main router. He has two PC's there. Downstairs, and behind the garage is his workshop, where he also has three PC's (one's a Mac). The distance separating the main router and the second includes a large kitchen on the back side of the house (directly below the main router), and a living room full of entertainment equipment on the front side of the house.

The problem is that the signal is weak, gets dropped often, and the wireless clients often try to connect to the main router rather than the one functioning as an access point.

I like the Buffalo Nfiniti WZR-HP-G300NH (although I do wish that it also had upgradeable antennas).  I am thinking of using three of these, two as access points, one access point in each of the two areas.  But if Buffalo is planning on a simultaneous dual band (SDB) router soon, then I could use that, either paired with two more of the same, or two of the WLAE-AG300N Access Point/Bridges.

So ... my final questions are: does anyone have any suggestions, am I thinking wrong about anything, do I need more equipment than I'm considering, and does anyone know if there is a Buffalo Nfiniti SDB router in the near future?

Thanks in advance for your help!

chuck441

• Calf
Re: Simultaneous Dual Band and upgrading a home network
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »

In looking over the questions on this board, I notice that certain ones don't seem to get answered, mine included.  I read the guidelines for this forum, and I don't believe I've violated any rules, but maybe I stepped on an unwritten one, or misunderstood one that was written, or maybe I'm just completely outside the bounds of where any forum user or moderator would go.  Would someone please let me know if any of this is the case?  Please feel free to PM me if you don't want your answer to be public.

I really do want to get answers to my questions, and it will also benefit Buffalo in both the long and short run (in immediate sales, in potential future sales, and also helping other forum users).

Thank you, Chuck

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »

chuck - we aren't ignoring you - we're working on this, but don't have the buffalo dual band routers to confirm some of your questions. We have to question Japan engineers on this, and that takes time.

To answer the question of would a dual band client help bandwidth when connecting to a single band router - no, you'd just be communicating on the 802.11N band and wouldn't get any benefit from the extra band.

chuck441

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »

Thank you, drmemory!  I'm new to your forums, so I was uncertain about how long I should wait for an answer.  I am glad to know dual band routers are in the works, and so I'm hoping that they will arrive soon.  I very much appreciate you checking in with the engineers on this, and I will wait patiently!  Thank you again!  :smileyhappy:

chuck441

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 02:50:56 PM »

drmemory, I'm just wondering how long I should wait in expectation of an answer?  I know you said that it "takes time" to get answers out of the techs in Japan, but how much time?  If there won't be an answer for my question for some reason, it would be good to at least know that so I can look elsewhere.  But if Buffalo has a solution, that is my preference ...

Thanks once again, Chuck

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »

The product is dual banded, but does not support simultaneous operation in both bands.

chuck441

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »

Thank you, drmemory!  Simultaneous is better, but I can work with selectable, since the network is in three areas.

Now I do have a few more questions to clear up, but let's just go one at a time.  My first question: if the WLAE-AG300N is set to receive in the 5 GHz band, then can it only re-transmit in the same band?  Or is it possible to receive at 5 GHz while transmitting (re-transmitting) at 2.4 GHz at the same time?

Ok, two questions then:  I see these aren't released yet.  When will they be available?

Thank you!  Chuck

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »

I've forwarded the questions to the engineers.

chuck441

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »

Thank you!  I'll watch for the answers ...

jr_citizen

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 01:37:55 AM »

I have the exact same question. Did an answer ever come through?

sethz

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »

My understanding is that it sends in the same signal it receives. Thus if it's a 5Ghz signal, it will be boosted as a 5Ghz signal. It will not convert between 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz. But it can send and receive both at once.

WLANman

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 08:40:54 PM »

Replying to Chuck441:

Not dissing Buffalo as they make some great products, but based on your situation you may want to take a look at some of the netgear routers, especially the N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER.  Model Number: WNDR3700v2.  It's supposed to be one of the strongest in signal strength.  Read the reviews for more.  If you do go this route make sure you get the Version 2 as it just came out and is replacing the Version 1.  Looks like they might have upgraded some of the hardware like the processor and memory.  Good Luck!