Author Topic: WHR-G54 as wireless router, WHR-G301N as AP or Wireless Bridge  (Read 2565 times)

DeHerrera

• Calf

Situation: Wireless router on 3rd floor gives very low connection to 2nd floor.  Need stronger internet connection on 2nd floor without using any LAN cables.

What I have:

WHR-G54  (3rd Floor: want this to be main wireless router)

WHR-G301N (2nd Floor: want this to be Access Point, Wireless Bridge, or whatever will work without any wires)

Below I will use the AP for internet access, I have no issues with the below and the devices are 10 feet from the WHR-G301N:

Sony Vaio XP-SP2 (wifi): currently using a Buffalo USB antenna, I want to replace the antenna with WHR-G301Nto increase range

PS3 (wifi): currently running a 25 ft CAT5 cable from pc to PS3 to get internet connection... not good

My Trial and Errors:

I tried doing the AOSS, the AOSS light kept flashing even though I hit the AOSS button on both routers... I don't know what I did wrong to not get them to connect.  Note that I tested this out in the same room to avoid any issues with positioning, etc.  Did I miss something?

I also tried to set the WHR-G301N switch to "off" (else is "auto" or "on"), changed the SSIDs on both routers to be the same, and I did not see a difference.  Note that I took the WHR-G301N to the 2nd floor to test it, so there might have been a issue with positioning?.?.

Questions:

1. As the G54 does not have 108n, am I able to make a wireless bridge or access point w/o AOSS?  I would assume that I just would not be able to use the 108n capabilities.

2. Regarding AOSS, would this be recommended over making an access point or wireless bridge?  I don't mind having to research and learn something to implement this, I just want the best way to do it.  By best I mean: stronger connection/ability to use the internet, security is not an issue.

3. Would DD-WRT be of any assistance? It is compatible with both routers, but I don't know if it is worth it.

4.  ANY suggestions will work with me, despite me buying something, connecting the routers with a cable, or massive furniture rearrangement.

I hope I mentioned everything, also hope I didn't say too much...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Fixed the model name for 2nd router

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: WHR-G54 as wireless router, WHR-G301N as AP or Wireless Bridge
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:29:20 AM »

WDS will not work between these two routers.

Your only option would be to install DD-WRT on both of them, this will void your warranty on the 2 devices however.

The DD-WRT FW works fine on the G54 however the G301 is flaky at best.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!