Author Topic: Wireless n range problem with wzr g300nh  (Read 6744 times)

mangkuk69

• Calf
Wireless n range problem with wzr g300nh
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:13:54 AM »

i recently bought this router and my house has 2 Wireless g and 2 Wireless N(Buying another 1-Buffalo usb n adapter).

i sent this message to you regarding the range capability of my router. i have set the router to 40Mhz to utilize the the full bandwidth avail. my n adapters are certified adapters that can reach 300mps. i got the speed fixed but i am really unsatisfied by the range of the N mode. you see, the speed is transmitting(300mbps) all ok but the range drops out exactly the same spot as wireless g. all the reviewers said of at least 100m range- the most

Why is this so? i have been made a zombie by this product, day in and day out, as i kept searching for Solutions. some one said to change the adapter bandwidth to 40Mhz but i dont know how. the n adapters are ralink 2790 and intel 4965abgn. he also said to go to Network connections>Network properties> advanced tab to configure the respective adapters, i saw and there is nothing that said channel bonding other than a hell of other things in a list that i dont understand.

i like the way the product looks and i hope it is just a firmware problem. i only can conclude that the 802.11n protocol is very Choosy and pocky and supports its own manufacturer procuducts.

pls help me. i will feel relieved if you can lift this burden of my shoulder.

Thanks.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: Wireless n range problem with wzr g300nh
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »
   Firstly, like I said in the last thread, verify that the router is at 100% output power (wireless config>advanced). Also, having the router in 40mhz mode for the extra bandwith reduces the range, for better range use 20mhz, for better speed use 40mhz.I've just tested that last night with my WHR-G300N and WLI-UC-G300HP adapter and 20mhz definetley goes a bit further and only has slightly less total speed (throughput) that 40mhz mode.
Message Edited by Aveyer on 07-31-2009 06:19 PM

mangkuk69

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:18:36 AM »

1.i'll try it out tonight when i get the buffalo high power adapter usb. so that means range depends on the bandwidth? wow. ok, just changed to 20mhz mode and see how it goes when i get back.  ihope range does increase otherwise im just gonna have to sell this. it must work.

2. when will 802.11n will be really finalized and all router manifacturers use only ONE standard as to date, i've heard that manufacturer tweaked the rough copy of this protocol and call it their own DRAFT N. when will it just be N.

Seriously, i dont know how to thank you. but really i appreciate all the help i got from u. i hope i didnt bother u that much.

Message Edited by mangkuk69 on 08-01-2009 12:19 AM

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »

No problem, let us know how it works out tonight. :smileywink:

Edit: (Range/bandwith) That's why you see the connection speed dropping too when there are obstacles or when the signal gets weak, the lower the speed the further it will go/or the best it can do with that strength signal.

Message Edited by Aveyer on 08-02-2009 05:35 AM

mangkuk69

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:50:38 AM »

hey, the same thing happens. range dies at the same spot where wireless g also dies. there is only 2 concrete walls about 35cm thick. i really dont understand . . . . . .im pisssed. 20 mhz or 40 mhz no difference other than the speed which i eventually got 300mbps on 40 mhz. but the range more or less the same!!!

IN N Mode: 

40mhz-dies at where wireless g dies at

20mhz- about half a metre more than wireless g. SO WHAT ???? N is supposed to go 30-40 m MORE

WHAT KIND OF PRODUCT ARE YOU PEOPLE MARKETTIUNG >>>?>???? i am really ???!?!@?@?@?

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »
   Try changing the wireless channel, I think yours is currently at 6? so try other channels like 1 or 11 and see if there's any improvement.
Message Edited by Aveyer on 08-02-2009 05:07 PM

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:04:51 AM »

Actually the router is probably operating as it should be, there is a hardware limitation on your network (aka the 2 "G" cards)

If you have any G device connected to the router then the entire network drops down to G. It cannot operate on G for some devices and N for others, thats not the way networking works with this case. Get any single band N router and you will probably have exactly the same issues.

Just my 2 cents, i suggest you actually do some research before going off on another rant :P

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »

"range dies at the same spot where wireless g also dies. there is only 2 concrete walls about 35cm thick."

Um... that makes perfect sense. Concrete (especially rebarred concrete) is an EXCELLENT stopper of wireless signal, especially in the 2.4 GHz band used by these routers. The fact that the walls are about a foot thick makes even more sense. Should you choose to go with another vendor, I sure hope you don't rant off to them, because you'll see the same issue.

Kudos to you, davo. That post is full of win.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 08-05-2009 04:32 PM

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 04:33:24 PM »

Mang, I removed your last post as per our guidelines.  I suggest you read them over or next time I will have to ban you.

Guidelines:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=BT1000Welcome&thread.id=1

mangkuk69

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 02:22:54 AM »

so what if i just Turn off the wireless g clients from the network, would that work? because that would not work as well. but other than that, i would like to apologise for what i said, cuz u know, frustration starts to take over and all that. so does this mean th wzr g300nh should only have n clients to INCREASE range, because like i said earlier, it does not. this means its all up to the structural integrity of the house(how it's built) that affects the range performance.

so can you reccommend me an example of a product that can bypass this limiting factor. then, is a 5ghz band better for range performance because thats my only concern rite now.

Message Edited by mangkuk69 on 08-06-2009 02:25 AM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »

N clients will show better range than G clients, but since you're going through concrete walls, you won't see much of a difference, if any.

If you can, move the router to a higher position (second story, etc). That's the simplest, yet most effective way of increasing wireless network range. If you can get the router high enough to avoid the concrete walls, you'll have even better luck.

Unfortunately, 5 GHz WiFi (802.11a) is even worse at penetrating obstructions than 2.4 GHz, so that's not really an option.