Author Topic: WZR-G300NH and comcast  (Read 4557 times)

Rob_B

• Calf
WZR-G300NH and comcast
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:40:38 PM »

Ok folks,

This afternoon was not a fun experience for me.  After four hours of attempting to configure my new WZR-G300NH Nfiniti Wireless-N High Power Router and Access Point the only thing I could come up with is the High should be followed by the word "frustration."

ISP: Comcast (Cable)

Used the CD to install the program as directed by the installation instructions.

Router did not detect my cable connection and continued to prompt for PPOE information (user/pass combination)

The only way I was able to get the router to connect to the Internet was to shut the router feature off, enter the default DNS servers for east and west coast, and enter my user/pass combination for Comcast account access.

When the router was turned off (access port to off) I was able to get a WIFI network connection via my IPhone, however it would default to my 3G service when accessing pages.  I attempted to use the access port to connect my PS3 (not knowing enough yet that it wasn't functional).  It would detect the network but wouldn't connect.  The access point option would cycle through but never connect.  I attempted connecting the PS3 to the network manually by entering the network ID and password that I had set; no dice.

I backed up through the process and contacted a friend who's a systems admin for Pursuit here in Florida.  Nothing he had could help.  Another friend returned a call, a network tech for another local company and he walked me through the firmware update, tried tweaking settings via browser-based admin, and nothing.  We finally came to the realization (well he did quickly) that it shouldn't be looking for PPOE information.

So the firmware has been updated to the most recent version here on the Buffalo site, but we still haven't been able to figure out the connection issue and why the router will not connect to the net with the access port in the "on" or "auto" position.  Internet access is only available when it's in the "off" position.  No wireless signal or connectivity.

Is there any documentation or tips that assist in installation with Comcast cable?  I'd like to think that the $100 i just dropped on a new wireless router isn't wasted.  Four lost hours in installation with no assistance from the included documentation, site-based documentation, and an installation program that keeps looking for a PPOE connection when it's unable to detect the cable connection is a bit ridiculous.

If anyone has tips please feel free to let me know. If there's a Buffalo support technician here that can provide me with needed information that would be great; as I am sure I am not the only person who has bought a Buffalo router and is a Comcast subscriber and can't complete the installation cycle.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-G300NH and comcast
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:46:53 AM »

Make sure that the switch on the unit is set to router (or on) and then power cycle the router.  When it boots back up log into the web interface (192.168.11.1) and click on internet/LAN.  For "method of aquiring an IP address" select "aquire an IP address automatically from a DHCP server" and then click apply.  When the page refreshes click on diagnostic and tell me what it says in the "internet" row for "connection status"

Rob_B

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:02:42 AM »

I'll try that when I get in this afternoon.

Looked at it again this morning and there was NO option for me to select "aquire an IP address automatically from a DHCP server."

Any way you could provide me with a screen capture so that I may see that field on your web interface?  I saw no such item on mine and it still was showing all PPOE information on the Internet/Lan screen. 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:52:23 AM »

"Looked at it again this morning and there was NO option for me to select  "aquire an IP address automatically from a DHCP server.""

Then the unit is still set to "atuo" or "off".  Make sure that you powercycle the router after switching the switch.

Rob_B

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »

Connection status = QUERYING

Rob_B

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »

Ok. In business 5.5 hours after installation began yesterday.

Your trick worked, it was set on auto.  Had to unplug the router, unplug the modem, wait 1 min, restart the modem, restart the router, then it eventually starting "communicating."

AOSS failed when attempting to connect the PS3 which is only 20 feet away (if that).  Direct entry of network name and key failed to connect as well.  That's our next issue to sort out.

Rob_B

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:50:43 PM »

AOSS definitely does not work.

Moving past the 24 hour mark of when I started installation of the router now.  Started at approximately 1600 HRS yesterday, it's fast approaching 1700 HRS today.

Via AOSS the PS3 detects the network, yet information fails to be relayed to the PS3 that allows for it to set up the connection.  Cannot detect the IP settings then "connection failed."

Why did I spend $100+ on a WZR-G300NH again?

What's the solution here?

Rob_B

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and bring a laptop home from work and test connecting with it.

Even with security disabled I was unable to connect the PS3, which makes me think that no other wireless device can connect even if the lights are saying the router is working.  Guy at Buffallo tech support on the phone didn't have a clue. 

Rob_B

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »

What I figured was correct.

Laptop can connect to the network, but has limited or no connectivity using the mac address and the passkey.  The router is broadcasting that it is there, but when it comes time for it to receive data from the router it fails.

Solutions?

Rob_B

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »

Might as well continue with the solution I found for both the PS3 and Comcast and the WZR-G300NH since I didn't receive one from Buffalo techs today.

Even after following directions in this thread and directions from phone tech support the router's wireless was NON-functional.  So I had to complete the following:

1.  From Web Interface:  Initialize Airstation

2.  Reset cable settings - Was running a "query" in diagnostics tab

3.  Unplug modem/remove modem battery

4.  Unplug router

5.  Restart Modem - let it cycle

6.  Restart Router - let it cycle

7.  Back to diagnostic tab

8.  Modem was "communicating"

9.  Renamed MAC address (again)

10. Changed password (again)

11.  Cycled router (again)

12.  Back to the PS3

13.  Set-up PS3 network connection by manually entering

14.  PS3 connected to network

15.  Laptop connected to network

I would hope this isn't a process which I'll have to complete regularly.

Total router set-up time from unpacking to operational wireless state:  29 hrs, 20 minutes

Total time spent working on connection by myself and with friend support, forum support, and live tech support - 10 hours

Thanks to the mod here on the forums for his help; it was appreciated.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 05:36:57 AM »

Sorry Rob, I don't work until later or I would have gotten back to you sooner.  Glad to hear that you finally got it setup.  IMO, this router can be difficult to setup sometimes but once you get it setup it can be a beast.  That tech on the phone should have known what to do (maybe not how to manually connect with the PS3 but at least to try that).  Hope you have a better experience in the future.

malator

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:07:22 AM »

I'm seeing the exact same issue.  After repeated attempts at a process similar to Rob_B, I finally got the router to pick up an IP from Comcast.  It worked great for about 6 hours and then dropped the connection and went back to a state of Querying.  I have no problem getting an IP if I use other routers or computers directly with the Comcast modem.  

I've seen a lot of other posts on the internet complaining about this specific problem with this router.  Is there a solution to fix this issue?

Please advise.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:39:22 AM »

What firmware are you running?

malator

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »

Ver 1.70

The downloads section doesn't list any available firmware updates under WHR-HP-G300N.  Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 06:44:27 AM »

"The downloads section doesn't list any available firmware updates under  WHR-HP-G300N.  Should I be looking elsewhere?"

If this isn't regarding the same product please post it in a seperate thread.  You posted as if you were having the same problem with the same router.