Author Topic: Link Station Live With Bit Torrant LS-CH1.0TL DLNA and Sony KDL-46W4500  (Read 11357 times)

g60jet

• Calf

I guys,  I tought I pass my sorry state of a DLNA home server on.

I have a Laptop with a DNLA server built in (a Sony) and loved the fact that i can serve content to my TV directly from there, but didnt like having the laptop on to do it.   Now wanting to banish the DVD and CD collections to the loft for good I thought a Link Station Live was the way to go.

Imagine my disapointment when the Linkstion wont serve the content correctly.

Playback stops after 62 seconds

Plus Artist information is not diplayed, yet copy the same file back to my laptop and stream from the PC and its fine.

So my conclusion can only be that the DLNA server built in to the linkstation is very poor.

I phoned buffalo tech whom stated they are aware of the problem, yet could not give me a fix date.

I downloaded the lastest firmware that was posted today, in hope that it will fix it, but no

This is my set up

Linkstation Live with Bit torrant FW 1.07

BT Home Hub 

Laptop Vista SP1

Sony KDL-46w4500

Laptop serves media fine all artist info correct, album art etc all fine

Linkstation doesn't, stops playing with the message "playback not available"appearing on the TV not artist info.

I also checked the audio feature on the "slideshow" option on the TV that plays tracks while viewing your photos,  that stops too.

approximate cut off times are Taken from another forum with users getting the same issues.

kbps, playback time, total kb /1024
64 for 124 secs = 7.8
96 for 83 secs = 7.8
112 for 71 secs = 7.8
128 for 62 secs = 7.8
160 for 49 secs = 7.7
192 for 41 secs = 7.7

I now have the world most expensive hard drive that wont stream media.

Please buffalo get a fix sorted soon as I want to buy something to play the movies to the TV via HDMI now,  but the Buffalo DNLA stuff doesnt seem to be up to scratch.

michiganian

• Calf
Re: Link Station Live With Bit Torrant LS-CH1.0TL DLNA and Sony KDL-46W4500
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »
   I experienced same problem as yours. I already filed a bug report to Buffalo. I hope they contact a Sony engineer for this matter.

g60jet

• Calf
Re: Link Station Live With Bit Torrant LS-CH1.0TL DLNA and Sony KDL-46W4500
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »
   Any News please buffalo

turnippi

• Calf

Just to let you know that I have also this same TV. I have fought with DLNA for several months now and I even got help from the Sony's customer services. The fact is that KDL-46W4500 has really crappy DLNA support. The Sony has tested it only with Windows Media Player and they say that with it everything works. Well, personally I do not have Windows machines and so that is not an option for me.

I have tried with Linux Ubuntu Server following media server programmes: Twonkymediaserver and mediatomb. They did work with my Playstation 3 but none of them worked correctly with my TV and the problems were exatly same. Photos it could'nt show at all. Music it played around one minute and some videos were played through and some not at all.

My point is that actually it is not only Buffalo LS-CH1.0TL which is broken but also Sony KDL-46W4500 tv. DLNA seems to be somewhat too loose (or too strict?) standard since many of the promised DLNA compatible devices are actually not able to communicate with each other.

I hope that Buffalo is the better company (over Sony) and makes their product LS-CD1.0TL fully combatible with Sony KDL-46W4500 tv. I think after that it would be a really good idea to send a message to forums that "Hey, our product works with Sony even though Sony makes crappy software" :) There are a lot of peoplehaving problems with their TV which works only with Windows (yack!) Media Player.

Message Edited by turnippi on 03-12-2009 11:56 AM

valley_nomad

• Calf
   This has been a known issue with this TV. Not only doesn't work the Buffalo NAS, but also iOmega HMNHD. But My SONY PS3 works just fine with both of these NAS devices. It looks like a bug in this specific SONY TV set.
Message Edited by valley_nomad on 03-14-2009 12:29 AM

turnippi

• Calf

Yes it seems to be like that. But Sony is not going to do anything about it. I am lucky to have Playstation 3, so I will be able to use Live 2 NAS through it once I purchase it. But, the humble question is that will Buffalo have some time and skills to go around the TVs bugs? Sony says that the TV is fully DLNA compliant, which seems to be not true. However, they said also that the TV works well with Buffalo Link Station NAS HDD (whatever that is). 

It seems that either the TV or DLNA has bugs regarding the amount and size of images in one folder. W4500 is not able to handle too big or too many images in one folder. If that problem is not caused by DLNA, then there isn't much that Buffalo can do about it? I don't know what is wrong with playing MP3, but they also hang after one minute. So, probably Sony W4500 TV has some problems with memory leakages or something. If Sony has some bug repository, we should file a bug for them?

In Finland, if you want to ask for firmware update for Sony W4500, you have to contact the service company Telehuolto Niinimaa, tel.  0207981100. But at the moment there isn't any FW update available which would help on this matter.

Message Edited by turnippi on 03-15-2009 03:18 AM

g60jet

• Calf

The server in the linkstation wont even stream to a vista laptop correctly let along the TV,   it misses artist info etc off the file when streaming from  my link station.  yet if i stream the same file to the sony TV from my vista laptops DLNA server the tv plays EVERYTHING fine.   Even pictures from folders with thosands of pics in.

There is definatly an issue with the LINKSTATION but the compatability between that and the TV may need to be worked on by both manufactures. 

I've spoken to buffalo twice now and they assured me that are working with sony to fix it   but its been two months now.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
We don't work with Sony to fix the issue, however we do attempt to resolve the issues on our end. As far as fixes go I would go into the user interface and click on the button for restarting the media server, then checking over the allowed clients and making sure to refresh your database and make sure the refresh setting is on "refresh". I know you've probably gone over this a few times and if it doesn't work please bear with us a little while longer. We're doing our best to get this problem resolved.

Rengel

• Calf

Hello,

I have the same problem with my KDL 40 W4500!

Are thger any news about this problem?

Thanks, Regards

Rengel

g60jet

• Calf

Its still not working and buffalo UK still dont have any news on the firmware update yet.

im getting really annoyed now as its become a VERY expensive backup drive at best

Rengel

• Calf

Yesterday I talked to Buffalo germany and the result was that this is a known issue and they work on it. But again no expectation when it will be fixed.

You're absolutly right, at the moment the Linkstation Live is nothing more than an expensive Backup Drive.

El_Greco

• Calf

Hi

I have the same problem with my BRAVIA KDL 40V5500 (bought last week) and my BUFFALO Linkstation mini.

Check this:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=9857 

I hope there will be a solution soon.

El_Greco

• Calf

After several postings in other forums and after some e-mail corresponence with the SONY Support they called me back (Respect!) and told me the problem doesn't occur in their test environment.

The only difference is that tehy use the twonky ver 5 instead of my 4.4.8.

The problem is now how to update my linkstation mini from twonky 4.4.8 to twonky 5.

Does anybody have a solution?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Read my response to your similar post

g60jet

• Calf

l've just phoned buffalo again,   i've now asked them to confirm that the next firmware update is actually in development to fix this issues as its been so long since the last firmware update.  

there customer service is polite, but i feel like a mushroom,  kept in the dark and fed rusbbish