Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH doesn't connect  (Read 7234 times)

zzyzx

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH doesn't connect
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »

I've been through cd and manual install about 5 times, power cycled everything about 10 times and it connected only once during that whole time.  I updated firmware to 1.74.  I can login into modem and this is what I get:

WZR-HP-G300NH
    Detecting Internet connection (Resetting)     
    No server was detected
 DHCP Server or PPPoE Server not found.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH doesn't connect
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »

Try moving the switch on the rear of the WZR-HP-G300NH to ON (Router mode), put your modem in bridge mode.

jmichael99

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:36:23 PM »

im having the same problem. 

i tried the steps above and it didnt help..

i had the router working for about 2 hours then it just died

lennyEP

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »

I have the same problem and have tried just about everything to fix this problem. I am going to be calling tech during the work week and attempt to get a logical explanation, if not, I am going to be returning it for another one. I really want this router to be awesome, but this happened within the first 2 weeks.

fromaj

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:36:08 PM »

Same issue... same router.  I just purchased this from Newegg and am a irritated irritated that it does not work.  I did turn the router switch to "On" instead of "Auto" and had the same issue.  If I cannot get this fixed I will have to return it and buy a Linksys.  Looking for any help to fix it.

Alan

NickR

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »

I'm going to assume you are on cable internet. I found the following to work.

Put the router switch to on.

When you open the browser the wizard starts and tries to acquire an IP. IMO the wizard blows. Open a second tab and navigate to the router's gui.

Click on the internet /LAN tab.  " Under Method of acuiring IP address" choose "Acquire an IP address automatically from DHCP server"

Click apply

If that doesn't fix your issue add on the following.

Connect your computer to the modem. Acquire an IP and verify that you have internet.

Now connect your router back to your modem. Connect the computer to the router. Navigate to the routers gui.

Open a command prompt. and type "ipconfig /all" Now press enter.

FInd "Ethernet adaptor local area connection"  Write down the physical address

Go back to the internet /LAN tab. Scroll down to advanced settings.

Under "Internet MAC address" click  "use this address"  and enter your physical address.

Click apply

Hope this helps

Nick

fromaj

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »

Another wrinkle... I have been successful at getting the DHCP server on the cable modem to give the router an address.  I was successful at 11:00 at night.  I got up the next morning it was disconnected and hung.  I had to power cycle the router to get it to come back up and when it did, I was back to not having an IP address on the router.  I called buffalo and was told to return the router.  Verry annoying. 

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »

If it's a bad router, it's a bad router.  There isn't much we can do here on the forums or the phone when it comes to hardware failure.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

phishphreek

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:50 PM »

It seems that ALL WZR-HP-G300NH with firmware 1.74 routers are "bad" if you have comcast. 

I have purchased 4 (two from newegg and two from cdw) of these routers in the last month and I can not get any of them to keep an IP address directly from a cable modem. I set the switch to Router and I set it to obtain automatically. Occasionally it will grab an IP but within hours it releases it and won't get it back without a dozen reboots of the modem and router.

Plugging in another brand router (linksys or netgear) will immediately get an IP from the cable modem and keep it.

I called support and they suspected a bad modem even though it works with other brand routers. Just to be sure, I even went and purchased and activated a new cable modem (different model) and the same thing happens.

The only way I've gotten the WZR-HP-G300NH to keep a WAN IP is to plug it into the linksys or netgear. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of these routers.

I feel horrible that I even recommended this crappy router to friends. I've wasted dozens of hours trying to get them to work and ended up just using a Linksys.

NickR

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 06:04:12 AM »

Did you try cloning the MAC address?

phishphreek

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 12:02:20 PM »
FYI- I was able to get the DD-WRT firmware to work correctly. The WAN gets an IP correctly AND it keeps it. I'm using version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std (SVN revision 14896) The only problem I had was setting up WDS with two of them. WDS doesn't support WPA2 Personal Mixed TKIP-AES. So I just hard wired two of them together. One is the router and another is the bridge which forwards to the router. I'm only using the router for DHCP. Roaming seems to work fine.

slarano

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:15:03 AM »

I have Comcast and this router, and love it. I did experience problems initially, but after peforming the proper steps, was able to get the router working perfectly, put my Macbook Pro on the network seamlessly, and even have a NAS connected through the router. XBox 360 works fine, Windows 7 based PC's work with no problem, and all on the stock 1.74 firmware. So it can be done.

NickR

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 06:32:27 AM »

>Slarano,   I also have comcast, and with a few tweeks I have found this router to be very reliable. I have not been able to get my Windows 7 machine to write to the NAS device. I keep getting the response that I do not have permission to write to the device. I have matching credentials, a homegroup, users with no limits on the router, but still no ability to write to the NAS device. How did you get yours to work?