Author Topic: WHR-G300N - computers in the network not seeing each other  (Read 7899 times)

tvih

• Calf
WHR-G300N - computers in the network not seeing each other
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »

I've been using a WHR-G300N for a couple of months now. I haven't had any major problems, except for one - and this one problem is a really annoying one.

The problem is that my desktop and laptop don't always see each other in the network even when both are on and connected to the router. It's weird because at times it does work for short periods, but it's sporadical at best. Currently my desktop is connected via RJ-45, and laptop with WLAN (54mbps), but earlier both were on WLAN, and if I recall, the problem was the same.

I'm not a complete stranger what comes to networks, but I can't think of what to do. Obviously it should be working no matter how the computer is connected to the router. And just to make it clear, both computers do have the connection to the Internet working at all times, it's just the communication between computers that is failing. It's not an IP collision or anything like that, that's for certain, and I've tried both manual and automatic IP assignment (currently manual).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

(P.S. Firmware version appears to be "Ver.1.60 (R1.49/B1.09)".)

Message Edited by tvih on 08-06-2009 04:15 PM

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: WHR-G300N - computers in the network not seeing each other
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
   Make sure that "Separate Feature" is unticked in wireless config>basic and that "Privacy Separator" is unticked in wireless config>advanced.

tvih

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:34:52 AM »
   Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, both of those were indeed unticked already.

tvih

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:06:40 PM »
   Got a new desktop computer finally. It has WiFi in it, and the problem still persists - the computers can connect to each other only randomly.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 09:45:59 PM »
   If they are Windows computers make sure they are in the same workgroup.

Goodspike

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 12:40:32 PM »

Perhaps firewall software?

TVi

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 02:14:16 PM »

Hi i have excatly the same kind of problem. Usually when i bootup the laptop it can see my other computers as well as Buffalo Linkstation Live II Nas drive and the USB drive connected to the router as a nas drive. But after a while, can really say for how long but maybe an hour or so, the laptop can't anymore see other stuff connected to the router, not even the USB drive directly connected to the reouter.

I have tried all those mentioned earlier with no success, i've turned of firewall and am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the laptop since other has same problems also.

This is really getting annoying. I had no problems with excatly same kind of setup with my WHR-HP-G54.

Would love to know if someone has been able to fix similar issue

zaphod777

• Tatanka
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:35:35 PM »
   Ca you verify that all firewalls are turned off on all machines? can you ping them? What are the OS of each machin etc etc.

TVi

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »

I have Vista in my laptop as well as on my desktop. Now when i just booted up my laptop and connedted to wireless i can access my Linkstation live NAS drive as well as USB drive connected to router. Even though i have firewall turned on in laptop.

The problem usually appears after a while when the laptop has been idle or i don't access those NAS drives at all. If i'm watching a movie located in NAS drive there's no problem it  may work several hours without a problem.

I did try to ping the Linkstation Live NAS drive when i couldn't acces it and it did not respond. The strande thing is that Buffalo NasNavigator2 app can see the drive but still can't access it so i thought about security issue.

I did change my wlan security to wpa2-psk/aes yesterday and it seems to work a little better. Could this have something to do with it (previous wpa-psk/aes)

And i'm using 300Mbs wlan in case that matters.

EDIT:

I just had my laptop "screen locked" for about 20 minits. Now when i try to access my desktop, linkstation NAS or USB NAS i get an error describing that network resource is not accessible, user rights may not be sufficient... (rough translation from Finnish)

Again a wierd thing is that i can access music on Linstation NAS drive through windows mediaplayer if i open "TVILINKSTATION: LinkStation : PVConnect: Windows Media Connect" from network resources but i still can't access the NAS drive it self. And i can also open the Web admin through browser to the Linkstation NAS drive.

Getting confused :(

Message Edited by TVi on 09-08-2009 11:27 AM
EDIT2: 
I rebooted my laptop and now everything is working again but propably will fail again if i lock the laptop for sometime or put it to sleep.

Message Edited by TVi on 09-08-2009 11:48 AM

tvih

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 09:14:37 AM »
   In my case both computers are running Windows 7. It's not an issue with workgroups (the computers are in a shared homegroup though) or such, as even pings fail. The computers simply don't see each other "physically" at all. Just now I was using the network connection between the two for a couple of hours, until it again decided to stop for no reason whatsoever. An-fricking-noying.
Oh, and when the network does work, it's like 1MB/s max.
Message Edited by tvih on 09-14-2009 04:22 AM

thetimo

• Tatanka
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:33:56 AM »
   So the connection was alive for a while? Have you already reset your WHR? By the memories I have about my late-G300N, it needed just a reset regularly.

tvih

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 11:39:52 PM »
   Yeah. Like I implied in the starting post, it does work sometimes. But usually for less than an hour before it craps out again. Can't really be bothered to reset it every hour when I'm trying to do something involving the network. Not that the reset always even helps.

TVi

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 03:08:29 PM »

In my case when the wireless laptop loses access to the wired desktop ie. gives the error \\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied." i can still access the laptop from my desktop so i can see the shared forlders from my laptop in my desktop.

But from the laptop if i go to Network in explorer i can still see my TVI-PC, TVI-LAPTOP and so on but if i try to open them i always get the same error even if i try to open the TVI-LAPTOP which is the one i'm using to do it.

So i quess this sort of rules out the possibility that it has anything to do with the router, but i would still like some help if anyone has encountered similar issues and has been able to solve them somehow.

Pandaness

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 06:55:31 AM »

Im using windows 7 and when my Router can't detect my DHCP server, my internet works well when i disconnect the router but fails again when i reconnect it, then when i reset the router, (using the button under) it only detects the SSID under the barcode which is 001D73D017E4 and still cant install the software, can anyone help?