Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH Wired connections stopped working  (Read 3484 times)

airjrdn

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH Wired connections stopped working
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:33:08 AM »

I got up this morning and none of my wired connections are working.  Wireless seems fine.  I have wired connections both directly to the router, as well as through a switch.  Clients are both Windows & Linux.  I unplugged the router & plugged it back in a couple of times, as well as restarted the cable modem.

Think the internal switch might have gone bad?

Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std

airjrdn

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH Wired connections stopped working
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »

Almost unbelievably, this just happened again, on my replacement router I've had for about two weeks.  Wired connections don't work, wireless connections work fine.

airjrdn

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »

I returned the first router this happened on.  After getting the replacement, I restored the settings I'd backed up from the first one, and it happened on the replacement shortly after putting it to use.

I got ahold of tech support, and they suggested resetting it, and if it worked, not restoring settings, but putting them in manually again.  The reset got the wired connections working again, and I put the settings in manually.  The settings are VERY basic...probably 5 statically assigned IP addresses, 4 or 5 port forwards, a cloned MAC address, and that's it.

That lasted a few weeks or so, but then a couple of days ago, it happened again.  I backed the settings up, reset it, and restored the settings.  It lasted about a day and the wired connections stopped working again.

This is obviously a software problem, but I'm admittedly confused as to why others aren't experiencing it.  Maybe they are and aren't posting it here for whatever reason.  I'll go through the reset and MANUAL application of the settings again, but does anyone have any suggestions on this?  Is there detailed logging that might catch something to pay attention to?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »

Have you tried reflashing the firmware on the unit? 

tmour

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »

hey airjrdn,

I have the same problem as you, The WZR-HP-G300HN is runing 24/7 and when I start up the pc the connection look fine. I also have another desktop using wired to the router, both will get disconnected ~20min or so and how we resolve it, either restart the router and it up again. I thing I notics is doing heavy download will make the disconnection occur faster. Tonight I will try to doing the firmware flasing see if it work, mine is stock firmware.

tmour

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »

Well, patch the firmware to Ver.1.76 (R2.01/B1.06) the problem still occur, but now if I unplug the cable and re-plug in the connection back to normal.... Can anyone help on this issue.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 06:51:29 AM »

Not without more details, how does the wired client machines receieve their IP's? Through DHCP or static set? Because if its through DHCP, you'll need to release/renew the lease on the client side machine so that the switch reconizes it and hands it out an IP. You unpluggin and repluggin is basically doing just that, but you don't have to do it that way. If you are in windows, you can do from a command line..

ipconfig /release [enter]

ipconfig /renew [enter]

exit

And that should renew you.

tmour

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »

Yes my client is using the DHCP to the router, but when I get disconnected I can't even ping 192.168.11.1, and when you try to release or renew it said I'm not connected to the network. There 1 think I did not do is when i patch the firmware, I did not do a hard reset on the router. Yesterday I did that and now the problem seem unlikely to hapen again, But I will still monitor and feedback here.

Thank

king0deu

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »

Hi tmour, so how is your solution working out? Does the problem go away after you try that?

I have this same problem too, and it gets worse. I have updated the firmware like tmour did (but not hard reset yet) and my computer can connect again, but now my connection sometimes downgrades to 100Mbps, can't get it back to 1Gbps. And I'm not sure if it will disconnect again

any help here would be appreciated

PS: and yes, when it stops working, the system informs the "Network cable is unplugged", so I don't think the "ipconfig /renew" command  will work. The problem don't seem to be at the router's DHCP.

king0deu

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:13:55 AM »

anyone?

tmour

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 06:06:07 AM »

Hi King0deu,

Well, the problem of my did not get solve but i just leave with it at the moment before i decide to change the whole router thing, i think that will solve the all the hassle.

The thing is the network seem ok if I have light traffic, if i try to download some stuff ~ 500mb from the net it seem ok for the first 3min then slowly the connect get lower and eventually 0mbps/sec. Just heavy download i got this problem.

And one thing i notice is the 1GB connection thing.. I have Gigabit network and seem like the connect is set at 100mbps? hmm that a bit strange to me.