Author Topic: my experience with buffalo's wzr-hp-g300nh  (Read 2220 times)

pfjms001

• Calf
my experience with buffalo's wzr-hp-g300nh
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:47:56 PM »

Hi, I had some trouble configuring my first router outside of linksys (wrt-54g). My linksys router was still working, however the last update was around Jan 28-30, 2007, and every time I had a power surge I would have to click factory default setting in order for my wireless to detect it. Plus, it felt a little hot to the touch.

I bought this router because I was referred by a co-worker who claimed out of all routers he tried, both trendnet and buffalo met his expectations and then some.

I like to think of myself as computer literate; and as I mentioned my only experience is with linksys; but I noticed that neither the CD nor the documentation helped me setup for dhcp. They both only assisted with ppoe. The reason why I mention linksys is because at the time there was a downloaded utility that ran through and setup the connection for you by default, then you can go in and make security changes. with this router I was only able to get it to detect my wireless twice, and that's after many frustrating retries. Once I get it connected I tried to make security changes, such as using the mac filtering option. I was able to get the router back after a quick powercycle when I switched from the wall outlet to surge protector, however the second time I lost connection and was back to the frustrating task of trying to reconnect.

Eventually after some words/thoughts I decided that the router has 24/7 support for 2 years and called in to see what can be done. I even had gone back my linksys because it was less frustrating.

When I called support I noticed the typical American attitude, however I can sympathize because I too work in the customer support field(technicial support for internet/installer support) and have noticed myself doing the same thing. Regardless he was helpful taking me step by step and configuring the router. i was taking it with stride by saying linkys is idiot proof, etc...so guys don't be too hard. i was just happy to be getting support and not being charged for it like other wireless companies do. i also like many others hate the growing trend of getting out sourced support.

such as;

holding the reset while power cycling, then continuing for an additional 30 seconds

going into internet/lan and selecting the 2nd option of automatically detect dhcp

then go into basic a/b/g and changing passowrd for wpa2 to what i choose

ooh and also keeping the back switch on "on" for router instead of auto

p.s i noticed that the only time i had success detecting dhcp was with internet/lan on dhcp auto and switch set to "on" router, otherwise i would get error message of not detecting ppoe or dhcp, or failed to obtain ip address-this is when using the wizard