Author Topic: WHR-G300N strange performance!!  (Read 7083 times)

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
WHR-G300N strange performance!!
« on: October 22, 2009, 12:28:12 AM »

Hi everyone,

I left a message to the tech people asking for these problems and had not received a response yet.  So, I'll try my luck here.

Got this router on sale being an draft-N and wanting more speed than my 3 other G routers.  I also bought a cheap Comstar draft-N USB dongle adapter to work with it cause it was cheaper than the Buffalo version and has a Realtek chipset.

Ok the router is set to AP (mode in in Auto) and am using the DLink Game Lounge G router as my main link to the net.  I am using stock 1.60 firmware.  When it's working right, it is FAST and responsive.  When it is not and it happens often, it disconnects, long latency delays, crashes when another WIFI device logs on and needs to be powered off and on again.  When it's working right, it is WITHOUT using any security (Open).  As soon as I activate any kind of security like WEP/WPA using the manual settings mode as you would with an old Linksys G/Dlink G router, the problems came back.  I can't even transfer a 20MB file without crashing the router.  Not only that, I can not get my Comstar N USB dongle to talk to this router at 300mbps when the security is activated and frequency bandwidth set to 40Mhz.

However, in non-protected mode (OPEN), I can get 300mbps and the connection is solid!  So what's good with a N router that can not be used in security mode at all!  I almost wanted to return this bloody piece of junk back to my dealer.  Then a thought came.  Why not try using the WPS (Wifi Protected System), that AOSS button ontop.  Incidentally, my Comstar USB N dongle comes with this feature built into the software.  So, I synced both and the router went into WPA/TKIP?AES shared security mode (better than I could ever set with a super long key string set), but what happened was incredible.

After initiating this link up, I get

1, 300mbps RX/150Mb TX with a strong signal (impressive)

2, Website loads super quick with no delay (was a delay with G setup and normal WPA key coding)

3, Able to maintain Gigabyte file transfers from my NAS fast and stable.  (Did a 5Gb transfer with no hiccups)

4, Speedtest.net was on par wtih my Dlink Game Lounge (before it was pathetic slow with frequent disconnects)

5, Getting on is instant rather than count your fingers

While the link is solid, I can not get on this SSID that has already been paired with my Comstar with an Ipod.  So, tried multi-security and as soon as I use a normal WPA passphrase and connecting with the iPod Touch, the Touch will use SSID 2, but locks up SSID1 and then the symptoms come back.  Slow xfers, crashing etc..

I suspect the fault is with the WPA/WEP security implementation.  Buffalo is not the only one that had this problem.  When Linksys came out with the disasterious WRT-54G version 6, I had to wait 2 years to get this unit working reliably. 

The question to Buffalo tech is this, do I have to wait 2 years like what Linksys did to me on my lemon WRT-54G version 6.0.

My principle is this, if I spend money buying something, I don't need to run DD-WRT to get it working right.  It should work out of the box.  Well, in this case, it didn't.  However, I am willing to accept this limitation for now because I got the router on sale.

Rick.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: WHR-G300N strange performance!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:28:38 AM »

I assume you bought the router in the US? and when you say the router crashes...does it auto reboot (DIAG light on etc)?

I bought mine from the UK and never had any sort of problems like this, it hasn't been rebooted for months and is rock solid.(using WPA2 btw)

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »

Bought both the router and USB dongle in Canada.  Crashes means, the router is non-responsive and getting to 192.168.11.1 gets you to the log-in page and then it reloads, reloads, reloads and then reloads forever causing Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox to reload into a loop -- very frustrating!

It seems that the router works with some type of WIFI devices.  The iPod Touch works fine with it, but my laptop with the Broadcom chipset (B/G only) in WPA simply locks it up and goes to this never ending loop.  My Apple MacBook latest genre doesn't but then my iPaq with Wifi B and simple WPA crashes it again.  The trend is, as soon as I engage some kind of security except (WEP), this thing becomes unstable and it's really no use to me for this AP to act as our family's gateway media wireless hub if it can not do the things a DLINK or a WRT-54G can competently and easily!  Anyhow, it's still not perfect.  I just noticed today that after 8 hrs of inactivity, the link needs to be reset once on the router to get a gateway address from my main router net link so I can access the net again.  However, I do not have to do this when I access my NAS!  But for the price and N performance, this was a great deal for single use only.  For multiple net user usage, I suggest someone else to look at DLINK/LINKSYS.

