Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH problem with DHCP(Comcast)!  (Read 8051 times)

barneyzang

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH problem with DHCP(Comcast)!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »

I was running into what I believe the same problem everyone else has had with Comcast.  Here's the key to what I did to get it working:

1.  Turn the router off (as in, pull the power cord out).

2.  Turn the cable modem off.   Note: for anyone that has the Comcast telephone service, this involves removing the battery from the cable modem in addition to pulling the power cord out.  The Comcast VOIP cable modems typically have a battery backup so you can still make phone calls if there's a power outage -- it also seems to preserve some kind of DHCP/MAC relationship that foils efforts to plug-in a new router.

3.  Turn the router on -- let it boot up fully

4.  Turn back on the cable modem (having returned the battery if you took it out)

Once I was able to fully power-off the cable modem, everything came up swimmingly.

bigjilm37

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 12:49:40 PM »

I had the same issues until i upgraded the Firmware to DD-WRT which has a build specifically for this AP. DD-WRT definately doesn't have any issues with pulling DHCP from comcast.

spliff

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »

I received this response on the 9th Nov 2010 in response to my complaint regarding DHCP lease renewals and cable modems. I have tried all versions of the current firmware and nothing fixes it.  Let hope 1.76 fixes everything else as well.

We are currently awaiting a firmware release (1.76 - user friendly firmware) for this router which should have the fix to resolve this issue. We have not as yet been given the release date for this firmware but have been advised it will be available shortly.

Please check the website periodically to see when this firmware is available, and and then update to this version. after the firmware has updated, please reset the unit, and configure it for you internet connection by running the connection wizard, and this should then resolve any DHCP lease problems.

dandini

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 11:53:49 PM »

What a waste, i just bought less then month ago... It seems many people struggle

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 05:55:50 AM »

Firmware 1.76 is out.  I would suggest upgrading it.

maximum

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »

I'm on firmware 1.79 and the router switch is set to "ON" (always has been).  Today I power cycled the router (which i've done without problems in the past) and now it will not detect DHCP from my modem anymore.  I've tried everything form power cycling the modem and router in different sequences, esetting the router, unplugging both modem and router for 15 minutes, switching to Auto then back to On ... nothing works. It's had problems detecting DHCP before but it eventually worked, but not this time.  My Internet provider is COX so it's not just a Comcast thing.

After messing with it for a couple hours I gave up and plugged in my old router, which works fine so I know there's nothing wrong with my modem or Internet service.

Go figure -- the warranty expired a couple of months ago.