Author Topic: UNACCEPTABLE DOWNLOAD POLICY  (Read 10093 times)

admsupport

• Calf
UNACCEPTABLE DOWNLOAD POLICY
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »

I am an expatriate. I live in Japan. I do not speak/read Japanese.

I am a regular Buffalo product customer.

It was not a problem to download the needed drivers on the Buffalo US website.

There is a MORE THAN UNACCEPTABLE new download policy which requests the serial number of the product.

Download driver is a service and has to be easy, no matter ONE'S LOCATION or LANGUAGE.

In the case of a second hand HD purchase (without the EASY TO REMOVE STICKER) – download is impossible

In the case of an expatriate – download is impossible

Is there any Buffalo Staff on the forum?

Message Edited by admsupport on 02-25-2009 11:44 AM

kevin

• El Toro
Re: UNACCEPTABLE DOWNLOAD POLICY
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »

I am probably not the person your looking to talk to, but....

First, what is the product in which you are referring to?

Second, none of Buffalo products that have HDs in them require any drivers that Buffalo would make. The only ones that do require drivers are USB drives, in which Microsoft makes the drivers (USBSTOR) and you would have to get that from them. 

admsupport

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:45:22 PM »

Hi Kevin,

Product: Drive Station Duo HD-W1.0 TIU2/R1

Utility: Raid Utility for Windows XP (last build)

Utility: Raid Utility for Windows Vista (last build)

(I have them in the original CD, but in Japanese language wich displays as ????????????????? on the GUI, and yes I know how to change the system language but I don't want to have a "¥" sign in the CMD.exe window instead of a "\"; that's how it looks like on the JP windows systems...)

Each buffalo products (Disks, Wireless adaptor, etc.) have utilities/drivers in their native language but the products are the same in the US/JP/EU.

I bought a Wireless Adapter WLI-CB-G54HP in Japan (with japanese installation driver) and I could download the driver in English on the US buffalo page, and install easily. That is how it should be (and the way it was before).

Today if I buy a new adapter, I cannot install it, unless to set my PC to read Japanese (system) and to have a Japanese speaker next to me to translate. Just because of a ridiculous rule. You see the consequences.

Older drivers/utilities are still available on site2.buffalotech.com but not new products anymore (so far this rules apply only to the buffalo US site, but I am afraid it will follow to the other sites EU/Asia). So I am afraid, I cannot use Buffalo product anymore, just because of that new Serial stuff.

US buffalo as the latest drivers/utility, so it was convenient when I had to update.

I really don't understand this rule? Or maybe yes, I do. It is to prevent people traveling in Japan purchasing Buffalo products and using them back home(unless to speak Jap). This way of doing is really stingy for a large company and for a so small loose, since it prevent people living aborad to ue the products in their native language (to use the utilities or install the divers).

Thanks

Message Edited by admsupport on 02-26-2009 11:01 AM

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 03:28:03 AM »
   So you live in Japan, you bought the device in Japan and yet you dont speak Japanese and its Buffalo's policy fault. Sure, i can see your logic!
Message Edited by davo on 02-26-2009 09:30 AM
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Mondongo

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »
   Well, you're not gonna get too much help with that attitude... 

admsupport

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »

@the 2 last posts

I fell sorry for these 2 people.

Drivers/utilities should be easily accessible for download as it was in the past, for the sake of the users, all personal consideration aside.

A protective support policy is not acceptable since is a commercial move against the customers benefit.

If you think I am wrong, just keep away from this thread. Don't leave a comment.

I begun this thread to find a solution to get drivers/utilities on the Buffalo US web site: direct download links/buffalo contact/friendly "open minded" user.

For the record I am an independant contractor, mainly East Asia. I am often on the move. no time to learn a language.

Cheers,

AS

Message Edited by admsupport on 02-28-2009 08:18 AM

Mondongo

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »

Still whining, I see.

Last I heard, this is a free country, and everybody has the right to an opinion, even one as arrogant and pedantic as yours. You need help, ask for it and check the attitude at the door.

Corporations have every right to set policies to protect their online assets and intellectual property. I'm not defending Buffalo nor expressing approval or disapproval, merely stating a reality.

