Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH: wireless problems still exist with v1.65  (Read 5656 times)

Twisted_Pear

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH: wireless problems still exist with v1.65
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »

WZR-HP-G300NH Ver.1.65 (R1.66/B1.03)

I can happily say that the connectivity issues I - same as many others - were having with the original firmware is no longer present. One of the problems I had in addition to connectivity still exists though. This is not a problem that is always present. It seems to appear after the router has been operating for X amount of hours [seems indicative of a memory issue?]. Basically once this problem starts the wireless devices can connect out to the Internet, and other wired devices, but nothing can communicate inbound with the wireless devices. Wireless cannot ping each other nor can a wired device. Along with that no wired device can contact a sevice such as www or VNC. This is not an interference issue or the like. After a reset the router and devices operate as they're supposed to. I am using a G client and an N client; both are totally different computers.

I can only think of this problem being related to torrent traffic? A few days ago I had been running torrent traffic, with heavy seeding.

A reset will fix this problem but since it currently exists I'm not going to reset the device since I can attempt to test for any other things. So if support could offer any advice I would appreciate it.

Memoryman

• El Toro
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH: wireless problems still exist with v1.65
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »

Do you have any error logs that relate to this?

Twisted_Pear

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »

There's no obvious problem in the log file. No errors period.

Another problem I have in this state is if the wireless clients are unused for a long enough time they seem to be forgotten. I have to disable and re-enable the wireless device on them to get them to communicate with the router again. If I keep a continuous ping session up I don't have a problem. And the ping sessions never indicate any wireless connectivity problems (or interference) via an unreasonable ACK time. For example, after 3000 pings 3ms is average.

I'm not sure what else to do or check so I think I'm going to start over from scratch.

nonwired

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »

Not sure starting over will help.  I have this exact same issue with any laptop that connects...

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »

Haven't had a single problem with mine, currently running the entire network through wireless with a Ubiquiti Nanostation2 connected to it.

What region did you buy it in and did you update with firmware from the Buffalo website for that region?

nonwired

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »

Bought in the US and installed the US version of the firmware.  I used Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector to look at all the wireless access points around my house and selected an unused channel (instead of the default 1).  We'll see if that helps...

nonwired

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »

Changing the channel doesnt seem to help.  Wireless clients still lose connection even in the same room as the access point.

Twisted_Pear

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »

"I'm not sure what else to do or check so I think I'm going to start over from scratch."

Since I've reinitialized I don't appear to have the problems I used to. So far so good but more time is needed to confirm that.

Twisted_Pear

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 05:59:58 PM »

So after about 3 weeks the problems have returned. No wireless client can access the network, local or internet. The clients are connected and stay connected but everything times out, fails DNS resolution, can't be pinged, etc at random. And the issue with connecting to a wireless client from a wired one, like with Windows RDC or WinVNC, fails; nothing inbound. Nothing in the logs either. I restarted and the problems mysteriously vanish.

I think this is it for me. I'm not going to have to manually reboot my router every few weeks. I don't see this being fixed within the next 6 or so months so I'm going with hardware with better 3rd party support.

nonwired

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »

So only my Wireless G laptops have connection issues.   My wireless N laptop is fine.  Hope the next firmware update resolves this issue...

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »

No problems here with B/G/N. Even had a Ubiquiti Nanostation 2 connected (tried B and G) and worked perfectly with traffic passing constantly for hours.