Author Topic: Simple, easy question about passing port traffic, WZR-HP-G300NH  (Read 3242 times)

LoneWolf15

• Calf
Simple, easy question about passing port traffic, WZR-HP-G300NH
« on: November 12, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »

Hi,

I'm trying to open up several ports in my new Buffalo router.  I don't really want a port-forward, because I want traffic on these ports to work with multiple computers on my intranet, not just one IP address.

Say I want TCP port 6009 traffic passed.  I have tried using IP Filter under the Security tab, setting two rules, one for Internet-->LAN traffic, and one for LAN-->Internet traffic, each set to "Enabled" for the selected port.  This hasn't worked for me --the application I'm using still says that port forwarding is not enabled, and testing via an internet site confirms that the port is not open.

Am I using the wrong method?  This router works great so far, but the interface isn't nearly as intuitive as my D-Link DGL-4300 was.

LoneWolf15

• Calf
Re: Simple, easy question about passing port traffic, WZR-HP-G300NH
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »

Okay, I think I figured it out.  It looks like I need to create a group, and then add multiple IP addresses to that group,  through Port Forwarding.

Question --is it possible to add an IP range, rather than individual addresses one at a time?

LoneWolf15

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »

And no, I haven't figured it out.  I can still only add one IP address if I'm port forwarding.  So, this effectively limits me to one computer for the application, unless someone can tell me how to get around it.

I had no problems doing this with my previous router, I just want traffic from a given TCP or UDP port to be passed straight through, regardless of the internal LAN IP.  Any ideas?

zaphod777

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:19:46 AM »

thats generally how it works. Internally shouldn't matter but from the WAN to the LAN this is all pretty standard you may look into tunning an ISA server or some sort of load balancer appliance that can do this.

LoneWolf15

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 07:17:40 AM »

What I've done for now is set the programs in question to a different TCP/UDP ports for each machine, and set up an different port-forward group for each.  That will get me around this at this time, though I'd love to have done it the way I did before.  Fortunately, the programs I'm using have customizable ports, and the apps I use that don't (e.g., Remote Desktop) are only being used on one system.

Clunky, but it works.