Author Topic: Active Directory Nightmares! - Why is this so hard? Linkstation 500GL  (Read 2221 times)

dirtmcgirt

• Calf

I've had my Linkstation 500GL for a few years now and had to reconfigure/format it a few times along the way. Every time I have to add it to AD it's a nightmare... never works. I have gotten to work in the past (don't know how).  I've done all the wiki/FAQ stuff and it simply does not authenticate the user/pass section.

I've added the name to my AD Computers, checked trust for delegation, restarted both the linkstation and AD computer, made sure the time is <> 1 minute on the linkstation, made an A Record in DNS, made a seperate log in account for the linkstation (none of my AD logins work BTW), and it simply will not connect.  It's a hair pulling experience every time.  Here's the error:

"Failed to join Active Directory Domain.
Please confirm the Active Directory Domain setting information, Administrator user name and password"

Please help!

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Active Directory Nightmares! - Why is this so hard? Linkstation 500GL
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »

What Firmware version is on the unit?

What OS are you running?

Make sure the LS is within 5 minutes of the Domain Controller, check this in the "Basic" settings. Also remember that Eastern time is -5 (minus 5 hours).

Make sure that the TS is joined to your DC as a "Pre Window 2000 comp".

*This unit does not support special characters when joining AD. If your admin pwd has a special charcter then you will either need to make a new one or change the pwd for that one (in which you can delete or change back after joining).