Author Topic: Where are the routers with DD WRT?  (Read 18080 times)

slybunda

• Buffalo
Re: Where are the routers with DD WRT?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »

i doubt official buffalo dd-wrt will be any better than the regular dd-wrt so i for one will be sticking to the stock firmware which is currently far more stable than any variant of dd-wrt.

only option thats worth considering is using openwrt since it uses the ath9k driver and not the crappy madwifi driver.

mutat

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »

Ok, I see I started a thread which ended up going in a slightly different direction.  That was not my intention, but now that we are in a different direction, I have a new question(s).  I see that there is a lot of dis-satisfaction with the WRT firmware, although it is not the official Buffalo/WRT version.  I would like to get the opinion of people with knowledge of the buffalo routers.

My current router is a linksys 54 something (can't remember the exact model).  I have heard in general good things about the buffalo routers and have made up my mind to give them a try.  Should I go with the non-gig version (G300N) with the Buffalo/WRT firmware which should be available any day now or should I go with the gig version (G300NH) with the stock buffalo firmware.  I actually wouldn't be looking for a new router, if it wern't for the fact that my existing one seems to be the culprit with dropped  connection to a wireless laptop running Vista on the b band.

I don't have any special needs for the router, just that it work with Windows7, WinXP, Vista, ReadyNAS NV and Squeezbox.  The Gig ports would be nice, but not a must have since I have a gig switch already connecting all my inside wired network equipment.  If the recommendation is for the Buffalo firmware, then I would get the Gig version cause it is only 20 bucks more.  The most complicated software setup I have on my current router is a couple of port forwards for remote desktop.

I did read a bunch of older threads that said the stock verion of firmware was really buggy, has that been fixed?

Thanks,

DK

anewkirk

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »

The current stock firmware from Buffalo works fine. Unfortunately it doesn't have a few things I need (such as logging websites visited, restrict access to certain sites, block by keyword) or I would be happy to use the stock firmware. Stock firmware is MUCH more stable than the dd-wrt offering.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »

On the stock firmware you can block websites, but by IP instead of keyword.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 10:54:17 AM »

Hello Mutat

Yes, there are several hijackers in this thread. However - the thread is still about "where are the routers with DD-WRT", not about DD-WRT itself.

Memnochxx

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 03:03:41 AM »

It's now June and I have seen no word about these routers since the initial press release. Where is the dd-wrt? Will the dd-wrt be shipping with a new hardware version or will I be able to update to the (stock) dd-wrt firmware if I buy a router right now and it doesn't come with it?

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »

press release did say it was gonna be in late july.

Memnochxx

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

No, it said two would be released in May and one in July.

audiophile8706

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »

From the press release...

"WHR-HP-G300N and WHR-HP-GN will be available in May 2010 while WZR-HP-G300NH will be available in July. All three units are backed by a limited two-year warranty that includes toll-free, US based 24/7 technical support."

I purchased a WHR-HP-G300N with high hopes... It is now June... I'm slightly pissed.

I understand development and all that jazz... but how about setting the bar low and surprising everyone with an early release as opposed to setting the bar high and disappointing everyone?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 03:30:27 AM »

I understand development and all that jazz... but how about setting the bar low and surprising everyone with an early release as opposed to setting the bar high and disappointing everyone?

And then what to do when this early release is full of bugs?! Some surprise that would be!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

audiophile8706

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 11:07:09 AM »

davo wrote:

And then what to do when this early release is full of bugs?! Some surprise that would be!

Well.. that's what I mean by setting the bar low. Just say September for both versions of the firmware while continuing to work your ass off. Then, when it gets done, release it. As opposed to being like "May 2010!.. probably... maybe... ok.. our fingers are crossed... yeah, you're going to be disappointed"

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »

seeing as how this buffalo dd-wrt firmware will be still using the madwifi driver i suggest you guys not to get your hopes up since current results of the madwifi driver show that there is huge instability on atheros based devices.

Memnochxx

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 03:23:53 AM »

Shreez wrote:

Hi.  Look at this

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72611

and this

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F05-25-10-r14573%2Fbuffalo_whr_g300nv2/

I believe we're all interested in the official firmware from buffalo, and if we were interested in flashing ourselves would do so.

audiophile8706

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »

slybunda wrote:

seeing as how this buffalo dd-wrt firmware will be still using the madwifi driver i suggest you guys not to get your hopes up since current results of the madwifi driver show that there is huge instability on atheros based devices.

So in your opinion buffalo wouldn't have taken on that issue themselves and specifically added the ath9k driver?

I mean... if they're wanting to provide a stable release that would be the logical step right? Guess I'm just hoping the developers that took on working with dd-wrt decided to use logic and add that support specifically for these models...