Author Topic: WHR-G125 as wired access point -- failed  (Read 1581 times)

Mark-NY

• Calf
WHR-G125 as wired access point -- failed
« on: June 21, 2010, 08:44:15 PM »

After many months of proper operation, my WHR-G125 has just stopped working.

I have an Actiontec router connected to a D-Link  DGS-2208 Gigabit switch, which in turn connects to the Buffalo WHR-G125. I use this as a wired access point for my TV and Blu-Ray player. The radio function is turned off, as is the router.

Using the static ip (192.168.1.55)  that was set up when I was given the Buffalo, I am unable to talk to it. I tried using the default 192.168.11.100 with no luck. (I note that when the ethernet cable is plugged in, the LED on that port does not light up.) I ran a test connecting the Buffalo directly to the Actiontec router, and that works just fine...(LED and all) but I still cannot talk to it with my computer. The obvious conclusion was that the ethernet port I was connecting to must be bad, so I checked it by plugging the laptop in. That worked fine, too. So the Buffalo works, and the ethernet port works.

How come they won't work together as they did for many months?

sethz

• El Toro
Re: WHR-G125 as wired access point -- failed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »

The next step would be to try the connection steps again. You may need to reset both units and start from scratch.

The most common instance for devices failing to talk to each other is some sort of power surge or anomaly causing soome sort of confusions betweent he devices.

Mark-NY

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 11:41:15 AM »

I found the problem after some more detective work. There was a miniscule cut in the white-orange wire in the ethernet connector that I had installed a year ago. I think it may have resulted from damaging the wire when I stripped the outer jacket off the cable. It was fine until I wrestled another cable into the same wall box, and I think when I jammed all the extra cable in  there the stress opened up the cut a few microns. The truly weird thing was when I plugged my laptop in, it worked fine. But when I plugged the Buffalo in, it was more finicky and refused to work.

But now the issue is, how can I communicate with this device? It does not respond to any of the IP addresses I have gleaned from the manual (192.168.11.100 or 192.168.11.137).

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:43:15 AM »

Is the WHR-G125 set in Bridge mode?

There is a small switch on the bottom of the router, next to the reset button labled "Router ON OFF."

When it is on, the router functions are enabled, when off, the router functions are disabled and the unit will function as an access point.