Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH + DD-WRT Factory Firmware  (Read 43478 times)

slybunda

• Buffalo
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH + DD-WRT Factory Firmware
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »

i have asked questions, and i can repeat them for for you:

1: Do buffalo consider 13dbm tx power to be classed as "high power"?

2: If buffalo tech support have used dd-wrt with these routers configured as wifi access points, what were the settings used to attain the perfect stability which you claim you have with these routers?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »

I am working on finding the details of best settings for the dbm. I've only gotten up to 21dbm output so far - judging by what the FW says the dbm is.

My "forum rules" statement refers to the many posts that ramble on with soapboxing - you soapboxers know who you are, as do everyone else. Many of your posts are obviously breaking forum rules, not just skirting the rules.

Some soapboxers do supply substance in SOME (meaning, not most) of their posts, but create a lot of filler for people who want details of trials and tests.

For the tests run by the engineers, they're using the default settings - nothing fancy so far to test the outside limits.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »

thanks for the reply, what settings were used to get 21dbm? i used uk regulatory domain, channel 6, default antenna chains and i got 13dbm only. i did try other european regulatory domains and channels but no luck tx power wont go beyond 13dbm. i though this router has a max tx power of 23dbm. im only after 20dbm for my needs.

iv gone back to the 1.74 firmware now since it doesnt lockup on me and i know i can leave it running 24/7 without worry of clients not being able to connect after a while if the router has locked up when running dd-wrt.

one more question, is firmware 1.74 considered to be the final firmware for this router and all future firmware updates will be to dd-wrt only?

thanks

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »

Slybunda

You are welcome - I am one of the people who want info exchanged freely and with detail on these forums. 

I appear to be just an admin (the evil admin), but I quietly facilitate much of the info transfer between BT depts and I feed on good solid information that I can send to the right people. 

I know you have a wealth of information and people look up to you to provide useful information. I am one of them.

Power settings

I have emails sent to gather more info on this, but what I've tried so far:

Adv settings TX Power                Status TX Power

10            (ant 1+3)                           10

20                       "                               19

30                      "                                19

30 (change ant to 1+2+3)              21

30 (ant to 1 only)                             11

30 (ant 1+2)                                      14

As you've been getting 13, could be some other variables or you are set to antenna 1+2 or 1+3.

I'd like to hear more about what others are getting and the details.

Let's see what info I can gather from the emails.

1.74 is just another FW in the progression of the Buffalo FW.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »

i used stock antenna chains when testing, although when i changed the tx chains to 1+2+3 tx power went to 15dbm as shown in the info screen. but iv read on other forums that the atheros wifi chip in the router is not a true 3x3 mimo, but it uses 2tx and 3rx antennas.

also with antenna chain set to 1+3 i get 2.41mb/s sustained data transfer rate when pulling files from my server over the wifi using my laptop intel 2200bg wifi card.

with tx chan set to 1+2 the transfer is erattic and average 1.83mb/s. so i left the antenna chain to default 1+3 for tx and 1+2+3 for RX.

bil1138

• Calf
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 04:30:44 PM »

You might want to make sure you know what that's measuring.

I believe that the WZR-HP-G300NH has a seperate, "dumb" amplifier after the built in radio.  I wouldn't be suprised if the signal strength that the WZR is reporting is output from the radio itself and doesn't include the amp.  (Assuming you're reading the setting from the WZR itself, I didn't see how you determined the strength).

I should add I'm merely speculating here, but I believe that one of the other DD-WRT routers had a similar issue that I had read about months ago.  You could acutally cause problems for youself by boosting the signal to the maximum, which was then further boosted beyond spec by the amplifier that wasn't being measured by DD-WRT.  Again, I don't pretend to know everything about wireless (I was just reading up on things to see what the DD-WRT firmware might bring). 

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

i understand what you mean, that there could be a power offset in play here where e.g setting 6dbm in firmware = 6dbm + amp gain which results in 19 dbm.

but if this was the case then how come when i use my laptop or phone in the garden i cant get wifi access with dd-wrt, on the laptop inssider shows -93dbm as signal strength and connection being highly intermittant. then using firmware 1.74 in the garden inssider shows -53dbm as signal strength and both the phone and the laptop have no issue using internet. thats a massive difference in power output.

drmemory do you happen to know what wifi driver is used in the 1.74 firmware?

also it would be wonderful if the userfriendly firmware had ack timing adjustment and most of all allowed the user to adjust the transmit power. my neighbour says he can see my router and it provides more signal strength that his own router. hence why im trying to get the power down to 20dbm which would be perfect for my needs.

am i correct in assuming that the stock 1.74 firmware runs the wifi power at its max 23dbm all the time?

AfterShock

• Calf
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2010, 01:32:11 AM »

I think 1.74 uses the atheros driver and is able to run at max tx power even in wireless N which is why you can access it from your garden. ddwrt uses the horrible mad wifi drivers which depending on what wireless setting your using won't hit the routers max tx power.

**Admin note: Buffalotech DDWRT currently uses the Atheros Carrier. The mad wifi driver does not work for 802.11n products.**

jonezis

• Calf
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »

mookie

• Calf
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »

Jonezis:

You have a decent link rate and signal - what is your ACK at?  Maybe you should lower it.  WHat is your wireless setting at?

jonezis

• Calf
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »

these are my settings. everytime i try to transfer big files over wifi connection drops. samething if download speed gets too high.

benchmarkman

• Calf
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2010, 06:47:02 AM »

Question about the DD WRT firmware.  Out of the box, does it support all the featuers of the router such as NAS, DNLA server, and Bit Torrent download?  Are there any benefits of moving from 1.74 to ddwrt firmware?

mookie

• Calf
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »

I don't believe dd-wrt has any of those features out of the box.

benchmarkman

• Calf
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2010, 05:50:51 AM »

So what's the point of releaseing a firmware that doesn't support the features of the router and why isn't everyon up in arms about this?

bakanub

• Calf
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2010, 06:34:51 AM »

+ this fw is so unstable. :(