Author Topic: WZR-HP-300NH does not auto-detect ISP  (Read 12987 times)

spring1975

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-300NH does not auto-detect ISP
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 01:53:01 PM »

Hmm.  I had tried this and it didn't work any different.  My router did work twice without switching this, so I'm suspicious of this switch being related at all.

It's very inconsistent.  With near factory defaults, the unit would connect after multiple power cycles of both the cable modem and the router.  Then the other night, after it got unplugged by mistake, I couldn't get it to connect at all, in fact the interface wouldn't display in any way until I hard reset it three more times.

Overall, this router is extremely unstable.

torrid

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »

weymouthba wrote:

I had this exact same problem after updating to 1.72. I tried the responses listed but nothing worked.I did find a workaround, however: (please note I have Comcast)

Disconnect your modem from your router and connect it to your computer

Wait until you can browse web pages, then press Windows Key + R (at the same time)

Type CMD and press enter

When the dialog box appears, type ipconfig /all

Right click inside the window and select Mark

Select all the text and right click, this will copy your IP settings

Open notepad and paste what you selected into the document, save it

Plug modem back into router and power on

Connect to the router and navigate to the web configuration interface

Click Internet/LAN and select Use This Address as your Method of Acquiring IP Address

In your notepad document, find the IPV4 address and enter it as the IP

Copy the Default Gateway, DNS servers and Physical Address into the Advanced Settings fields from your notepad document

Click Apply and let the router reboot. You should be able to navigate to web pages. If so, go back into the Internet/LAN settings and select Acquire an IP Address Automatically from a DHCP Server as your Method of Acquiring IP Address. This ensures that if you power cycle your modem it will still pick up an IP from your provider.

Hope this helps everybody

I could accept this as the solution, but there are a couple of details that are missing:

1) In order to see all the options mentioned, you have to move the physical switch on the top rear of the router to "Router." This allows you to follow the above directions.

2) You need to remember that because IP addresses are served dynamically by your ISP, you need to capture the TCP/IP information and enter it into the router fields without disconnecting from the ISP. Pretty basic, really, but I missed it.

Keeping these two things in mind I was able to manually configure my router...and have it dynamically grab the new address if the cable modem restarts or there is another problem. Glad I was able to get this to work as I already had the RMA information from Amazon.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 11:30:41 PM »

Try powering down the cable modem for like 5 mins then power on again, plug in WZR-HP-G300NH after about 1 min, once the cable modem is bridged it just has to work, make sure WZR-HP-G300NH is in Router mode (switch on back at ON).

If connection to the ISP is MAC address dependant you may need to clone the WAN MAC of your old router?

TheMocoMan

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »

TheMocoMan

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 05:38:09 PM »

Yeah so that worked.

"Copy the Default Gateway, DNS servers and Physical Address into the Advanced Settings fields from your notepad document

Click Apply and let the router reboot. You should be able to navigate to web pages. If so, go back into the Internet/LAN settings and select Acquire an IP Address Automatically from a DHCP Server as your Method of Acquiring IP Address. This ensures that if you power cycle your modem it will still pick up an IP from your provider."

jzzz

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »

I had same problem with my WZR-HP-300H, Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std.  I had to statically enter all the info as stated in previous posts, and then clone my PC MAC address, which finally made DHCP connect and receive same WAN IP as statically assigned before.  I am a Comcast high speed internet subscriber and have never had a problem with service before buying this wireless router.  This issue needs to be addressed with a firmware update or other permanent fix!  Has anyone else found any update to this problem or a script that fixes?  Thanks.

Lothsahn

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »

I've found a fix to the compatibility problem between Charter and Tomato.  To fix the issue, do the following steps:

1) Login to Tomato
2) Go to advanced
3) Go to DHCP / DNS
4) Under DHCPC Options, put the following:
--retries=2 --timeout=5 --tryagain=310

(Note: this causes the router to only try to get an address twice, timeout after 5 seconds, and wait 5 minutes between attempts.  On Charter, you could lower the --tryagain to 3 minutes, if you wanted, but I've set it to 5 to be safe)
5) Click save

Note: This fix only has been validated in Tomato-usb 1.28.  Stock tomato 1.25 does NOT have the "DHCPC Options" field.

Details:

The root cause of the problem is that Charter's DHCP server stops communicating with any DHCP client that attempts 5 communications in a 3 minute window.  Once blacklisted, devices are not able to communicate with the DHCP server until there has been 3 minutes of inactivity.  However, Tomato's default behavior is to try 5 communications per attempt, and to try more frequently than every 3 minutes to connect. 

When making the connection, some cable modems appear to establish the upstream connection before the downstream is fully established.  This allows packets to travel FROM the router but not back TO the router.  When the Tomato router attempts to get its IP address, the packets TO the DHCP server are received, but the responses are not.  This causes Tomato to retry over and over, getting itself blacklisted.  Once blacklisted, Tomato attempts often enough to stay blacklisted.

When power is applied simultaneously (power comes back) to the cablemodem and router, certain cable modems startup at the same time as the Tomato router.  This means that Tomato has a timing condition where (after a power outage), it gets itself blacklisted and will not obtain internet access without manual intervention.  However, other cable modem models appear to startup much more quickly (or establish upload/download at the same time), and are not affected by the issue. 

From a Charter Rep:

The amount of time that it takes to reestablish a connection makes me think we could have a DHCP denial issue. This is where something from the customer's end is requesting an IP address from our DHCP servers more than 5 times in 3 minutes. The culprit of these issues is a router about 95% of the time. When this happens, your service is temporarily blocked. To fix it, the server has to be clear of all requests for 3 minutes. We usually accomplish this by unplugging modem and router for that time.

Fix:

The fix is to reconfigure udhcpc to try fewer times and to wait longer between attempts.  This prevents the router from being blacklisted.  This is achieved by passing "--retries=2 --timeout=5 --tryagain=310" to udhcpc.

Workaround:

The issue can be worked around by unplugging the Tomato router for 5 minutes, and then plugging it back in.  Alternatively, you can power on the cable modem fully before starting the router.

Reproduced this issue on a WRT54GL with the following cablemodems:

Motorola SB 5100

Ambit U10C018.80

Issue did not exist with a WRT54GL the following cablemodems:

Cisco DPC3010