Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH dropping wireless connections  (Read 5637 times)

jgillam

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH dropping wireless connections
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:34 AM »

I can't remember what configuration I had when I was originally having issues but I don't have them anymore.

I'm now using the latest Buffalo DD-WRT firmware and have wireless security set up as follows:

Mode: WPA2 Personal Mixed

WPA Algorithms: TKIP + AES

It may have been specific to the old firmware or that I used to need multiple configs to support all my devices but everything I have now works with the above configuration without issues.  Either way, as far as I can tell the problem was with either the firmware or configuration, not with the router or any of the client devices.  This is an awesome device (especially with DD-WRT firmware).  My only complaint right now is that I wish the device had just a bit more internal memory to add DD-WRT plugins.

docsmooth

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »
The people having the problems: are you sure it's wireless dropping (can't talk to other devices in your house?), or is it possibly the WAN port dropping (can talk to other devices in the house, but not outside)?

I'm having an issue that's WAN related, in another thread, on AT&T UVerse, only with dd-wrt firmware.

borischan

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »

Mine was dropping all ways, sometimes couldn't access internet, and recently streaming video from my NAS was impossible.

I'm not sure if the problem got progressively worse after updating to the latest stock firmware....

To update: my WHR-G54S is now set up again, this one uses dd-wrt, working perfectly. I can live with 54Mbps until I find a solution.

Is dd-wrt for the WZR ready yet? Would it make any difference?

jgillam

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »

Yes DD-WRT has been ready for quite some time.  Check the downloads page.

I can't say for certain if it will fix the issue.  I just know that I was not using DD-WRT when I experienced the disconnects and I have not experienced that problem since I switched to DD-WRT... so the problem either got fixed through the DD-WRT firmware or possibly through configuration changes that were done at the same time.  This was quite some time ago, so sorry for the vagueness.  In hindsite I wish I had kept better track of what I changed.

borischan

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 06:39:03 PM »

@jgillam

What version of dd-wrt is it? 14998?

I downloaded one from Buffalo, couldn't install it. My original understanding of this router was that switching from stock firmware to dd-wrt and back would be a simple task.....

borischan

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »

Well I finally bit the bullet, installed dd-wrt 16783 a couple of days ago. For some reason 14998 wouldn't install.

Just finished resetting my network, AGAIN, I'll monitor this for a while and report back.

jgillam

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »

Sorry for not replying sooner.  Yes, I had (and still have) 14998.  I still have not experienced any major issues, though I have had to bounce the router about once every other month to keep it running smooth.

borischan

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »

Whoa, dd-wrt has been running a few hours:smileyhappy:

However, I only get 54mbps, any advice on setting to get higher speed?

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/Taffy99/router.png?

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 02:54:48 PM »

For wireless security, use WPA2 Personal with AES only. Also in Status > Wireless, do a site survey and make sure you are using good channel IE. a channel that isn't close to one that someone else is using.

borischan

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:14 AM »

Minor update, 6 days with dd-wrt 16783 and no wireless drops. May seem trivial but the last firmware struggled after 6 hours....

Watch this space..