Author Topic: Linkstation navigation installation error  (Read 7812 times)

Cyrille_V

• Calf
Linkstation navigation installation error
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »

Hello,

I'm trying to install my new Linkstation Live HS-DH500GL but I get an installation error at the end of the navigator setup. The setting confirmation message says: "Failed mapping network drives. Confirm existing shared folder in Linkstation."

The HS-DHGLDC9 setup results.txt content is as follow:

Host:HS-DHGLDC9
Workgroup:WORKGROUP
IP Address:192.168. 0. 6
Subnet Mask:255.255.255. 0
Others:Using assigned IP address from DHCP server

I can access to the drive management screen in my browser, but I can't find a shortcut to the shared folder.

I tried reinstalling after unplugging my memory card reader, but no change.

What can I do?

Cyrille

Cyrille_V

• Calf
Re: Linkstation navigation installation error
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »

It must be a problem on my desktop PC, I installed the drive on my laptop connected to he network, and it worked perfectly. Strange...

How can I force the drive mapping on my desktop? I'm using XP pro.

Thanks,

Cyrille

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:16:41 AM »

Since the software itself is just a locator tool, it is not required that you install it on your desktop.

If you run the utility on your laptop, you can find the IP address of the LinkStation there.  Write down that IP address and head on over to your desktop.

On your Desktop, go to My Computer.  In My Computer, click on "Tools" in the menu bar, then "Map Network Drive."  On the Map Network Drive screen, choose an available drive letter from the drop-down list, and in the "folder" line, type in a double backslash, the IP address of the LinkStation, another backslash, and the name of the share you wish to map to. 

For example, to map to the folder "share" on a Linkstation at IP address 192.168.11.150, you would type in \\192.168.11.150\share

Cyrille_V

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »

I tried to map the drive using the address I can see on my laptop: \\192.168.0.6\share but I get an error message:

"The mapped network drive could not be created beacause the following error has occured: The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows help. "

Also, when I type \\192.168.0.6 in the run command, all I get another error message: "The network location cannot be reached..."

Strangely, when I type 192.168.0.6 in the browser bar, I can access the Linkstation web utility menu without any problem.

Thank you for your help.

PS: antivirus and firewall are off...

Message Edited by Cyrille_V on 10-13-2008 04:30 PM

Cyrille_V

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 08:16:35 AM »

Any chance of getting any help? I think I'll have to bring the Linkstation back and get a refund. :-(

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33:45 AM »

I would try to map it in safe mode with networking, if other computers can see it and map to it, chances are you have another 3rd party software running on that PC.  I know you posted that anti virus and firewall software is off, however this is the main symptom of third party software.  Also disable windows firewall by going to start/run/ and type firewall.cpl

Cyrille_V

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 03:52:12 AM »

No luck! Even in safe mode with networking, I can't see nor mount the share folder...

I don't know what to do.

rbirrell

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:13:14 AM »

Have you had any luck. I have a similar problem with a newly UK purchased HS-DH500GL attached via a Netgear DG834G router. Slightly different ... when I install the NAS Navigator I see the message "Cancelled or an error occurred" however the application has been installed. It seems that configuration of the shares may have failed for some reason.

I'm running Windows XP Pro. Firmware V2.1. The NAS Navigator appears to be able to see the drive but not the shares and so the shortcut runs but then doesn't open up any folders. The web util works fine and I have successfully changed the device name and admin passwords from the defaults. I can see a single shared folder called "share" but no "info" as the documentation suggests. It seems to get allocated the IP address 192.168.0.5. When I enter \\192.168.0.5\share or \\192.168.0.5 at Start->Run I get the message "A device attached to the system is not functioning".

I wonder if the problem might be security related. I have disable windows firewall but to no avail. Incidentally the File Security Tool fails to install as it says that it is "not compatible with exist..." (Operating System I guess).

I've also tried installing the device hardwired to ethernet connection on my laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate. This time the File Security Tool does install but otherwise all symptoms are the same.

Cyrille_V

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 06:46:01 AM »

I'm also in the UK, myHS-DH500GL is also new and also linked to a Netgear DG834G, and I'm also running XP Pro. It seems like a bad combination! ;-)

My symptoms are exactly like yours. Except that everything works fine on my other computer, a laptop linked wirelessly to the router.

I'm running out of ideas...

rbirrell

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 08:27:53 AM »
   I've had some progress. Finally got onto UK support. The number they give on the back of the Quick Setup guide is always engaged. I looked on the website and there's an 0845 number that I got through to pretty quickly.

Tried quite a few things with a guy called Christian on the other end of the phone. Eventually it seems to come down to my security sofwtare. I thought I had it all disabled. I have used Bitdefender Insternet Security Suite, however I wasn't using the firewall component of this, rather just using Windows Firewall. Again I had disable this. Anyway, I did uninstall Bitdefender and lo and behold Linkstation Live seemed to start working and the Shares magically became visible. I still need to do a bit more investigation ... maybe try and reinstall Bitdefender and create an exception for the IP address of the Linkstation.

Hope that helps. I'll let you know if I make any further discoveries.

Cyrille_V

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 10:23:45 AM »

Thank you for your support rbirrel. I'm glad you got it working.

I uninstalled my antivirus, and it still doesn't work.

What's really worrying is that I can't launch the Windows firewall anymore. When I type firewall.cpl in the command prompt, I get a message telling me "Windows cannot start the Firewall/Internet connection sharing service" !

steffannz

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 04:32:46 AM »
   I had the same problem, i.e. could connect to the server through web but could not map network drive. Solved by adding the linkstation to the trusted zone in zonealarm.

jjhauss

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »

You can also try:

Go tostart->run->services.msc. Scroll down the list and checkWorkstation, Server, and TCP/IP NetBIOS helper. All need to be started, and automatic.