Author Topic: Where are the routers with DD WRT?  (Read 18075 times)

mutat

• Calf
Where are the routers with DD WRT?
« on: May 09, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »

Please don't refer me to the DD WRT forums.  I am talking about the official Buffalo routers with the pre-installed slightly modified DD WRT firmware.  The press release said the non-gig version of the 300 would be shipping in May.  I have not seen or heard anything past that announcement.  My linkysys is barely hanging on and I need to upgrade and have been waiting to buy until I can get the DD WRT version.

Thanks

DK

bbmak

• Calf
Re: Where are the routers with DD WRT?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »

I also want to know. I want to get a N router, but I only want the ones that support DDWRT. I am waiting eagerly for Buffalo N router. 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:34:40 AM »

Thats all of the information that has been released at this moment.  Please check our website (and these forums) for further updates.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:02:30 AM »

dates were given and they are saying sometime in july.

mutat

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »

The website/press release stated that the non-gig version of the 300 would be in May, the gig version would be later.  I will settle for the non-gig version.

Also, to the moderator that said to check the website and forums - That is what I am doing, but seeing zero information is why I posted the question.  I would bet I am not the only one who would like to know.  I was hoping that someone from Buffalo would give a answer with a date or at least a timeline.

Thanks,

DK

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »

Look just past mid-May.

mutat

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:08:51 AM »

Awesome, thanks

Slax

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:09:07 AM »

So will this customized version be posted on the site for early wzr adopters?

Slax

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »

Just a heads up to dd-wrt testers at Buffalo, there is a bug in dd-wrt which drops the 300Mbps to 130Mbps after a few minutes. This bug has been there since the very first build of dd-wrt for wzr. This happens  in a croweded environment. The current stock doesn't suffer from this issue. Check this thread for more info.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72227

This needs to be resolved.

anewkirk

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:00:25 PM »

That is only 1 of the wireless issues for those who install DD-WRT onto their wzr-hp-g300nh routers.

The biggest issue seems to be the frequent disconnects caused by the "stuck beacon" error. The reason for this is the use of the old buggy MadWiFi driver along with a closed source Atheros HAL in DD-WRT instead of the correct ath9k driver. The DD-WRT folks have stated that there will be no ath9k support , so expect poor wireless performance across the board when you install their firmware on the wzr-hp-g300nh.

There are other wireless bugs in the DD-WRT implementation for these routers...such as frequent disconnects while doing large file transfers.

I can't believe that Buffalo is allowing this to happen.

Do youself a favor and use the current factory firmware or install OpenWRT (which does use the most current ath9k driver) on these routers.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

I bet the stock firmware is looking good and stable to everyone now? :smileywink:

Buffalo said the WZR-HP-G300NH with DD-WRT will be out in July, obviously there not going to release it with bugs like this.

2 months to go.

anewkirk

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 11:43:58 PM »

2 months don't matter much when dd-wrt dev's have already announced that they will not be implementing the proper driver for WZR-HP-G300NH wireless. That driver, and the closed source hardware abstract layer that it requires, are both bugged to death. Buffalo will have to step up in order to avoid allowing a huge mistake. The question is....will they?

It's not too late for Buffalo to partner with a true open source firmware that actually works :P

Or continue developing their current stock firmware, which works fine for most users anyway and is very stable.

It's time to face the fact that dd-wrt is no longer what it once was.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »

Can you give me a link to where the dd-wrt devs said that? would like to see it.

Slax

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »

Here's the response from Sash regarding ath9k

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72204

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 04:17:33 AM »

"Just a heads up to dd-wrt testers at Buffalo, there is a bug in  dd-wrt which drops the 300Mbps to 130Mbps after a few minutes. This bug  has been there since the very first build of dd-wrt for wzr. This  happens  in a croweded environment. The current stock doesn't suffer  from this issue. Check this thread for more info.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72227

This  needs to be resolved."

Not yet, not by us at least, we still do not support flashing DDWRT yourself.