Author Topic: Wireless USB wli-u2-kg125s - Windows 7  (Read 5052 times)

albino

• Calf
Wireless USB wli-u2-kg125s - Windows 7
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:14:47 AM »

Hi

I'm having trouble getting my USB wireless dongle (buffalo wli-u2-kg125s) working with Windows7 32 bit.  I checked on the Microsoft compatability site which says it should work.

When I plug it in nothing happened, as it would with XP.  I tried running the disk but when it came to the point where it asks to plug in the decive nothing happened.

I've also tried installing it manually through device manager which seemed to work, (i.e. No yellow exclamaion mark) but it still doesn't get anything really working.

Any ideas please?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Wireless USB wli-u2-kg125s - Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:22:33 AM »

This adaptor is not designed for Windows 7. It was designed even before Vista and there is no supported drivers for Windows 7 for it.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

albino

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:30:03 AM »

So is there no way around it?  I noticed on another thread that someone has sorted drivers for Windows7 64bit.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »

Unfortunately not. There is no driver version for 64 bit.

juxu

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »

So...there's no Buffalo driver (why?), however there's another thread about same thing and I did get it working on Win7 x64

You have to understand what you do and be careful. It took me a couple of hours with all instructions, and I know something about these things

I can't post drivers (rules, copyrights etc) but they can be made quite easily

Just remember you do this at your own risk (no warranties)

1) Download file Broadcom_4320_USB_x64_drivers.zip

First link has instructions (same copied here) second has the files

http://dumpytips.blogspot.com/2008/08/buffalo-wireless-adapter-wli-u2-kg125s.html

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=19228

2) Unzip the file, there should be 4 files, one is BCMRNDIS.inf

if you don't see inf file, then change folder settings... show hidden files

3) open BCMRNDIS.inf file in notepad

add line after section [Belkin.NTamd64]

%BCM43GU_DeviceDesc% = RNDIS, USB\VID_0411&PID_00BC

and add  this line on section [strings] at bottom..

BCM43GU_DeviceDesc = "Buffalo High-Speed Wireless G USB Network Adapter WLI-U2-KG125S"

4) save file on SAME directory (replace=yes)

5) insert your Buffalo Wireless-G High Speed USB Adapter

open device manager, it should show there with alert (no drivers..) WLI-U2...

6) Select WLI-U2... and update drivers (you have to confirm install..), select that directory where above drivers are

that's it, you can edit the settings in network card properties etc

"no drivers" should disappear from device manager and alert goes away. Reboot and repair connections might be needed after install...

and after that connect to your network

hopefully this helps

Juha from Finland

albino

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »

Thanks for the post Juha but am I right in thinking that this is only for 64bit?  I'm looking for a solution for 32 bit.

Thanks.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »

Simplest answer would be if they're not made, they're not made for a reason (incompatibility, instability, etc.) and yes it's true you can make your own at which point I congratulate you for being proactive.  If a product development is discontinued to make way and focus on newer devices then there isn't really much to be said.  I also have to remind again this is the US/Canada forum and in this I must also remind that we do not provide drivers for the entire world.  Each branch of Buffalo is limited to their respective region.

JonGmc

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »

Disappointing that once again it is 'end users' who suffer  - effectively the 100% functioning USB adapter I own is now useless because a corporation cannot be bothered to add support by writing a driver - this will have to be shoved into a drawer I guess to gather dust while I shell out for hardware that I actually don't need

I thought we were all expected to be environmentally aware, it would seem this is not the case when there are financial gains to be had