Rick.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »

Have you tried the latest FW 1.64 for your WHR-G300N, at the Buffalo US download site?

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »

That's what I plan to do tonight!

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »

I've updated to v1.64, no problems.

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »

While firmware 1.64 helps in the stability, I am still not impressed with the performance on SSID 2, namely using WPA+PSK encryption serving an Asus WL-330ge wireless adapter connected to our media player.  Before 1.64, SSID 2 with WPA performance was mediocre at best and would drop SSID 1.  After 1.64, it's not any better in the tthroughput department.  May have gotten worse?!?

I mean, my Linksys WRT-54G version 6.0 can stream from 6866kbits/s up to 12845kbits/s and so does my D-Link Game Router.  Whereas with this Buffalo connected at G speed, it could only stream 2300kbits/s to a top speed of 3305kbits/s.  For streaming DVD, these speeds are unacceptable at best and the video stutters.  It does not with either the DLINK or Linksys.  Streaming in SSID 1 is perfect with my N USB dongle.  I dare Buffalo to do better than a basic Linksys WRT-54G at G speed with WPA encryption.  To me, it seemed you guys seemed to have problems implementing WPA security that causes a reduction in speeds?!?  WPA2 seemed good, which is what I am using on SSID 1.  But I need WPA at the highest speeds possible.

Thanks.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 09:03:37 AM »

I've never used the multi-ssid feature myself but I assume you don't have something pulling bandwidth on SSID1 while also pulling bandwidth on SSID2, which would slow it down? Your not going to get full 24mbps of throughput (with G) per SSID, it will always be 24mbps bandwidth shared between all clients.

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:12:53 AM »

I had thought of that too, so I made sure no one is connected to SSID 1 during the test, only SSID 2 to simulate the similar conditions the Dlink or Linksys were put through.  No change.  Seemed stuck at around 3000kbits/s, whereas the other routers did not.  Even browsing the website only using SSID2 at G speed seemed slower and less responsive.  I also tested SSID1 connected at 150mbps/300mbps link transfering gigabyte file sizes  to and from our computers to our NAS while the iPod Touch is streaming radio from the net on SSID2.  No delays whatsover so I am impressed with that!  Just SSID2 is slow at G speed.  Up the speed, and we will be happy!

I'm going to try WEP to see if this helps.  If it does, than it must be with WPA.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »

Just tested two SSIDs with WPA2/WPA mixed on SSID1, WPA on SSID 2, got maximum throughput,24mbits on G, about 62 mbits with N (20mhz) adapter (N would be faster even if I had adapter faced the right way) also had my iPod Touch streaming radio from shoutcast on the same SSID too. So no problems with it for me.

Also don't forget to try changing the wireless channel, you could be getting interference from elsewhere which makes speed suffer.

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »

My N performance is amazing.  The Comstar USB N dongle using the Realtek chipest supports WPA2, 2.4Ghz band and 40Mhz at N and so, I'm getting better performance than yours I suppose, higher than 62mbits and the new firmware ups the responsiveness of the link.  I'll give SSID2 another try.  I have no problem using iPod Touch on Shoutcast on SSID2 (but radio streaming takes less bandwidth than video streaming) while SSID1 is being overloaded by gigabyte file transfers (8Gb over our NAS) and no hiccups.  This router has the processing power definitely on par with our more expensive Dlink game lounge, something my Linksys router lacks.  If I can get SSID2 to perform like yours did and best the WRT-54G, then we are going to be happy.  SSID 3 is currently set for our girl's Nintendo NDS lite with WEP and that performance is good.  We really like this router's Multicast ability.

Thanks for doing the test Aveyer.. 

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 11:29:45 AM »

I tested N in 20mhz mode which was why it was about 62 mbits, I remember testing before with jperf in 40mhz mode and it went as high as 92mbits. Are you sure it's not the adapter? maybe it doesn't like G for some reason. Try updating the drivers for the adapter too.

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »

Finally figured out why it was slow.  Channel issues, especially with channel 11 (quite a bit of 11 being used in our neighborhood.  Followed Buffalo tech recommendation and changed to channel 1 and SSID 2 now seemed responsive and quick for transfers.  So far, it's stable and quick.  Very delighted to finally have a working router.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 04:06:45 PM »

I also recommended changing the wireless channel a few posts back. Good to know it's finally working out.