From your very first post, you stood up on the soapbox and started lecturing about what to do and not to do, when in fact it would have been so much simpler (and well-mannered) to say, "hey, i need firmware, can't get it. Can somebody help, please?" It would have been a simple matter to get the files you needed and forward them to you... 

Good luck with that. Oh, and two more things:

1) IT IS RUDE TO POST WITH ALL CAPS. PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE SHOUTING.

2) Get a spell checker. 

admsupport

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:40:32 PM »

Edited on a second thought:

Point half-taken about the advice. Half-taken because this thread is also a rant to express a dissatisfaction, not only a firmware request.

Now, you are way out of your mind in the manner you address people on a board: "Whining - Arrogant - Pedantic - Get a spell checker". U kidding me?

If you were anywhere near, I would enjoy shake hands with you.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »

Everyone, please make sure your posts conform to our User Guidelines:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=BT1000Welcome&thread.id=1

admsupport: We are bound by licensing restrictions for some of the software we provide, thus we must restrict downloads of certain files to users with valid serial number. Sorry for the inconvenience.

admsupport

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »

Hello Colin137

Thanks for the answer. That's what I was expecting to read first hand.

In the case I purchase a Tera Station, is the browser application bi-linguage JP/EN (as I could read in some places on the forum)? It could solve my problem.

Mind if I ask more?

I have an old boardband wireless access point. The setting browser app. is in JP only. Any info if the latest wireless access points' browser setting app. have a language selection in the US?

And to conclude:

Can I open a tread to request a missing utility directly (as suggested by Mondongo) on this board?

Many thanks for the support.

jccbin

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 09:17:35 PM »

I fully agree with the original poster. It is NOT MY problem that Buffalo agreed to onerous terms to license others' software. I say This is a bad bad bad customer service issue and I will never, ever recommend Buffalo products to any of my clients again just because access to self-service software is limited by these dratted incompetent moves on their part.

FIX YOUR STUPID SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS for the benefit of your customers- or die the death of all bad business.

Good **bleep** day! 

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
This will NOT change. Colin was correct, this is a licensing issue. Thus, serial numbers are required. We are not the only company to have this as a stipulation for downloads, there are many others that do this. If you have a second hand purchase, as the original poster mentioned, then you are not entitled to the OEM licensed software that comes along with it, like Memeo software for example.

admsupport

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 07:52:19 PM »

I can't disagree more with this explanation. This thread is about Drivers/Utilities to use Buffalo products it is not about the bundle software.

Buffalo Drivers and Utilities should be available to everyone without restriction, as it is the case everywhere else. All other Buffalo download sites (Japan/East Asia/Europe) are open. I don't know ONE company which request a SERIAL to download their DRIVERS & UTILITIES.

I feel buffalo US made a mistake in the download page and should only ask the serial to download for the bundle software (which come with a license). That would be fair for customers/users of Buffalo products.

Also in many circumstances the serial is not on the box (since it is not hard printed on the box but it is a simple sticker; it goes away with a cleaner). I am thinking about the second hand market or a gift to a relative of friend.

Message Edited by admsupport on 03-02-2009 10:52 AM

admsupport

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »
   Post removed by user: reason out-off topic question.
Message Edited by admsupport on 03-11-2009 10:43 AM

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »

1) Rarely, if ever, is the serial number on the box. We put the SN on each product. That way, as long as you have the actual product, you can download the ISO image, firmware, and bundles.

Some of the ISO images, have the bundles included - these are protected by SN.

Some of the firmwares have bundles integrated into the firmware - these are protected by SN.

We have to pay royalties on each bundled software - therefore we protect certain bundled software from being downloaded by people not having the SN for that product.

2) Some products have different hardware/controller chips in different countries. Downloading and installing the wrong firmware will turn your product into a non-functioning brick. SNs protect against this.

3) Sometimes - we need to update the SN range for the downloads. We appreciate  customers telling us when their product's SN isn't working for their country of download. If this is the case, we'll do our best to resolve the issue.

4) Some of you are really straying from the topics of each post - try to keep on post, or start your own post.

5) Keep some courtesy when replying. Not everyone speaks English as their primary language in this forum.