Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH - disk never powered down  (Read 4095 times)

Antitoon

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH - disk never powered down
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »

Hello. I am the (almost) happy owner of a WZR-HP-G300NH. I have already updated the firmware to 1.71.

Everything is working fine, except that the router will not power the disk down, even after hours the disk has been idle and even with the BitTorrent client disabled. Mine is an external Maxtor Basics 500 GB USB 2.0 disk, formatted with XFS.

By the way, I get a transfer rate which is never over 10 MB/s when transferring file to the NAS disk, is this normal? Is there a way to get anything more?

Many thanks!

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH - disk never powered down
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:46:52 PM »

Did you enable the HDD power-saving function and set the HDD stop time? Are you using gigabit ethernet for transfers?

Antitoon

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:22:02 AM »

I guess the e-mail notifications aren't working properly, because I didn't get any notification for your reply.

Of course I did enable it, and the stop time is the default value (10 minutes). I have the Automatic USB Disk Assignment setting disabled, immediately above, may these settings be related?

Yes, I am using gigabit. The only non-gigabit device linked to our network is the ADSL router, which is connected to the Internet port of the Buffalo router.

pascalh

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
   Hi Dude, from where you get firmware 1.71? I ve only found V1.66. Thanks Pascal

Antitoon

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:47:44 AM »

That's agood question. I got it from the Buffalo website, the european section. But I can't find it anymore, it's like if it had been removed... :smileysurprised:

Slax

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »

Yes, it's been removed. Check my post in 1.70 thread, you will find some live links there.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »

Just tried last night, not working here either. (1TB FAT32 drive).

Antitoon

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »

Anybody with a different firmware (not 1.71) can check if this works? This may explain why they have removed it...

kw27

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »

Hello.  I just got this router and have been playing around with it a little.  It came installed with Fireware 1.65 (or 1.68 I forgot), but I updated to 1.72.  I have a test HD connected: 100GB formated to XFS..  I can confirm that the HD does power down and powers back up with the BItTorrent Function disabled.  With it enabled, even without anything in the upload/download list, the drive stays on.   I can diable Bittorrent and after selected time (1min. for test purposes) it powers down.  A couple times it did not seem to power down until I closed the web interface to the router (other web pages being open were fine), but that could just have been a coincidence (needing more time) or it actually needed to be closed.  I can not confirm this in other versions.  Additional, do not know if all USB external drive encosures can power down the hard drive.  You could confirm its ability by plugging the usb directly into a computer and set the hard to powerdown after a certain time.

Keith

Antitoon

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 05:12:45 AM »

Hello, thank you for your suggestion. I have solved this problem by contacting the Buffalo support. I was told to try if the disk spins down with the spin down feature *disabled*, and it does! Haven't tested this with BitTorrent yet, but I think it would also work, since this way I am using the disk built-in spin down feature and not the router's. I already knew for sure that the disk was able to speed down, because I had us been using it for a long time with my PC.