Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH: problems transferring files to the HD connected via USB to my router  (Read 4964 times)

zimonty

• Calf

Hi everyone!

I hope to give you all the data needed to help solving my issue...

I've a desktop Win7 64bit connected wired to the router and then occasionally via WiFi other devices are connecting to the router (2x iPhones + Nintendo DSi + PS3).
At the USB of my router I've a Lacie Premier Cinema 500mb (formatted XFS if I remember correctly, but anyway formatted via router and not FAT32).
Shouldn't be relevant as never problems with Internet connection, but the router is connected to DLink DSL-320B.

My problem is with the HD...
After formatting it, I had to transfer the files from PC (wired) to the HD and often during this long transferring operation (probably 200 gb totally, even if split in several copy/paste jobs) my pc were showing a failure message.
The reasons of this feature was that my PC was loosing the connection to the LAN.
This could happen anyway while tranferring, but much more often if I was using my browser or downloading or chatting and so on while transferring...
The problem were easy to sort, I'm not sure how to translate as I'm italian and I don't know how some menus are called but basically it should be understable this way:
- I go into the windows network menu, where you graphically see your pc connected to your house (the LAN) connected to a world (intenet)
- In the middle of the screen, at the left there's the image of an house, on the right I click on the LAN connection
- In the new smaller window I click on the right button at the bottom ("run diagnosis" if I translate the italian...)
Doing the above procedure, in a really few seconds the PC was automatically finding again the LAN, and windows o.s. after solving all by his own informed me that my pc had load the gateway.
I was thinking of a problem due to the massive copy/paste operation, unacceptable but once all the files were copied well... that's it!

But now that all the files to be shared are on the Lacie working as multimedia server the problem is not sorted at all.
In fact when I run a program like eMule or uTorrent on my pc, instructing him to download the files directly on the Lacie , the pc keep loosing the connection with the LAN.
This is an huge, unacceptable issue as I'm not in front of the pc, so I start downloading at 10 pm and the morning after I discover that all failed at a certain time.
It's not useful to sort the problem in few seconds as I've lost a night of downloading and basically I won't (never) be able to use the Hard Disk this way...
Of course I can go around the problem and download on the local pc and then transfer the files to the Lacie but what's the meaning of all this, why the router has an USB port?
I hope to be just a little stupid, so that this is a problem of mine and not of the router: I really hope something wrong upon setting it: can someone help???

zimonty

• Calf

Really anyone is able to help me?

This is strange because if noone have this problem they you can at least confirm me this is a mistake from me.

If many of you have the same problem then if we share this issue maybe Buffalo can work on it and help...

zimonty

• Calf

Well, noone helped me nor tried al all... but at least maybe I can help someone...

In a different forum someone asked me if I disabled the IPv6 protocol, which I've done right now.

Well, after this apparently something changed... it seems to be existing a stability issue with this protocol.

Now I'm trying to stress my connection while downloading files to the HD connected via USB to my router and all is working fine up to now.

Looking at the first steps it sounds like it is the solution... who knows, but for the moment is promising...

zimonty

• Calf

The problem is not sorted... my PC always loose the LAN connection and so the HD.

When Windows solve the problem, the description of the problem is (from italian so not sure how it appear in english): PREDEFINED GATEWAY NOT AVAILABLE.

Please at least tell me if I'm the only one with this problem...!!! :smileysad:

Aveyer

• Big Bull

Make sure Windows is set to acquire an IP automatically (DHCP),

Make sure the router's DHCP lease interval is set to 48 hours.

I haven't tried the XFS file system but mine has never had a problem using FAT32, maybe try FAT32 instead and see how it goes?

Try formatting with Windows.

Unlikely a bad ethernet cable but try a different one just to rule out?

zimonty

• Calf

First of all thanks for trying helping me...

"Make sure Windows is set to acquire an IP automatically (DHCP),

Make sure the router's DHCP lease interval is set to 48 hours."

The LAN adapter, under protocol IPv4, is setted to acquire all aumatically (IP and DNS): is this what you meant?

Also, the DHCP lease period is settled to --:--:-- so infinite, is this fine?

"I haven't tried the XFS file system but mine has never had a problem using FAT32, maybe try FAT32 instead and see how it goes?

Try formatting with Windows."

Well, but how you handle large files (dvd images) with FAT32?

For me it's not a "must" to use XFS but not having the possibility to forma as the usual standard apparently the FAT32 was not enough.

Maybe I was misinformed? If so I can re-format all; if not it makes no sense: I can format it as FAT32 but if I cannot use the HD anymore for the large files I want to download!!!

Of course, cannot format as a XFS with Windows... :(

"Unlikely a bad ethernet cable but try a different one just to rule out?"

I'm using the brand new, found inside the router...

Aveyer

• Big Bull

Why is the DHCP lease period set to infinite? Try setting it at the default 48 hours. If you want your computer to always get the same IP via DHCP you can use Static DHCP (manual lease).

zimonty

• Calf

I think it's me not explaining correctly...

zimonty

• Calf

Any news?

I also tried something suggested on alternatives forums and no joy at all... I'm beaten...

Is it possible that this is due to something related to my modem not combining well with this router???

Aveyer

• Big Bull

I doubt the modem would be related to this just make sure to update the router to v1.74 firmware.

zimonty

• Calf

will do, but still make no sense as it seems I'm the only one having this problem in the world...???

cardila

• Calf

I have similar problem. Every time when I'm copying files between a NAS that is conected directly to the router and my main pc that is also conected  directly to the router, it happen that the connection is lost and when I repair the connection in the main pc using Win 7 (32 bits) the connection is restored. The problem and the temporary workaround to the problem are the very same but the difference is that I don't have a Hard Drive connected to the router via USB, in fact I don't have anything connected to the usb port. I'm using right now firmware 1.74. Apologize about my english 

zimonty

• Calf

Final solution found.

I was looking for a problem with Buffalo settings / firmware and so on but at the end Buffalo (actually working perfectly for everything else) resulted 100% perfect, and wan't guilty with my issue!!!

Recently I bougth a Macbook, and I tought "just a try: will Macbook have the same problem?" and so I tried with a night of heavy downloading.

On my Pc, with just an hour or so eMuling/uTorrenting/transferring files I was always loosing the gateway. With Macbook it perfectly worked at the first time.

This fact make me change the point of view: while looking around internet I was always looking for the solution of a Buffalo problem with the NAS. No solutions for months.

I started looking to an issue between Winzozz 7 and loosing the gateway, not involving my lovable Buffalo, and here they are tons of issues and some solutions as well.

Apparently the problem is how Winzozz 7 handle the network adapter. This is the stupid thing that sored the problem for me:
http://blog.kazmarek.com/2010/01/15/...not-available/

(in the same menu I changed some more options so if this one alone is not enough please around for a solution on the same menů - the advanced properties of your network adapter)

I hope someone will find this helpful!!!

ZeroGravity

• Calf

Intersting find... good thing that you repoted back so others and I can learn.