Author Topic: LinkStation Pro LS-1000GL cannot enable FTP  (Read 6585 times)

TedDoty

• Calf
LinkStation Pro LS-1000GL cannot enable FTP
« on: October 09, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »

I received a new LinkStation Pro today and am setting up the configuration.  I have the network settings finished and need to setup an FTP share on it.  It is running firmware revision 1.13.  When in the web configuration > Shared Folders > Service Setup, the Appletalk Protocol shows enabled and the FTP Protocol shows disabled.  I am unable to click the radio button to enable FTP, as it is grayed out.  I can disable and enable the Appletalk protocol, but this has no affect on the FTP Protocol enable button.  I have setup a shared folder with both Windows and FTP support and have disabled access restrictions on it.

How do I enable the FTP server on it?

BTW, I am also having the same problem on an older Terastation with firmware version 1.12.

Message Edited by TedDoty on 10-09-2008 04:32 PM
Message Edited by TedDoty on 10-09-2008 04:32 PM

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Pro LS-1000GL cannot enable FTP
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:33:32 PM »

The unit can not be joined with active directory.

If you are not using AD then flash the firmware and set the unit back to factory defaults.

TedDoty

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 02:14:23 PM »
   My question was not about how to join the unit to the Active Directory.  I need to know if anyone else has had the problem of enabling the FTP server on it.

TedDoty

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »
   This is interesting.  I went ahead and reinitialized the box and reconfigured the TCP/IP.  Then I was able to enable the FTP server.  When I went to join it to our domain, I got a popup that says the FTP Server will be disabled.  So, I guess I solved my own problem, but I am not happy about having to leave a separate workgroup on my network just to use the Linkstation as an FTP server for my VPN users.  I don't like the fact that the box won't use my domain security, and if I had known this before I purchased the box, I wouldn't have bought it.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »

Since you are using AD, again this feature will be disabled.  However there is a workaround.  If you use the option to delegate authority to an external SMB server and point it to the AD machine you can have your usernames and passwords from your AD server and keep the FTP option.

please see below for the how to.  

Setup Steps

1. Under Network->Workgroup/Domain, select Workgroup and put acheckmark in the "Delegate Authority to External SMB Server", "UseWindows Domain Controller as Authentication Server", "Automatic UserRegistration", and "Authentication Shared Folder" and enter therequired information.
  2. The "Authentication Shared Folder" option will create an openshare. Have the domain users that are to access the unit login to thatshare. This will register those users on the Terastation.
  3. Afterwards, you can set Access Restrictions on the sharesusing those users. The users will be the actual domain users, so if youchange the password in AD, it will change for the unit.

NOTE: When in this method, Terastations and Linkstations may (needsto be confirmed) only support LM (Lan Manager) Authentication Level,not NTLM or NTLMv2.

I had a cust in this situation where we could only make aconnection from 2k3 server when "accept NTLM responses only" waschanged to "accept LM and NTLM responses