Author Topic: Cannot get buffalo wireless adaptor drivers to work (WLI-U2-KG125S)  (Read 7394 times)

mistermojo

• Calf
   Last week I downloaded and installed windows 7 64-bit. I use a wireless adaptor for my internet connection (Buffalo AirStation Wireless G WLI-U2-KG125S). I tried using the install disk first, it copies the driver files then asks me to insert my wireless, I do that and nothing happens. I waited for 15-20 minutes just to be on the safe side. If I try just putting the wireless in without using the install disk windows fails to install driver software. I tried downloading drivers from the Buffalo site (I used a LAN cable to get online) but I'm not 100% sure what I'm meant to do with them, there is no .exe or other executable file type there, just .sys files and a "System information" file. They are the only drivers on the site that would work with my model number, and they're the release drivers, there are no alternative Vista or Beta drivers (not even 32 or 64 bit alternatives).

I tried using device manager to locate the drivers I downloaded and the drivers on the disk (The same .sys files as the ones I downloaded), it fails to find any compatible driver software even if I point it right at the driver folder. I also tried using device manager to locate drivers online, it failed to find any again.

I know it's a bit late to be asking for help, I'm back on Vista 32-bit with all my programs installed at the moment (I know, I stupidly didn't even think about asking for help before I reinstalled), but any help would be appreciated :)

kc7jfv

• Calf
Re: Cannot get buffalo wireless adaptor drivers to work (WLI-U2-KG125S)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:21:07 AM »

One thing I noticed about driver installation procedure about this device is you have to follow the steps as described in the leaflet that comes with the device.  If I remember correctly, you have to insert the CD first and install the driver.  Then you have to reboot the computer and insert the adapter and then choose the path from the CD and then restart once again. 

I have successfully used it in Win2K, WinXP but not in Vista.  Does it show yellow exclamation on Device Manager?

Good luck.

mistermojo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:40:03 AM »

Thing is, they only work on Vista if I use the disk and insert the device when prompted. I've posted on the microsoft forums and have been recommend to run the setup.exe file on the disk in compatibility mode for windows vista so I'm gonna get back on Windows 7 and see if that works.

And yeah, there was a little exclamation mark next to the device in Device Manager, I guess that means the drivers were not installed correctly.

Thanks for the reply, I'll get back to you once I'm hopefully online on Win7. The trouble with the enclosed leaflet is that it only really applies to Windows XP/2K. Doing the same procedure works on Vista but not on 7, so I assume it's a compatibility problem. 

Message Edited by mistermojo on 07-30-2009 05:44 AM

mistermojo

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
   Back on 64-bit windows 7 at the moment, I'm still having the same problem. It copies the driver files then asks me to insert the device and wait. I insert it and nothing happens, but if I alt tab to the desktop windows tries "installing device driver software", then fails. I've tried compatiblity mode for windows XP aswell, same thing happens.

ncbro

• Calf

I just had a similar problem with a wl12-pci-g54s-3 on XP.  I tried all the things you did, followed instructions, downloaded drivers from Buffalo site to make sure and the message mostly come up with " file is corrupted or missing".  Or, trying a different method the message came up with "you are searching for the wrong .inf file"  or something to that order.  I researched the .inf text file on the installation CD and found the driver version number for xp.  I then looked in the installation CD folders win9x and win2000.  Well the version I needed was in the win2000 folder.  I went to my PC  windows\ system32\ drivers\    folder and found which drivers and files were installed on the date I did when it failed.  I deleted all the files that had to do with that date and the wrong driver.  I then went to the installation CD to the win2000 folder and manually copied all five files for an XP  to my windows system32 drivers.  I restarted my computer and the "found new hardware" tool worked like a champ and immediately installed the drivers I needed.  (because I put the right ones in myself).   The installation CD was installing the ones from the win9x folder !!!

PEConroy

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »

I have a recent fresh install of Windows XP SP2 - and my Buffalo Airstation Wireless G USB 2.0 will not work, I have downloaded the drivers from the site (as I lost the disc a long time ago) and I have installed them, but when I insert it into the USB drive as it says, the USB stick lights up but the computer doesn't read it - help please help, I've uninstalled, re-installed, I've even danced up and down and performed a rain dance, I really need this to work, it used to on my old system (XP SP2) again a long time ago, can someone please tell me what I need to do???

xombiekiller

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »

Hello, I am suffering similar problems and the Buffallo support doesn't seem to be very helpful.
I am currently running Win 7. I would like to get my  (WLI-U2-KG125S) AirStation Wireless-G USB stick to work.

Since my move to Ca i have lost the disks with the drivers. I went online and downloaded them, unzipped them and now have no idea what to do.  

So I contacted support and asked them.. they directed me to the same link to download the drivers. So I did.

I downloaded them, they instructed that I unzipped them, so I did. Than they said "double click on the exe file and follow the instructions,"  

There lies the problem, after unzipping the file... there is NO EXE. So I have no idea what to do. If anyone can shed some light on this for me...

For reference,  the link to the file I keep downloading is http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/U2KG125S.zip

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

xombiekiller

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »

How did you install the drivers? I can figure out how.