Author Topic: 802.11n Disabled even though channel bonding already setup + bittorent problem  (Read 8909 times)

mangkuk69

• Calf

hi, i bought this router(WZR HP G300nh)Nfiniti high power 3 days ago, and i must say it is an impressive router.

i read certain reviews and know so little about wireless n. i have already setup my router and port forwarded successfully but it bugs me to know that my wireless n devices receive maximum of 130 mbps and its range is the same as wireless g.

so i went to airstation setting>diagnostic>client monitor.

i felt like the veins in my head were about to pop. i saw wireless devices blah blha. ..  then 802.11n disabled for the wireless n clients. i am connected to the internet wirelessly and all but i want to get the speed that Buffalo had promised(300Mbps)

4 laptops- 2 802.11g enabled laptops(Dell 1390 802.11g card,Atheros G card), 2 ASUS 802.11n laptops (all wireless) and 3 wired desktops       ----------NOT USING AOSS to connect, in fact, it is disabled. i only have one SSID being broadcast. NOTE: The 802.11n laptops are brand new so they are supposed to get 300 mbps and over.

did some research and changed bandwidth on router to 40 mhz. but to no avail, still same thing. please give detailed instruction on how to solve this for XP and vista. i really patronise Buffalo products alot and it is heartbreaking to know this could happen. is it router or laptop????? is it because of wireless clients present on the netowrk that the router had step down the bandwidth so that G devices can connect????

ANOTHER problem.

torrent does not load to download manager and gives this error code

failed to load torrent file '/mnt/usb0_0/.BUFFALO/bittorrent/_torrent/(THE TORRENT NAME)

Im using a fat32 500gb drive with 70% capacity still available

MORE INFO

Model

WZR-HP-G300NH Ver.1.60 (R6.20/B1.03)

AirStation Name XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mode Switch Status Router Mode ON

Operational Mode Router Mode ON

Movie Engine Status OFF

Method of Acquiring IP Address Auto Detect Mode - DHCP

11n/g/b) Wireless Status Enabled

SSID xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Authentication WPA/WPA2 mixedmode - PSK                        

Encryption TKIP/AES mixedmode

Broadcast SSID Enable

Privacy Separator Disable

Wireless Channel 6 (Auto)

300Mbps Mode 40 MHz (Extension Channel : 10)

Message Edited by mangkuk69 on 07-25-2009 01:26 PM

Message Edited by mangkuk69 on 07-25-2009 01:28 PM

Aveyer

• Big Bull

You never said what router your using but I assume it's the WZR-HP-G300NH? If the channel width in the router is set to 40mhz make sure the N adapters in the laptops are also set to 40mhz. Try disconnecting all the G clients and then connect the N clients and see what the connection speed is and whether the client monitor says N is enabled/disabled.

Not sure about the torrent problem.

mangkuk69

• Calf
   yes correct, please re-read my post again(updated)

mangkuk69

• Calf

can u give instructions on how to configure n adapters to 40mhz mode??? i even updated the drivers but i had one successful attempt. WIndows says the n device is getting 135mbps but the ralink 2860 utility says transmit 150mbps and receive 300mbps. although the speeds  "MAY" have been fixed, the range is still the same as g devices go. the signal transmitting to n adapter penetrates 2 separated walls(each 40cm) and empty space of 3-4Metres and dies at my house last room. no other 2.4ghz devices than router. i live in a small house(flat) but reason upgraded is so that my bro who lives next door can use the same internet connection and file sharing. BTW, the client says n mode is enabled for n devices but IM PISSED WITH THE RANGE IM GETTING, EVEN WITH N.

Graphic illustration:(|represents wall) (*router) (X Computer)  * |----|---- X

please tell me if i have gotten a defective unit because im soo gonna be dead if the signal cant reach my bros house which is 10metres away and he is upgrading to wireless n.

i really need to test how far 802.11n can go with this. .. .  . reviews mention at least average of 100m. my bros house is just directly opposite, across the doorstep. wireless g dies at the doorstep. i need wireless n to go in at least a further 15m. btw, if i estimate how far my bros last room to my house last room, it is about 20-30m + a total of 5 walls in between. quite small huh.

mangkuk69

• Calf

could you help me out abit. using wzr g300nh 

see, i have 2 wireless n devices and 2 wireless g devices. the client monitor says the 2 wireless n devices have 802.11n technology enabled but the speeds and range registered from the devices themselves tell another story. they get only 130 mbps rather than the 300mbps buffalo said and distance is the same as wireless g. could not go further.

