Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH + DD-WRT Factory Firmware  (Read 43491 times)

Me

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH + DD-WRT Factory Firmware
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:41:09 PM »

I just bought a "WZR-HP-G300NH" router in anticipation of the upcoming DD-WRT Factory supported firmware release.

As per the following press release:

BUFFALO AND DD-WRT COLLABORATE TO CREATE THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE CONSUMER AND SMALL BUSINESS WIRELESS OFFERING 

http://www.buffalotech.com/press/releases/buffalo-and-dd-wrt-collaborate-to-create-the-most-comprehensive-consumer-and-small-business-wireless-offering/

Also outlined here:  http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/buffalo-highpower-routers-with-dd-wrt-factory-firmware

When will this updated firmware be released on the Buffalo support site (http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/ - Only shows firmware version 1.72 and 1.74)?

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH + DD-WRT Factory Firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »

There were some unforeseen issues that require debugging, which caused some delay. We apologize for that, but know most people would not like a buggy release, just to get it out earlier.  My best estimate for the release is in Sept.

Me

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.  Great customer service is extremely hard to come by.

I am eagerly looking forward to this upcoming release.  Is there any place I can look/monitor to be notified of this upcoming DD-WRT firmware release?

Will this branded firmware release from Buffalo be self updating to the current DD-WRT releases on http://dd-wrt.com?

Also, will there be a regular scheduled releases for the WZR-HP-G300NH router?  And if there will be scheduled releases, do you know how long such firmware releases will continue for the WZR-HP-G300NH product (end-of-life)?

nchall

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »

so are you saying that the current buffalo dd-wrt release is a buggy release?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »

There is no current or past  Buffalotech DD-WRT release for the WZR-HP-G300NH.

This thread is about the WZR-HP-G300NH and DD-WRT from Buffalo - if you want to start a thread about something else - go ahead. Otherwise, keep on the thread's subject, per the forum posting rules.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »

Me ---when the FW comes out, you'll probably see it on the forums pretty quickly. If I don't post it, someone else will beat me to it. There's a lot of customers waiting for this one.

Me

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24:27 PM »

I must say I think it is brilliant to have such timely and quality responses from a company contact.  Much appreciated.

I will keep a close eye on the forums as you suggested.  Am I to expect that this new DD-WRT firmware will be posted first to the forums then after a week or so posted to the standard support site (http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/)?

In regards to my questions on the product release schedule, are you able to answer them at this time?

-- Excerpt: Questions on Product release schedule  --

Will this branded firmware release from Buffalo be self updating to the current DD-WRT releases on http://dd-wrt.com?

Also, will there be a regular scheduled releases for the WZR-HP-G300NH router?  And if there will be scheduled releases, do you know how long such firmware releases will continue for the WZR-HP-G300NH product (end-of-life)?

-- Excerpt --

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »

thank you

FW is always first posted to the appropriate Buffalotech subsidiary sites around the world.

As I get a notice of each posting, I usually post a note about the ones that I know people want the most.

I don't know if the FWs will be self-updating, like some of the FWs for our media devices in the UK.

There is no set schedule for FW updates of DD-WRT. It depends upon how much info we provide DD-WRT about issues, combined with our requests for features. Generally, when we get an update from DD-WRT, there should be a similiar update on the DD-WRT site.

There is no projected end-of-life for this product at this time. It could be active for a year of more.

Me

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »

Thank you for your responses!

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »

was speaking to a buffalo rep today and was informed that due to the number of issues there are still with the dd-wrt firmware for this router the release will most likely be mid november time. this is understandable since the current builds are highly unstable compared to the stock firmware. i suspect that stability with dd-wrt will not be easily attained with the current madwifi driver, there will need to be updates made to the driver itself to support these new atheros hardware devices.

hopefully buffalo pull through and the wzr-hp-g300nh takes over from the amazing whr-hp-g54

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »

plans are to release in Sept - I haven't told support about this yet.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »

when i rang up the support office i was informed about the delay to november. iv tested the current svn build of dd-wrt from the dd-wrt site and i can confirm that the wireless is highly unstable with this router. id be surprised to see a working stable build of dd-wrt in september. i wont get my hopes up and have more faith in the november release since that time frame also makes more sense going by the current state of dd-wrt stability on the wzr-hp-g300nh.

luciferfidel

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »
Thank you. Looking forward to the new release. I certainly hope that the new firmware will solve the problems that I'm experiencing. When working with the current DD-WRT beta version, it works well but will not hold 300mbps that the stock Buffalo firmware will connect at on my XP workstation. It connects at 130mbps but also will not receive at that speed. With the stock Buffalo firmware 1.74 , I occasionally end up having to reset the router because the wireless won't connect properly after sometime.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »

@slybunda: The release may be slightly delayed for UK users hence their quote differing from ours.

@luciferfidel: We're hoping to clear up some issues with this and I was wondering have you tried adjusting the radio output?

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 07:58:04 PM »

ahh yes i forgot to mention im in the uk and was speaking to uk tech support.

iv tried the dd-wet build on dd-wrt site, main issues are wifi stability and also the inability of adjusting tx power to go above 15dbm regardless of regulatory domain or antenna chains set.

im assuming official buffalo dd-wrt build will address such issues as antenna chains since everyones wzr-hp-g300nh will be using the same antenna chains and buffalo will set correct chains as default.

i really hope buffalo can solve these issues, if the wzr-hp-g300nh ends up being stable and reliable with dd-wrt then it will end up being a better router an even ubiquiti's rocket m2.