Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH slow NAS Performances  (Read 2777 times)

KingOmri

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH slow NAS Performances
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:41:43 PM »

I have a 750GB Segate free agent external USB hard drive formatted in XFS connected to the router (firmware 1.74).

When I am trying to copy to the NAS drive data from a computer local drive Via Rj45 and a 1GB NIC card, I am getting an unstable data rate.

Data rate can move from 8MBs to ~350KBs.

I haven’t tested the wireless transfer rate to the NAS drive but I know that transfer rate from my computer to this drive when connected directly are above 40MBs.

What data rate should I expect from the NAS feature?.

Thanks

Samuel

ZeroGravity

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH slow NAS Performances
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:06:02 PM »

8 is what I get and not always stable.... it goes down to 6 sometimes that using v1.74 and W7.

KingOmri

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 12:23:41 AM »
Thanks for previous answer. Trying to copy a big folder with a large amount of files I also noticed that the NAS hard drive will go offline every ~15Min and then get back after a Min. The mapped network drive is set to "connect to drive automatically". I am using Vista with SP3, Any idea what can cause this. Thanks Shmulik

AfterShock

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »

I have no idea what we're suppose to call acceptable for NAS transfer speeds, I just hooked up a 300gig 7200rpm westerndigital drive to test out the media server funtion but transfering a blueray rip only goes between 9-10megs/second, doing the same thing over wireless gives me an avg of 1.70megs/second. If I map a network drive to another pc and transfer a 10 gig file it will stay right around 37megs/second and anywhere from 5 to 15 over wirless. From past experience with a crappy walmart netgear router these speeds are a joke especially considering that the netgear router only had 100meg ethernet ports but this router and all my pcs are connected at 1 gigabyte.

REX

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »

This is really strange, I have the sam problem, files with 5gb,6, 7...11gb.. same thing.

When it starts it gives me 11mb/s and immediatly goes to 3 - 5 mb/s.

This happens when i transfer data from a WD USB 1TB HD to my windows 7 64 bits with a Cat6 patch cable linked to the router.

When is this fixed Buffalo????

AfterShock

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 02:01:31 AM »

I think its just a junk usb controller on the router, I tried 1.74, ddwrt and openwrt with both ftp and samba sharing and the read/write speeds are about the same on 3 different firmwares, 5meg avg write 13meg avg read for a 4 gig file but if I transfer my mp3 folder its about half the speed each way using both ext3 and xfs filesystems. It has to be a controller limitation because all of the firmwares use completely different drivers but the end is the same. I guess as long is it works I won't fuss with it too much like trying a different external drive or a flash drive. If I'm not the only one with these slow speeds then I can probably rule out something being wrong with the controller on my ext drive.

REX

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 08:08:31 AM »

What I do now when I want to copy a large file to my computer, I download it by buffalonas.com (192.168.11.1:9000) and I can get speeds around 11 to 13mb/s, it is more quicker.

Hope it helps you!

sparks

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »

well after my old buffalo with tomato finally quit I decided to give this one a try. Hey I always wanted a network share.

Forget this cake

WZR-HP-G300NH has a NAS function but it doesn't seem to work correctly

I decided to try out the NAS in this router. I dont' know what is going on.
I have it set as a share on the workgroup.
I mapped to it with no problem after format.

I switched to full Giga network NOT wireless to make sure I am posting numbers that are crazy and don't make a bit of since.

I used a   new samsung F4 2TB drive   in an external usb enclosure.
SO I get it done and I had some movies I wanted to play so I copied them from my internal drive to this. I tried 1 -- 25GB file --- 4.3HOURS to copy
Yes I seperated the numbers to make it understandable with no doubt of error.
1 25GB took over 4 hours to copy to this nas.

how nice

so to make sure it wasn't the HD or the enclosure I connected it to the computer and formatted it and copied the file again...13 minutes.
nothing compared to the 4 hours of this so called nas.

any free tools to see the actual thru to this unit...maybe 1kb a minute LOL
that would give me the speeds between the computer and this device. Yes I can monitor the entire network but want to isolate this only.

is it something I have set wrong or could it just be that this thing is a pos when to comes to this?
this was going to be my question but after reading everyone elses post I realize this unit is just junk.
Even some type of share on this unit without all the overhead would be better than the pathetic speeds of this so called NAS.