if you know of a solution, pls give instructions because im in real dire need of troubleshooting this problem. im exhausted. cant find a solution, so i headed here to the forums. i have already changed the bandwidth on router to 40Mhz. you said to change the n adapter bandwidth settings which i dont know. pls give detailede instruction on how to change the adpter settings.

any kind souls out there. . . pls help this old man.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
   You should be able to change the adapter to 40mhz mode with whatever software that came with it.

sing

• Calf

I also bought a 300NH and also not impressed by the transmission power of the router.  I am living in a small flat too, router locates at the living room, the Imac in living room get very good signal(it is wirelessly connected to router), which is true "N" I believe(enable shown in the client monitor by Buffalo UI), but not impressive I must say(my old TPLINK router did roughly the same at 1/2 price), I admit the speed of loading web page is faster but streaming files to my NAS has no significant difference.  The biggest problem is that it has not much improvement on the connection between my router and the PC in my bedroom.  The bedroom is at the end of a hallway, though no direct sight contact between the router and the N USB adaptor of the PC, but I assume this will be better than your situation(2 walls between router and client).  The signal is not stronger and speed claims to be faster(signal 3 out of 5, and speed between 80-130mbps, very unstable), but in practice, the connection is not stable, yes, web page loading is faster, a bit, but the connection keeps terminated and requires reconnect.  Annoying, but I cam live with that.

What really bugs me is the capability of BT, I use my NAS(GLAN connected to router) to conduct the work but the speed is very slow and unstable!  In my old TPLINK by the same NAS, the BT speed is not great but reasonable, it could reach max. 2.5mbps DL rate  and usually average DL rate is approx. 2mbps.  I thought new router could do better but I was wrong, the 300NH simply slow down the BT jobs, when I start the jobs the rate will go up to max. roughly 2.5mb totally, no better than the TPLINK, and it will slow down to 20-30kbps total DL rate after it reach the top speed for no more than 1 minute!!!!

I tried different setting, which is not required on my TPLINK, including port forward, MTU on my NAS, DL/UL bandwidth on my NAS.......just won't work.  I am very frsutrated, I am about to give up this router.  I admit on other aspects, GLAN for example, is excellent, my media player has much faster response after using 300NH, but I don't expect to spend USD90 just for the GLAN, I want good N wireless connection as well as reasonable DL capability which are basics of a router.

Message Edited by sing on 07-26-2009 10:10 PM

mangkuk69

• Calf

I need to know whats wrong with tha range on mine. i agree that with a little less buck, u can get a straight out of the box performer. I like that this router performed straight out of the box but i hva eproblems with the range. its the same as g. but higher speeds. is it some marketing scam that buffalo is putting up? to enjoy full N capability, upgrade to buffalo N products?

If the problem still persists and no forum moderator comes to rectify the prob, im goona boycot them and support D-link INDEFINITELY and say a hands down NONoO to my friends who want to buy buffalo products.

SO about the range, is it the adapter or router???i feel that this router has potential. router already set to 40Mhz.  adapter. . . i;ll check it out later.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
   What N adapters are you using? The adapters you have might not support 300mbps data rates, some adapters are 150mbps and some are 300mbps. The router DOES support up to 300mbps (40mhz mode)and so you'll need an adapter than also supports 300mbps (40mhz mode) for that speed.For the signal, check in advanced wireless settings that the output power is at 100%, and range will still depend on the adapter used.
Message Edited by Aveyer on 07-27-2009 05:54 PM

mangkuk69

• Calf

Sir, where do i go to find advanced wireless settings? the router or the adapter? If its the router, all i see is this:

Multicast Rate Auto

DTIM Period 1

Privacy Separator Disable

i need to know where did i go wrong. why N range is same as G.

N adapters: Ralink 2860 mini pci and intel 4965agn mini pci. all the adapters are certified AGN Capable. i hope this helps.

Another info to help u all solve this prob.

Wireless Radio Enable

Wireless Channel Auto Channel (Current Channel: 6)

300Mbps Mode Band Width : 40 MHz
Extension Channel : 1

Broadcast SSID Allow

Message Edited by mangkuk69 on 07-28-2009 03:27 AM

Aveyer

• Big Bull
   In the advanced wireless settings of the router there should be an option for output power, usually it's default at 100%.There might be power options for the adapters too, check the software or there could be options in the driver which you could change in device manager. According to the manafacturers websites of the adapters both of them support up to 300mbps so check for 40mhz options in the driver or software.
Message Edited by Aveyer on 07-28-2009 05:35 PM