Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH LAN speeds AP Mode  (Read 3141 times)

BigDawg

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH LAN speeds AP Mode
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »

I have a NetGear FVS114 as my router and intend to use my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH as an Acces Point in my living room. The devices there will be wired to the Buffalo. The Netgear is 10/100. Will the devices wired to the Buffalo device have gigabit speeds on the LAN side or will all data (even LAN side on the Buffalo in AP mode) have to go back through the Netgear router and be limited to 10/100 speeds?

gwheaton

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH LAN speeds AP Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »

Hi,

I am doing about the same thing.  My DSL modem is a router also and has Wireless G and 10/100 ports,  I wanted Wireless N and gigabit ports.  As I had to keep my current DSL / Router I got the WZR-HP-G300NH.

So glad I did.  Left the switch on the back to Auto and plugged it in.  It just worked. 

Things connected to the gigabit ports on the WZR-HP-G300NH work together at gigabit speeds.  Only time they go slower is communicating with devices that are plugged in to the Old routers 10/100 ports such as my network printer which does not need gigabit speed

BigDawg

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:04:44 AM »

Can you tell me did your router switch over to AP mode? I had to set mine to off with the switch in order to get it working. I do not have my NAS setup yet so I cannot check the speed. I just want to be sure I do not need to buy a gbit switch.

gwheaton

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:38:33 AM »

First thing I did was plug the router in to my netbook and install the current firmware, then I hooked the router up to my Network and it went in to AP mode by itself.  (I always install the latest firmware on stuff before I start using it, I seem to pull out less hair that way :smileyvery-happy: )

As far as speed goes,  before this router was installed, copying a 1.3 gig movie file from my desktopto the NAS I got about 11 MB/s,  Now with this router, I am getting 25-30 MB/s. 

Hope you  can understand this, this is how my system is hooked up

OLD DSL Modem / Router ------  WZR-HPG300NH Router (AP Mode) -----  NAS

|                                                                           |

|--Printer                                                             |-- Desktop Computer

|--Desktop Computer

The Desktops and NAS are all working together at gigabit speeds  Computers and Printer and Wireless laptops connecting to the old router are at the slower speed.  Everything hooked to the WZR-HP-G300NH  talks to the stuff hooked to the old router at the speed of the old router

My next upgrade is to add a  WLI-TX4-AG300N Nfiniti™ Wireless-N Dual Band Ethernet Converter which will give me 4 ethernet ports at my media center.  1 for my TV, 1 for my Blu-Ray Player, 1 for a Wii and 1 for a Xbox 360

BigDawg

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »

Great explanation, When you get the wireless bridge let me know what you think of it. I too am contemplating getting that bridge or another G300NH when they release it with DD-WRT in July