Author Topic: Difficulty with port forwarding on WZR-HP-G300NH  (Read 6615 times)

chuckaknuckle

• Calf
Difficulty with port forwarding on WZR-HP-G300NH
« on: July 30, 2010, 06:06:43 AM »

OK, so I'm having some real problems with getting port forwarding to work. I've had luck with port forwarding on previous routers - on the same internet provider as well, haven't moved. My internet provider uses PPPoE (dsl).

I can't seem to get things working.

WZR-HP-G300NH A0 A3

Firmware 1.74

Here's what I've tried so far.

Manually setting the IP for my MAC address.

Setting up a static IP for my PC, which is connected with a cable.

Turning off the firewall in Windows 7.

Unchecking block ping from internet (I still have block IDENT requests checked).

Setting my PC as the DMZ.

So after all of that, I'll try running the application I want to run (Garry's Mod, listen server), and I'll test the specific port that the game uses, which is 27015, using www.canyouseeme.org. The result? The port is blocked. I know that with port forwarding, the connection has to be initiated from the LAN side, but this is happening even with my PC as the DMZ. I am familiar with setting up the listen server, as I've done it before.

Something bizarre is that another game I play, which is called Killing Floor, asks for specific ports (different ones) to be forwarded for when hosting a game. I have all of those ports set up, and I've had that particular application work just fine - I was playing online with a friend earlier. But when I go to use www.canyouseeme.org to test the ports for Killing Floor, even when I have the server up and running, it still says those ports are blocked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smileysad:

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Difficulty with port forwarding on WZR-HP-G300NH
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »

DMZ to your PC is highly not recommeded. Your basically leaving your PC open on the internet.

post a screen shot of the NAT and post the specific ports/protocols you want to use.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

chuckaknuckle

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »

Right, I'm aware that DMZ isn't recommended. I already turned it off. I was just seeing if I could even get a port to work. :smileywink:

I set the ports up using the port forwarding wizard on the setup tab.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3272/portsw.png - port forwarding

My LAN IP address is manually set under DHCP lease, and everything matches.

TCP

28852, 8075, 27020-27040

UDP

20560, 7707, 7708, 7717, 1200, 27000-27015

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:57:14 AM »

looks ok to me, PM me your WAN IP so i can test at my own end. (only if you want to of course)

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

chuckaknuckle

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:00:19 PM »

Ok, I sent you a PM.

chuckaknuckle

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »

Also, if you've tried in the last couple of hours to ping any of those ports, you might not have had any luck. I've been experimenting, so to speak. I went to the DDWRT firmware for a while, and then came back to the standard Buffalo firmware.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:25 PM »

cant ping the ports you sent me, does you modem have some kind of NAT feature? Maybe your double NATing?

chuckaknuckle

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »

I've got port forwarding working now. The ports are not able to be pinged if I don't have the application running that requests to use the specific port(s).

One thing I think that might have been happening is that the firewall was blocking outgoing traffic as well as incoming. I went back through and carefully reworked all of the port forwarding, and I added an IP filter that allows all traffic outbound from my PC's LAN IP. I had a relative of mine test a port on my end for a running server, and it worked.

I also had a dedicated game server running for an hour or two earlier this afternoon (many people joined).

So here is how my router/computer are set up at this point, for anyone who may need help in the future. Make sure to have your router's switch set to ON.

1. Go to Internet LAN -> DHCP lease and set your PC to manual.

2. Go to Security -> Firewall and deselect "Block Ping from Internet."

3. Add an IP filter (Security -> IP Filter) to allow outbound connections from your PC's IP to any destination (leave destination blank), and allow for all protocols. Make sure the operation is set to Enabled. If you wish, I suppose you could make the allowed protocols and ports more specific, but there's not really any need to.

4. Set up your ports in port forwarding (LAN Config -> Port Forwarding). I would recommend portforward.com for finding ports that you need enabled for a particular application. Use the Buffalo WZR-G300N for the Manufacturer/Model. I do not recommend using the port forwarding wizard on the router's Setup page. If you want TCP and UDP for the same port range, you have to specify it twice.

5. Set UPnP to enabled (LAN Config -> UPnP). That setting was enabled by default on most other routers I've used (other brands), and it's used by a lot of different programs. If you have it disabled, you might run into some problems.

6. Set your computer's IPv4 settings manually. Type cmd into run from the start menu (you have to type run first on Windows 7 if you don't have it added to the start menu), and then from that point, type in ipconfig /all. There you will find the information you need for the IP address (your PC's local address), and the default gateway. The subnet mask is usually the default. Visit the Diagnostic -> System Info page to get the IPs for the primary (preferred) and secondary (alternate) dns servers.

7. Be sure that your OS's firewall and antivirus settings are set so they allow the program(s) to access the internet.

Other notes: Apparently this router does not support NAT loopback, so you'll only be able to see or join your own local server as/from a local address (192.168... for example), while others from outside your local network will be able to see it from your ISP assigned IP address (so long as you have your program set up correctly). You also won't be able to ping a forwarded port unless there is a running application that is currently/actively using that port. I would recommend using canyouseeme.org or yougetsignal.com to test a port to see if it responds (while your application is running, such as a dedicated game server).

Good luck.

benchmarkman

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 06:56:15 AM »

I have a problem with port forwarding too but it is the exact oppsoite.  When ever I set up to forward a port to a specific IP address it actually opens the port to ALL ips attached to the network.  For instance I set port 8853 to be forwarded to ip 192.168.1.5 but when I do a port scan with shield up on pc with ip 192.168.1.2 it shows the port as open.  If I go back in and stop the port forwarding the port now shows as stealthed.  What's going on here?  Anybody else have this problem?  BTW its not only for that port, its all the ports I've tried.

chuckaknuckle

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:24:08 AM »

Do you have your PC set up with a static IP?

benchmarkman

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 05:54:08 AM »

No but I've never been required to have a static IP on any of the other routers I've used port forwarding on.  LIke I say I know the IPs of each PC and actually if I try shields up on them both they both show the port as open when the router is only set to be forwarding to one. 

chuckaknuckle

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »

Well, I'd suggest giving the PC that you want to have ports open on a static IP address. I know it's kind of weird, but it worked for me.

sluk

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »

I am using v1.82 and I found no trouble with port forwarding by using the Setup -> Easy Setup -> Internet Games (Port Forwarding) page, it will automatically convert the target IP to Static IP in which I think is a good move due to security reason -> if this allow a dynamic IP, it is possible port forward to a wrong traget host some times later.

sluk

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »

benchmarkman wrote:

when I do a port scan with shield up on pc with ip 192.168.1.2 it shows the port as open.

You cannot perform port scan within the same LAN to verify the Firewall function, NAT loopback is not support in Buffalo official firmware.

chuckaknuckle

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »

sluk wrote:

benchmarkman wrote:

when I do a port scan with shield up on pc with ip 192.168.1.2 it shows the port as open.

You cannot perform port scan within the same LAN to verify the Firewall function, NAT loopback is not support in Buffalo official firmware.

Use yougetsignal.com to do a port scan.