Author Topic: WTF - default admin password??  (Read 15659 times)

hoopster

• Calf
WTF - default admin password??
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »

brand new LS-LGL Linkstation EZ

default 'password' doesn't get accepted.

can't flash the firmware, since it also needs the default password.

This thing is brand new and didn't appear to have ever been a returned item so the password wouldn't have been changed.

any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Jason

• El Toro
Re: WTF - default admin password??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:16:27 AM »

Try leaving the field blank when flashing fw.

But alot of functions this unit does NOT do are protected with a username/password with no valid entry. 

mreuss

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:42:04 AM »

Same here. Hey Buffalo-guys: a product that can only be used after having consulted 1001 obscure forum-webpages should be B-A-N-N-E-D. It should work right out of the box - and this one clearly doesn't. So: what is the **bleep**ing admin password so I can flash that  Linkstation ? Tried everything from blank to admin to root to guest - no luck. If it should be a refurbished product (with a set pwd) I should somehow be able to reset the password somehow, right ? Just tell me how, pls ! I even went through all that acp-commander bull**bleep** and managed to reset the root password - only to discover that the NasNavi-Software doesn't accept it. WTF ?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:16:53 AM »

Did you ever think to consider that since the user never got back in touch that it actually worked for him?! But of course my your attitude you will probably blame everything else apart from yourself won't you!

First of all if you are having a problem at least give a description of the issue before going off my an encumbersome pointless rant!

There are people here that will help you but if you continue to be a f**king d**k then good luck with that!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »

Please post your product model number if you are looking for help. Just because you add to another person's post, doesn't mean you have the same model number.

You need to supply details for forum members and mods to help you.

If you have the same model as the thread originator - LS-LGL, there is a black button on the rear of the unit, labeled "reset".

Press it for 3 seconds to reset to default settings.

The default user name is "admin" and password is "password". This is printed in the quick setup guide, which can be downloaded from www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads

mreuss

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »

OK, it's a LS-L500GL, sn:15842280614483.

I run Win XP SP3. On using the LS-Firmware-updater or the NasNavi-Software, I'm always prompted for admin password. Whatever I put in (blank, admin, password) - it gets rejected ("no authentication.."). Reset (as described  by you) does not change anything in that procedure.

I did try this under Win 7 but the FW-updater does not run under it. So: what now ?

mreuss

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »

Oh and of course I tried this with Firewall turned off, with the device plugged into LAN directly or on a router.

The NasNavi always finds the Linkstation and I can store data to it, no problem here. But updating the FW, or adjusting the time: no way.

Btw: at no point in the setup-process am I prompted to put in "User".

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 06:54:10 AM »

I have heard of this unit not working with the default admin password during a f/w update but usually using admin/blank works.  If these issues persist please contact your local (Yemen) support for further troubleshooting/replacement.

mreuss

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:43 PM »

Matter resolved:smileyvery-happy:

I copied a link to the LS-firmware-updater on the desktop. On rightclicking and opening properties, I inserted /force at the end of the target string. This did it.

I then established the hacks that enable the LS to run Twonky Mediaserver (quite an ordeal for someone who doesn't speak UNIX). Necessary tools: acp commander, puttytel, addons.tar, hacking of smb.sh/smb.conf/rcS, twonky mediaserver (I used version 4.4.6). There are some very useful wikis around that can be followed. 

But thanks for your advice to contact the local dealer (who in my case is some 4000 miles from my house as I live in Yemen).

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 06:41:59 AM »

But thanks for your advice to contact the local dealer (who in my case is some 4000 miles from my house as I live in Yemen).

He was probably basing that in the IP address you are using to access this forum which mods and admins can see. Running a whois on it probably traced it to yemen so my guess would be you are/were using an anomymous proxy or web based proxy. (got something to hide? lol)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mreuss

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »

Wrong ! I actually do live in Yemen ;-))

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: how nice - default admin password??
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:01:15 PM »
Off topic post - created new topic for user

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »

You will need to reflash the firwmare on the unit. 

buffalotech.com/support/downloads

greber

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:31:37 AM »

Thanks so much. I already had downloaded the firmware, having flashed a DVD burner before.

I was a little nervous about doing it. Was it the problem. Why did it happen to loose the original firmware?

But the important thing is, IT'S WORKING!

pyscho

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 03:13:11 AM »
If you need assistance, please include the model number of your product. It's not true that just because you comment on someone else's article, you have the same model number.