Author Topic: FTP HS-DHGL, How?  (Read 6806 times)

muffybean

• Calf
FTP HS-DHGL, How?
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:08:15 AM »

I have had a 500gb HS-DHGL for two months now and have set up different folders and user accounts ok but so far I have not succeeded in setting up the FTP side of it. I want my son to me able to download files from it (he lives in Switzerland and me in the UK). For small files using the Bufflonas web site www.buffalonas.com/username is ok but for large files this is too slow and want to use the ftp protocol.

Now I enabled ftp in the settings of  my link station, for user accounts and service. In my Netgear  DG834GT Netgear router I have configured the inbound/outbound settings to allow access to the Buffalo unit. I have fixed IP's for my LAN and use a no-IP address which picks up my IP on my system and and the no-IP directs it to the current IP (even if I type in the IP directly it still does not work).

Can you please tell me how to get the ftp side of it working.

Jason

• El Toro
Re: FTP HS-DHGL, How?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:13:35 AM »
You enable ftp server under Shared Folders--> Service Setup, and then in Folder Setup per each individual share. That's all you have to do on the Linkstation. Then just forward ports 20 and 21 on your router to the IP of the linkstation. Your son would need to know your public IP address.

muffybean

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »
   That has already been done as I said in my first message. My public IP is linked to noIP and automatically directs him to it.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
If you can access it via ftp locally, then your configuration of it inside the linkstation is done. If you can go to Start-->Run and then type ftp://"MY_LOCAL_IP"  then it's set correctly.

muffybean

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »

OK Jason I did this by putting in the following, ftp://192.168.0.9 which is the static IP on my LAN and this showed me the root folder of my linkstation in my browser but I could not see any of my shared folders so where do I go from there?

As an example I share a folder to my son say called Switzerland and give  him a username of myson and a password of leslie (all ficticious). I have enabled ftp in his folder, given him read/write access, access restrictions are enabled. In his folder under Web Access I have selected "Use Inhereited Folder Permissions" so where do I go from there?

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:03 PM »

Nowhere, if you have access restrictions set and you're using it via FTP you'd want to use an actual FTP client.  Since you have the restrictions set and you're using a web browser I'd expect you to see what you're seeing now. Try it with a client and then see if you can see your shares. 

Message Edited by Jason on 02-21-2009 01:29 PM

muffybean

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »

I am using BulletProof FTP Client now I put in **.**.***.** my current access IP address, I put my username and password in the respective boxes and use port 21. When I click on connect I get this info:

Connected, waiting for response...
Server closed control connection.

So what have I done wrong?

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 02:52:30 PM »

"**.**.***.**" and port 21?

Judging by the numbers of characters this is probably a public IP. If you're trying it from inside your network you'd want to use it's local IP instead. You might just be running into NAT loopback here, which most routers don't support.  You'd want to try what you're describing from outside your network. At this point we are just trying to verify that the FTP server is indeed functioning on the LS. 

Message Edited by Jason on 02-21-2009 02:52 PM

muffybean

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »

I tried it again but this time from BPFTP a username and password and my noIP setting and it opened up fine. I am sending you a private message of a username and password for you to try.

A friend of mine tried but he could not open it.

muffybean

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »
   I am convinced that my problem lies with the port forwarding in my Netgear Router but don't know how to set this up. Can you or anyone help here please.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »
There's some good step by steps for most common routers at http://www.portforward.com/