Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH and dd-wrt  (Read 8376 times)

gwheaton

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH and dd-wrt
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »

Where can I download the offical dd-wrt for WZR-HP-G300NH?

On newegg.com, in the reviews this was posted:

Manufacturer Response:update. new DD-WRT supported firmware is now available for download at buffalotech.com

thanks
Marco
marcor@buffalotech.com

But I don't see it anywhere.

srobison13

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH and dd-wrt
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:45:09 PM »

Just registered to say: bump!

This was one of the biggest selling points for me and I've been waiting patiently on the promise that it would be out this month.  Please get this out ASAP.

Thanks

autocrosser

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »

As far as i know it will be out this next month---I've been waiting from late May for it & decided to install the 14402 firmware from DD-WRT last weekend---makes a world of difference with this unit!!!  Can't wait to try the "stock" open firmware to compare with.....

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:05:08 AM »

when i rang up buffalo i was informed that the wzr-hp-g300nh will see dd-wrt firmware in the first week of september.

going by the amount of issues dd-wrt had on these routers i suspect a september build to also be very unreliable.

pk

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:57:03 AM »

gwheaton,

I'm very upset about this as well.  I'm now out a 15% restocking fee after purchasing this router without second-guessing the official manufacturer response (although I'm not sure that I should have to do that).  Buffalo, you really should remove this official response from this review.  DD-WRT was 99% of the reason I bought this router.  I know I won't be purchasing another Buffalo router after this little debacle.

pk

pk

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »

Update:

I've corresponded with marcor@buffalotech.com and received some answers.  He's a very nice fellow and I sympathize with his plight.  I'll just copy/paste the pertinent parts of his e-mail rather than retyping.

"Philip. You are correct. The WZR-HP-G300NH Does not have the DD-WRT firmware released yet.  This is my fault.  When I posted that response I was informed that the firmware versions were released and available for download.  Unfortunately after I had posted my comments I found out that the DD-WRT versions were only released for WHR-HP-GN and WHR-HP-G300N.  I was informed that the DD-WRT version for the WZR-HP-G300NH won't be released until Aug. I submitted a request to have my comment removed for it's inaccuracy. But it's like getting a act of congress to change it."

pk

ac5kl

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »

It's mid August - where is DD-WRT? for my WZR?

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »

dont you know how to read? it is said to come out in september.

brucehobson

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:52 AM »

Hi,

On the dd-wrt site there are two versions of the dd-wrt firmware:

1. v24 preSP2 {Beta} Build: 14402
  2. v24 preSP2 {Beta} Build: 14896

You can find these in the router DB at:

http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Just use the router name: WZR-HP-G300NH

Of the two files for download use: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: Special File for initial flashing. And the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: Webflash image when upgrading from an older version of the dd-wrt firmware.

Also be aware the dd-wrt firmware requires different USB Hard Driver Formats than the stock Buffalo firmware. And should be formatted else where before trying to mount ... Seethe following:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH for more information on setup...

So, for me at this time... I'm going to use the Buffalo firmware...

Bruce :-)

chuck441

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:21 PM »

I just noticed that DD-WRT is now available (as of 9-1-10) on the download page for the Nfiniti WZR-HP-G300NH (WZR-HP-G300NH Download Page).

It describes the file as follows:  V24-SP2 build 14998, DD-WRT (Professional) firmware for the WZR-HP-G300NH.

I hope everybody's happy now!

gdog05

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »

I will be if it works. Nothing else has up to now. 

llnsj

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 01:52:33 AM »

chuck441 wrote:

I just noticed that DD-WRT is now available (as of 9-1-10) on the download page for the Nfiniti WZR-HP-G300NH (WZR-HP-G300NH Download Page).

It describes the file as follows:  V24-SP2 build 14998, DD-WRT (Professional) firmware for the WZR-HP-G300NH.

I hope everybody's happy now!

Not really yet.  I do have big issue as some other user.

I upgrade the router to

Router Model Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896
However this version 14896 does not allow to upgrade to 14998 (keep saying upgrade failed).  I read on the forum to flash back to the stock fw of 1.74 but I couldn't roll back.  I even tried to use tftp client to upload the firmware and couldn't make it happen either.  When I ssh into the router and see no tftp udp listening on port 69.  At this time I have no clue what to do next and can only wait for the dd-wrt God open up some hints.
In addition, I'm not sure if this new dd-wrt firmware can do anything better than 14896.  Two of the most important features from this router are torrent, and AirShare but the dd-wrt doesn't support it.  The version 14896 may support NAS a bit, but it requires a lot of manual work to make it happens.  At this time it even doesn't support NTFS and can only support FAT32 or ext2.  The problem of FAT32 is the 4GB limitation so it won't ever save any big mkv for hires video file!  The problem on ext2 is no other windows gonna read it!
I am really not sure what Buffalo and dd-wrt are after and planning.  This is much more powerful unit with plenty of RAM and flash but yet failed to deliver or getting the acts together.
LLN

drumgeek

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »

I installed the dd-wrt build for the wzr-hp-g300nh.   There seems to be a lot of bugs:

1. I can't enable SSH via the web interface, although telnet does appear to work.  It says it is enabled, but I can't connect.

2. I can't add port forwarding rules via the web interface.  After I add a port forwarding rule, an additional row shows up with blank form cells.  It won't let me re-add the rule saying it already exists, however it doesn't work.

3. Same thing with static DHCP leases.  

Hopefully a newer build comes out shortly.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »

SSH is working for me, could also disable Telnet without problems.Port forwarding works fine too

As for Static DHCP leases not showing, holding in the reset button for around 17 seconds and setup from scratch again, fixed that for me.

cantuseityet

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 10:46:24 PM »

I bought this router after I had a fully working router because of the additional features laike NAS etc. To this day, nothing has worked with it. Like everyone else, the latest update is failing all the time. Even an apparent reversion to an earlier one does not work with this upgrade. Do we even know what's in it-what it is supposed to fix and allow? I spent so much money and time on this router already. I could have lived with the factory default firmware but now the "supported" dd-wrt firmware has rendered my unit worthless for the most part. Is there a way that is guaranteed to work to perform a solid upgrade? Thanks.