Author Topic: USBDISK1 Keeps dropping  (Read 9228 times)

lobo170

• Calf
USBDISK1 Keeps dropping
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »

I have a Terastation TS-H2.0TGLR5 that has a Seagate Freeagent XTreme USB drive attached for backups.   This USB drive drops from the Terastation randomly ( but at least 1x per day) and the Backup process gives the following errors;

-------- BEGIN BACKUP 2008/10/09 07:33:45 array1/Sales - --------
building file list ...
735 files to consider
rsync: mkdir "/mnt/usbdisk1/200810090733" failed: Input/output error (5)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(509) [receiver=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463) [sender=2.6.8]
-------- END BACKUP 2008/10/09 07:33:47 array1/Sales ->

What is causing the USB drive to fail and How can I correct this

I have updated the firmware to the latest release to no avail

Steve Wolfe

ScottP

• Tatanka
Re: USBDISK1 Keeps dropping
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »

First, make sure you've formatted the USB disk using the internal format page on the TeraStation itself.  While it is possible to run backups to FAT32-formatted drives, it can be unreliable.  NTFS is not supported at all for writing, only reading.  Formatting the USB disk with either XFS or EXT3 file systems will help it better communicate with the NAS.

If the drive itself is actually disconnecting, and becoming inaccessible entirely, you may want to test with another USB disk of a different model or brand.  While incompatibilies are rare, we have seen some drives over the time this product has been out that do have problems mouting on the TeraStation's USB ports.  Technically it should work with any USB Mass Storage Device that doesn't require drivers on the host.

lobo170

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 06:29:02 AM »

ScottP

Thanks for the reply.  The USB drive is formatted XFS.  I will try a different USB device and see if that makes any difference.  

Steve 

buffal0buff

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:43:27 PM »

I have a linkstation pro (ls-500gl) and I have the exact same problem--USB disconnects after inactivity and needs to be manually unplugged/plugged to reactivate.

I formatted my usbdisk1 as ext3 using the linkstation web config.  I have the latest firmware, 1.11.   My USB is a Western Digital mypassport 160GB external 5400rpm harddrive.  (I can provide more detailed info if necessary.)

Please help!

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »

I've got a Buffalo 500gb USB2 Extreme hard disk attached to my 2TB Terastation.  It's formatted XFS and I've never been able to get a reliable backup on it.

The staggeringly slow backup speed, incomplete backup sets, and the inability to reasonably monitor/control a backup that's underway, I've all but given up on the built in backup mechanisms.

Has anyone had good experience with the backup feature?  Maybe I'm missing something fundamental.

buffal0buff

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »

Hey Alan:

Your problem is valid, but does not belong in this email thread. This thread is about usbdisk1 dropping after a period of inactivity. 

Please create a new thread.  I've had problems similar to yours, and I'm sure others have too.  Specifically, I've had the following problems:

1) miscellaneous problems when I formatted USB with XFS and FAT (try ext3)

2)"backup type" options are confusing.  There are two options named "Overwrite backup  Complete/Differential)".  Even though they are named the same, they do things differently.  **I finally had success with the 2nd one.**

3)backup troubleshooting is difficult unless you enable email notification and backup logs.  The status messages in the web config utility offer indication of success/failure, but no diagnostic info.  If you setup email notification, (available on linkstation pro) you'll get more real time diagnostic info, but it's not always helpful.  On you backup job (at least on linkstation pro) you have the option to create a backup log file, which gets placed in the backup source directory.  It provides more detailed info than email (but could still be more verbose:  for example, show the linux backup command that was used).

*4) 4th backup option in linkstation pro "Overwrite backup (differential)" renamed some of my backup source files! A handful of apparently random files were renamed from "filename" to "filename." Backup source files should never be modified:  hopefully Buffalo will fix this.

Good luck!

Message Edited by buffal0buff on 10-16-2008 05:29 PM

coolcad

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »

I'm having the same problem.  I have an HS-DH500GL with a Western Digital Passport external HD with 250Gb.  Formatted the drive in XFS using the Linkstation software and everything works fine.  Set up several backups and ran some.  But now the USB1 drive is being dropped just about every night. 

Can someone from Buffalo address this problem?

Message Edited by coolcad on 01-08-2009 02:40 PM

anathemapth

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:22:23 AM »

I have this problem too. I have a Maxtor One-Touch attached and I formatted XFS with the LiveStation software (I have the LS-CHL330). USBDISK1 is gone after a reboot after successfully moving files to the Maxtor. Now in Drive Properties it says the following:

USB DISK INFORMATION

-------------------

USB Disk 1   Manufacturer       Maxtor

Model Name         One Touch

Unit Name           One Touch

Total Capacity     Not Available

File Format          Not Available

I think it may have to do with the Buffalo drive recognizing the partition that, oddly enough, it created. 

anathemapth

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 10:01:16 PM »
   Well, since no one seems to have a solution to this problem, on a related note, I want to get my data off of the USB drive that was formatted with XFS, however, I cannot seem to mount it on any *nix box that supports XFS. Did Buffalo do something special to the XFS partitions? Am I completely screwed?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 06:41:05 PM »
It's a standard XFS format, nothing special. I'll forward the issues you have all reported to our corporate office. Thanks for your help, input, and patience.

coolcad

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 07:56:18 PM »

ONe thing I have noticed is that it disconnects on regular basis when I have backup jobs setup...not jobs running, but jobs scheduled to run.  Sometimes the job will run and sometimes it disconnects at the start of the job.  Often when I unplug and reconnect the drive, about five error messages will get sent to my inbox for disc errors.  And if I read some the error log files in the back up job, they all refer to not being able to mount the drive.

So I changed all by back up jobs so that they are not scheduled.  I run them manually (immediately). Everything has been working fine since then.  The drive rarely disconnects now.  I've probably gone 2 weeks now without the drive disconnecting. 

None of this makes any sense!!

cvwcorp

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »

I too have this exact same problem, on a drive that worked fine in previous firmware versions. I'm now on 2.16 and all scheduled backups fail with the error:

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463) [sender=2.6.8]

Is this a recognized issue by Buffalo, and is there a fix in the works??

simes

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 05:45:38 AM »

Any updates on this?

I've bought 4x 1.5TB USB drives and am trying to back up my data from my 4x TS-H2.0GTL/5. I'm experiencing a similiar problem and could really do with an answer.:)

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 06:07:03 AM »

Is this 4 single drives or one 4 drive unit?

It will only recognize single drives!

What firmware version do you have?

Update it, then go

Web GUI> Maintenance> Intialization> Restore to Defaults (this restores all settings but will not touch the data)

Please explain the issue a little more... Does it is disconnect randomly? often? both USB ports? 

Also make sure that you reboot the TS after plugging a drive into it so that the driver can properly start, as this does not have Plug n Play.

cvwcorp

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »

RE: Updating the firmware - This is the problem. Firmware 2.16 is the only available download (for my HD-H1.6TGL/R5 anyway), and that firmware is what introduced this problem. My Terastation has backed up perfectly reliably until I installed 2.16, and now it's all kinds of trouble. It absolutely won't run scheduled backups without failing, and if I start backups manually, it still failes about 60% of the time.

How can we access older versions of the firmware?