Author Topic: Can not browse shares following firmware update (web access is fine)  (Read 2701 times)

elliot_01

• Calf

Hi,

I have an LS-CH500L which I have upgraded the firmware from v1.10 to v1.21 today. I can ping it (on 10.11.22.102), I can access the HTML configuration pages no problem http://10.11.22.102.

But... if I try to browse its shares via Windows (ie: \\10.11.22.102) I receive the following error:

\\10.11.22.102 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resoruce. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.

This happens from any machine I try on this subnet.

I have looked at the two shares I have and they look fine (I have another unit running v1.10 firmware, with identical share configuration which works as expected).

I have rebooted the unit a couple of times, but still no luck.

Can anyone advise on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Elliot

elliot_01

• Calf
Re: Can not browse shares following firmware update (web access is fine)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 06:37:56 AM »

Hello,

I seem to have resolved this by resetting the unit to factory default settings.

I am still interested to learn if this is a common problem, following a firmware update, and whether there was another, easier solution.

Thank you.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:48:42 AM »

No, thats odd, I am assuming that there was some kind of configuration conflict.

elliot_01

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:42:50 AM »

Ok, it gets weirder.

I have re-added my users (which were removed during the factory reset) and configured the services I need (ie: disabled print server, changed hostname etc) and now the shares aren't available to Windows any more. Just can't see why, when my other unit is configured the same and works fine.

Am going to try and work backwards, step by step undoing my config changes. Strange though - hopefully I am just misunderstaning or blatantly overlooking something.

elliot_01

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:04:31 AM »

Ok,

I have deleted any additional users, so now I only have 'admin' and 'guest' and have just one share called 'z', which has no restrictions against it.

Windows machines still are unable to browse to the shared folder at the appropriate IP address.

Hmmz

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »

I would try going to system, then restore/format and then restore the unit to factory defaults. It will NOT delete your data.

elliot_01

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 04:23:36 AM »

Hi Jotin, thanks for the reply.

I have tried restoring to factory defaults twice, but after reconfiguration the issues re-appear.

Another problem I am also getting is that two identically configured (aside from obvious IP address and hostname) units (one with v1.10 and v1.21) react differently to XP, Server 2003, 7 and Vista systems.

The following two LS-CH500L units have a 'managers' group, a 'jbloggs' user within the group and an nsadmin user.

They also have two shares, one called 'z' which is read/write accessible to all (ie: public), and a 'confidential' share which is only read/write accessible to the 'managers' group and the 'nasadmin' user.

v1.10 Unit

The setup works PERFECTLY. Windows XP, Vista Home Premium, 7 and Server 2003 can browse to the share fine and when a user attempts to enter the 'confidential' area it correctly requests the username and password credentials for authentication.

v1.21 Unit

• VISTA:  Doesn't allow access to the shares at all, by attempting to browse to \\10.11.22.102. Error: "The file can not be accessed by the system."
  • VISTA: After using regedit to change 'Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel' from '3' to '1', VISTA connects to the share but requests a username and password before displaying anything (even the public folder 'z'). Once I enter the 'nasadmin' user details it then displays the available folders. I can browse the 'z' folder fine, but it requests another username and password to access 'confidential' if I attempt to access it. Providing the details for 'jbloggs' refuses access, with the following error: "\\10.11.22.102\confidential is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource..."

• WINDOWS 7: Doesn't allow access to the share at all, by attempting to browse to \\10.11.22.102. Error: "The file can not be accessed by the system."

• WINDOWS SERVER 2003: Works perfectly.

So, this begs the question, what in the Hell is wrong with v1.21?! And PLEASE tell me how I can downgrade back to v1.10?

Thanks.

Elliot

P.S. All Operating Systems have encrypted passwords enabled for SMB. 

sherman

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »

I am experiencing the same headaches.... upgraded firmware to 3.10 on my LS-W1 and now can not browse the Linkstation via Windows XP. Funn, can access all other ports (FTP, HTTP, HTTPS) and even from a Mac... but nothing on my PC. What a pain.