Author Topic: WCR-G54 Win 7 incompatibility  (Read 6969 times)

ecrook

• Calf
WCR-G54 Win 7 incompatibility
« on: December 17, 2009, 07:34:28 PM »

Dea r Sir

I bought yesterday Buffalo WCR-G54 Airstation Wireless router  but I couldn't install it and configure it to run in windows 7. please send me updated firmware that will be compatible to win 7? Do I have to return it because your product software was not up to date or obsolete?

Please make the necessary adjustment coz i think it's just a good product!

ecrook

nickers

• Calf
Re: WCR-G54 Win 7 incompatibility
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:40:45 PM »

have you had any luck with this? I have just bought one of these and have the same problem. When I insert the software disc it says it is not compatible with my operating system (windows 7)

ghost0815

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »

I too had this problem before. Now I can use it on Windows 7. What I did was make a folder in your HDD and copy all the contents of the cd to your HDD in that folder. From there open the folder and look for an .EXE file called "ASSetWiz" and right click on it. From there, click on the compatibility and click on "Run As Administrator" and "Run this program in compatibility mode for Vista" then click apply. From there you can now use this Setup program. I hope this helps you guys.

Now I have a question. Does anyone know if there is a Firmware upgrade for this unit? I can't seem to find one anywhere. Although I did find a site but it's in Chinese and I can't understand it.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:04:49 AM »

Try setting it up manually.  First make sure the switch on the router is not set to bridge or auto and make sure that you have a computer hardwired to one of the four LAN ports.  Then follow these instructions:

For Cable:

First, unplug the cable modem from power for at least 5 minutes. While it is unplugged, log into the router ( http://192.168.11.1 ) and go to Advanced->WAN Settings->WAN Port. Set the "Method of Obtaining IP Address" to "Automatic via DHCP" and Apply the setting. After the setting is applied and the router finishes rebooting, unplug it from power. Plug in the cable modem to power and wait for it to fully boot up. Plug the WAN port of the router into the cable modem and then plug it into power. Once it finishes booting, check to see if you can get an internet connection.

For DSL:

There are two types of DSL Internet Connections: Those which use a username and password, and those that do not. Which type you have determines how the Buffalo router should be configured. There are instructions below for each type of DSL connection. If you are not sure which type you have, you can contact your Internet Service Provider, and verify which type you have.

Physical connection The DSL modem needs to be connected to the WAN port on the Buffalo router, and your computer needs to be connected to one of the four numbered ports on the Buffalo router. The Power LED should be illuminated. The Wireless G led, and red DIAG led may be on. There should NOT be a green bridge led illuminated (it looks like a green arch). If there is please let us know.

DSL that does NOT use a username and password

First log into the Buffalo router ( http://192.168.11.1 ), the username is root, and there is no password by default; so you can leave it blank. Once logged in, click on 'Internet/LAN'. Set 'Method of acquire IP address to' 'Acquire an IP Address Automatically from a DHCP Server', and click 'Apply'. When the router finishes restarting, check to see if you can get online.

If you are not able to get online, goto 'Diagnostic'. On the Diagnostic page, click on 'release'. Then unplug the power from your modem for 5 minutes. Once the DSL modem has been power off for 5 minutes, power it back on. On the 'Diagnostic' page, click on 'renew'. Wait about 30 seconds, and try getting online.

charo_abogado

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »

Good day Sir/Ma'am!

I also have WCR-G54 unit, but I can't set-up it in my win 7. How can I make use of it? 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:16:22 PM »

If you follow the above directions it should work.  If not connect your computer directly to your modem and see if you are getting internet from it.  Let me know.

etnadzki

• Calf
WCR-G54 Setup CD
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »

I'm also using Windows 7. And was having a hard time configuring my router. What I did was: I borrowed my friend's laptop (Vista) to have it configured.

BTW, I lost the setup CD for my WCR-G54. I had it reset and now I can't seem to have it configured.

Where can I download the setup CD? Thanks!

etnadzki

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »

Using Windows 7, i can't seem to do this since it wouldn't allow me to get in using the username 'root' and with no password, even if I have reset the router several times.

I still go back to using Vista. Now I wanna upgrade the Vista to Windows 7 but I couldn't due to this issue - Windows 7 Incompatibility...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »

OS shouldn't have anything to do with being able to get into the GUI.  I've tested this with multiple wireless routers on a Windows 7 system and can find no fault on the router side.

jib2181

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »

i have problem with the router i use windows 7 os system the first time i used it i only plug the cables into the router  my computer and other computer to it (WCR-G54) and it work just like that,  but a day later my other computer had a problem and had to replace my motherboard. once i finally setup my computer i have plugged it to the router the way i did it the last time but there were no internet connection even a network there were time when i fixed it the other computers have internet access but the other have not i don't know what to do now (please advised) because i really need to network my computer so desperately i used DSL internet

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 01:47:06 PM »

doesn't sound like your new computer has DHCP turned on, so it isn't getting an IP address on the network.