Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH - Remote torrent downloads  (Read 5844 times)

sinjin_smythe

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH - Remote torrent downloads
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:40:52 AM »

I've set up my router so it can be accessed remotely from another location.  When I try to access the bittorrent download page to initiate a download from a remote location, it doesnt seem to add the torrents into the list, when I click Add it just jumps onto another line.

Has anyone else tried this functionality remotely? Id like to be able to queue up my torrents for download remotely in work so they are ready to enjoy when I get home!

sinjin_smythe

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH - Remote torrent downloads
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:41:03 AM »

Update : I've tried accessing the torrent page from my blackberry and I can add torrents through that OK, so im gussing my work is blocking some functionality.  Oh well, at least I have a way of doing it now, good old blackberry!

Suavechef

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »

Can you possibly assist me in getting my remote management set up?  I think I have everything set up correctly but still am unable to set it working.

sinjin_smythe

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »

First thing i recommend having is a DYNDNS account, set your router up to update it so you will always have access if the IP address changes.

Sign up for an account then enter this into your router under -- Internet/LAN-->DDNS

Second, on your router go to Admin Config---Access router and enable "Permit configuration from wired Internet"

You should then just be able to access the router remotely using http://yourhostname.dyndns.org or whatever DYNDNS address you chose when you configured your account.

Suavechef

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:48 PM »

I got that part down.  Actually the DYNDNS was one of the first taks i completed with my initial configuration.  I love DYNDNS!  Also I did figure out how to get the remote management up and running.  I was fixated on looking in the entirely wrong place.  My mistake.  Thank you so very much for your quick reply to the thred though.

mrgustavo

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »

Mr. sinjin_smythe, can you tell us your bittorrent experience on WZR-HP-G300NH?
Do you download the files to the attached drive?
Is the drive USB powered? If so, does the buffalo router have enough power to run it?
Can you reach high speed downloads?
When downloading torrent files, is there any slow down in the wifi connectivity (range and throughput)?

I'm asking all those things because I'd like to buy one router like yours and I'd like to know if it will comply with my needs.

Thanks a lot!

sinjin_smythe

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:34:11 PM »

Hi there

I do a LOT of torrent downloading so this has been the most heavily used feature of the router I have used so far.  It does the job really well, I can just queue up my torrent to download to a 16gb USB pen i have attached onto the router USB port.  My speed from my ISP is 10mbit download, on checking the dwonload speeds for the router I have seen it max out at 1.1mb/sec download, the only thing limiting you would be the write speed of the USB pen, providing its fast enough you wont have any issues.

When its done downloading I can browse through the Network Neighbourhood in Windows and pick up the shared drive on the router and copy my files off, these copy off at up to 6mb/sec across WIFI.  I have torrents on the go all the time and havent noticed this affect my internet browsing speed as I have set up QoS on the router to prioritise the traffic on the port being used as torrents as low, http is medium and real time stuff is high proriity.  I also use a Dreambox for TV and stream live video across a 270mb link provided by the router downstairs up into my bedroom, it is faultless at handiling the torrent and dreambox traffic - the QoS would be the main reason for this... I used to suffer regular issues with bandwidth on my old DD-WRT equipped WRT54GS router and useless QoS.  This router is a light year ahead of it.

I have noticed the router lose WIFI connectivity when transferring very large files (over approx 2.5gb) across WIFI, but i dont know if this is a network issue for me, i need to test a little more as i only have the router a couple of weeks.

The only thing I dont like about it is the router allocates double the amount of space on your download while your torrent downloads, so a 6gb torrent becomes 12gb and so forth, so I'm limited to arounfd 7.5gb with my 16gb pen.  But I learned to live with that, I doubt i would change to DD-WRT on this router and loose the torrent functionality, I cant do without it now!

External hard drives should be OK with this providing they arent the type with two USB leads to povide the juice as there is only one USB port on the router.

Any more questions let me know and I'll get back to you.

katzy

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »

Hi, shinjin-smythe,

If you are using Torrent a lot, I am wondering if you encounter problems that I constantly have.  I use 8GB flash drive. I hesitate to use USB HD since I had to initialize a lot.

(1)It used double space. It is rediculous to have two same files. But, I just think that I have a half sizde drive.

(2)For unknown reason, I sometimes cannot stop or delete torrents. It just shows error. There is no specific patterns on this. I have to either delete all torrents or I usually format the drive.

(3)If I change the config (I stopped and started wireless) while torrent is working, deleted torrents appear on the download manager screen. Then, I cannot remove them as it just shows an error. I formated the disk to fix the problem.

(4)When the router somehow restarted itself while the torrent is working, the torrent does not resume after restart. It just stopped. I cannot use start/stop or delete button, and all show an error. I formated to fix the problem.

I wish it is mor stable. If DD-WRT can reliably support torrent, I would like to switch.

Netvicious

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »

You don't need to format the entire drive.

First of all update the firmware to the last version.

You only need to delete all the BT information on NAS > Bittorrent clicking on the Delete BT data button.

This option only deletes the BT files (.torrent files and temporary files) not the downloaded files. You should use this option only when you have all the torrents at 100%.

sinjin_smythe

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »

Hi Katzy,

Yes I have the same issue with the double size torrent downloads, this is a feature to allow downloads not to be interrupted and continute to seed when complete.. Im not sure why its necessary but its an undocumented feature on the router, this is why I bought the 16gb drive.

I havent expericened the issue with being unable to delete torrents.  Are you using the 1.72 firmware and formatting your USB stick using XFS? This combination works fine for me.  I have noticed not being able to "move" completed torrents off the USB key once or twice, but in that case i just "copy" the files off then delete the folder.

What kind of USB key are you using? I am using a 16gb Bytestor Dataferry key I bought off amazon.com and so far so good.   Have you tried with a different key?  I was reading another thread with someone having a problem getting torrents to start downloading and ended up getting a replacement router after speaking to Buffalo tech support.  What firmware are you using on your router at the mo?

I loved the stability of DD-WRT on my previous router but unless it gets torrent functionality then Im staying with stock firmware as it does almost everything i need.

REX

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 02:50:26 PM »

Hi guys,

the only thing that is happening with the 1.74 Build, since I made the update, is that I can't Stop a download. When I try to access my router with my 2 connected cable pc's it doesn't open the firmware menu. It says it can't connect. ("The connection was reset"). But I'm still able to browse my external hard drive connected to the Router.

I only can do anything when I make reboot on my router.

Is this happening to you?

Is there a solution?

sinjin_smythe

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 04:42:32 PM »

Have you tried a factory reset on your router?  Sounds like something is messed up somewhere

http://support.hornington.com/kb/question.php?ID=535

olle

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:03:42 PM »

First thing i recommend having is a DYNDNS account, set your router up to update it so you will always have access if the IP address changes.

Sign up for an account then enter this into your router under -- Internet/LAN-->DDNS

Second, on your router go to Admin Config---Access router and enable "Permit configuration from wired Internet"

You should then just be able to access the router remotely using http://yourhostname.dyndns.org or whatever DYNDNS address you chose when you configured your account.

all these I did - but no access - see also

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/WZR-HP-G300NH-Remote-access/td-p/41872

...I have no more ideas....

thanks for any help!