Author Topic: WHR-G300N firmware  (Read 43583 times)

shimsim

• Calf
Re: WHR-G300N firmware
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »

Not that anyone still cares judging by the response on this forum but the new firmware 1.65 still suffers from drop outs when transferring large files. it is marginally more stable but at the end of the day this router is still unusable and has nothing short of a total waste of time and money.

thanks!

shimsim

• Calf
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2010, 02:34:11 AM »

So now that Buffalo itself has started officially using DD-WRT (http://www.buffalotech.com/press/releases/buffalo-and-dd-wrt-collaborate-to-create-the-most-comprehensive-consumer-and-small-business-wireless-offering/)

how about giving some native support to other routers, like this troubled G300N .... because lets face it ... the stock firmware just does not work

we already know that is will run on this router (if you check with dd-wrt) but for those of us that done want to mess around trying to flash it .... how about giving us an official firmware option using dd-wrt ?

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2010, 10:13:58 PM »

One of the challenges in making an N wireless product is the fact that it has to operate in a congested WIFI topology while maintaining ever higher speeds (faster than 11b/g), meaning that because WIFI is so popular and almost every household owns at least 1 to like 5 APs, you are going to expect some sort of interference from legacy and older draft 11n products that people are still using!

It all has to do with CCA (Clear Channel Assessment).  The final draft 2.0 n espouses the "do no harm" policy.  Meaning that, if the access point detects a channel being used by some other legacy products, it will yield using it until that channel clears.  Lacking any sort of standards in the older draft implementation, every vendor can implement whatever they think is the appropriate CCA action, sometimes to a point of kicking your AP out completely; thus loosing your connection to your access point.  If you want n speed, this is what you have to put up with, especially if you have a single 2.4Ghz band.  If you live in a congested WIFI area, then plan on buying the more expensive dual band n version; you need to pay double or triple the price what you paid for this one in order to work perfectly.  Or you can opt for an assertive do no harm kind of certified draft 2.0n router that won't loose your connection, but grind to a very very slow xfer speed until such time that the channel it needs to use to achieve faster speeds is available again!  Which is why I still have a WRT-54G router modified for extended range.  I finally figured out that some routers in my area are non-draft 2.0, but running draft 1.0 and are quite aggressive in their channel selections and interferences resulted in dropped VNC connections as well as large file transfers.  Unless you live in a very traffic free 2.4Ghz frequency spectrum, this is what you need to expect.  I know of other brands of N products suffer the same fate, unless they can operate in the 5Ghz range and you know you don't have a lot of traffic in that spectrum range.

Which is also why that in many sanctioned events like the recent Winter Olympics that they mandated no one should be operating their OWN hotspot on b/g/n 2.4Ghz spectrum.  Fine with 11a which btw operates at the 5Ghz spectrum which will not interfere with their regulated official frequencies.

DT.

shimsim

• Calf
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »

that may be the case, but i am living in China on the 22nd floor of an apartment complex with no other wifi AP's in the area .... on the odd occasion when you do come across another AP, it will almost certainly be G and not N because there is not much choice out here for N AP's 

sorry to say this but a more likely cause for the problem is Buffalo making a crap product

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »

There doesn't have to be another N AP to interfere with you, anything that uses 2.4ghz (baby monitors and cordless phones too etc) will cause interference.

shimsim

• Calf
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »

i guess if you saw where i live it would be easier for you to appreciate just how little interference there is likely to be ..... its a very 'low tech' area :p

i didnt really want to mention it just in case the admin decide to cut my post ... but i did find a stable solution for this router ... i tried dd-wrt firmware .... its the difference between day and night .... 

so my theory still stands ... :smileywink:

bunny

• Calf
Re: WHR-G300N firmware ... 1.81 out in Jp ^^!
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2010, 03:50:15 AM »

http://www.zqwoo.jp/sak_news/show_c/147808

1.81 for a few models, so in a few years, maybe there'll be an english version ...

shimsim

• Calf
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2010, 03:53:47 AM »

in a few years maybe .... and an even bigger maybe that it will fix any of the problems :smileytongue:

TheNowis

• Calf
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »

Wow!!!

I was surprised to heard so much negative thoughts about the WHR-300N and Buffalo in general, as a matter of fact, I have been using WHR300N for close to a year and to tell you frankly, I think it is a very good and efficient router.

I am not an expert in wireless router....I just used the router for wireless and wired feature to surf the net and download some.  So far, it has not failed me.  I lived in a average sized apartment, and due to the limted space, I placed the WHR300N under my table in my study wired to a PC and another 2 notebooks around the apartment runnign with wireless features.

The wireless was able to give Excellent and Very Good range (according to the http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler). I have friends that came to my home and was surprised to see my router stack under the table....they told me that their router could not even come closed to what the WHR300Nhas given me.

Out of fun, I purchased another wireless router (NetGear 200N), it was not able to give such good range and their service was in my opinion worst than Buffalo Tech.  I was glad to gave it away and keep my WHR300N.

Anyway, I am here to give my frank opinion and feedback.  Thank you for your time and Good Luck.

bunny

• Calf
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2010, 04:08:07 AM »

talking to myself here.

strings on the 1.73 for the G301 shows:

WZR-HP-G300NH
WZR-HP-G300NH
start

and then presumably its compressed 20mb worth of garbage.

FeatheredFrog

• Calf
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »

Well, I've a WHR-G301N, which has an Japanese firmware 1.70

Anybody knows, can I use English firmware for WHR-G301NV2 ?

I suggest, that it's the same router, but it has a different name for Japanese and American/European market (respectively, G301N for Japan and G300NV2 for Europe)

Please help if you know, because in case if my suggestion is wrong, I'll probably have troubles with it.

Thank you!

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »

V2 usually means Version 2 is probably a hardware change - -Japan hardware, especially wireless, is often different than USA and Europe hardware, even with the same part number.

geziukas

• Calf
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »

when firmware would be fot whr-g300nv2-eu to download ? Just in buffalo asia are, for EU or USA - none

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/ has the EU downloads. Doesn't look like they have new FW yet.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »

I'll ask Japan to send 1.81 in english, but just because it has the same part number, doesn't mean the hardware is the same. If the HW is different, the FW won't work on US and UK models.